• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
:thinking:

So I'm thinking of buying the HTC EVO V 4G. However I've seen that it has that pesky sms radio problem and was wondering if there had been any new ways to fix it if I encounter it. I've seen many ways but the majority of them force me to root my phone. I really don't want to root it because I have 0 technical experience and with a limited income I CANNOT afford to have a $300 paper weight. So my question is...........Is there a way for me to fix it without rooting? And if push comes to shove and I have to root:mad: Is there a way I wont end up with a high end paper weight?

To me this phone was easier to root than the Optimus because the OV drivers sometimes would not play well. The fact that there is a Youtube video of a person following the instructions to the letter helps a lot. Watch the video while reading the instructions as a dry practice run without the phone and see how comfortable you feel before actually attempting it.

Upvote 0
The fix went smooth for me, once HTC would actually accept my registration for their site for the unlock. And rooting should be considered almost a given on ANY android Phone, the best parts of the OS aren't there until you do. If you had to go through crap like this on a flip phone or "featurephone"... yeah that would suck.
Using a stock Android is like buying an HP or Dell and leaving all the pre-installed junkware on it :D

Upvote 0
I watched the video and it doesn't seem that hard. I think I'll be able to pull it off. Really a shame that I have to go through such "hassle" just to enjoy the phone though.

You don't have to. If you get an SMS error just go to setting and disable then re enable mobile data and it will work again.
But if you have to do that more then one time a day it would get really annoying so that my rooting it is easier in a way

Upvote 0
Rooting and getting S-OFF are easy even for people with absolutely no technical experience. There are tons of guides that have really helpful instructions. And as long as you follow those guides, you'll have no problems.

This phone is good out of the box, but it's great once you tweak it a bit.

Upvote 0
Rooting and getting S-OFF are easy even for people with absolutely no technical experience. There are tons of guides that have really helpful instructions. And as long as you follow those guides, you'll have no problems.

This phone is good out of the box, but it's great once you tweak it a bit.

Agreed. Unfortunately it feels a little dated when you're out and you see RAZRs, One Xs and SIIIs, but it's still a powerful phone.

I've rooted, S-offed, and nearly bricked a time or two, but there's enough help on this forum to prevent you from ever doing anything irreparable if you can read instructions. And you can use any of what seems like a billion different roms.

Upvote 0
The One X and Razr's have a 1.5Ghz dual core compared to our "slow" 1.2Ghz dual core. Also we "only" have 1GB RAM. Sure, the hardware is a little better, but honestly is there anything those phones run that ours can't? Throw on a custom ROM, overclock to 1.5Ghz, and get an extended battery and you won't feel outdated at all. Since my Evo V 4G is labeled Sprint on the front I just tell people it's an Evo 3D and really it pretty much is. This phone is not dated just yet.

Upvote 0
If you want everything working out of the box without any modification get an iphone. If you like customizing your phone and tinkering with it get an Android. I recommend iphones to family and friends who aren't very good with technology. It's all personal preference and comes down to what's good for you.
Sorry, but Iphones aren't perfect either.

How about the new map system or the famous antenna issue on the 4. Or even the fact that you rarely see one without a case because they are so fragile.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but Iphones aren't perfect either.

Oh by no means! I prefer my Evo over any Iphone. The Iphone 5 is metal instead of glass on the back now so that should help with the durability. The new maps system is also terrible, but that's their own fault for ditching Google Maps. All the lawsuits filed by Apple against phone manufacturers for Google really annoy me. The company is doing everything they can to combat Google even if it means sacrificing functionality and screwing over their own consumers.

My point was merely that iOS is simpler than android and people who are clueless when it comes to technology can use an Iphone easier than an Android phone.

Upvote 0
It's not as hard as it makes it sound in writing, it's much easier when it's actually done. I also have a "limited" income (not sure what that means..I don't think anyone has unlimited) and I took the chance and never looked back.

Lol limited income means that I can't afford to go out and buy another phone if this one gets screwed up.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones