• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Force Awakens

I think Hollywood is now too scared to come up with something that is a bit risky. This film was practically guaranteed to rake in millions, but I think they played it too safe.
It's odd that I haven't seen this view in any reviews I've read, but that is my opinion. Sorry, don't flame me for it, there's nobody more disappointed than me, I'm a die-hard SW fan.

Upvote 0
I think Hollywood is now too scared to come up with something that is a bit risky. This film was practically guaranteed to rake in millions, but I think they played it too safe.
It's odd that I haven't seen this view in any reviews I've read, but that is my opinion. Sorry, don't flame me for it, there's nobody more disappointed than me, I'm a die-hard SW fan.

Agreed. Hollywood is out of ideas.

I think they had to appeal to "new viewers" who weren't going to go back and watch 6 movies (they could PROBABLY skip Ep 1-3). Not everyone is going to like it so I understand and respect your view.

My son loved it and I still think they did the series justice. The goal was also to set up the next 2 movies and I think they did that. All the guessing games begin now. Only 17 months until Episode 8!

Upvote 0

I think they had to appeal to "new viewers" who weren't going to go back and watch 6 movies (they could PROBABLY skip Ep 1-3). Not everyone is going to like it so I understand and respect your view.

My son loved it and I still think they did the series justice. The goal was also to set up the next 2 movies and I think they did that. All the guessing games begin now. Only 17 months until Episode 8!

And Rogue One in just under a year.

Upvote 0

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a good film. It just didn't blow my socks off, and I expected more in terms of imagination and creativity. It just felt a lot like we've been here before. Maybe I was expecting too much from this film, but possibly things will be developed more in future episodes. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
You're right though, newcomers who maybe haven't seen the first films will probably have a completely diferent impression.

Upvote 0
BTW is there a thread where people who have seen it can discuss this film. There are a couple of things bothering me :D

I thought the Sith baddie sounded a lot like Javier Bardem (the psycopath from 'No country for old men'). Imagine that dude as a Sith Lord.

Or Anthony Hopkins ... "Luke, I ate your father."

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a good film. It just didn't blow my socks off, and I expected more in terms of imagination and creativity. It just felt a lot like we've been here before. Maybe I was expecting too much from this film, but possibly things will be developed more in future episodes. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
You're right though, newcomers who maybe haven't seen the first films will probably have a completely diferent impression.
There was simply NOOO way it was going to live up to expectations. Long time fans were anticipating this, the return of the OG characters for far too long. I give this movie a 10/10. But I was honestly expecting/hoping for a 15/10. Was I disappointed? No. But I was guilty of building it up too much before seeing it.
BTW is there a thread where people who have seen it can discuss this film. There are a couple of things bothering me :D

I thought the Sith baddie sounded a lot like Javier Bardem (the psycopath from 'No country for old men'). Imagine that dude as a Sith Lord.

The supreme leader? That was Andy Serkis (golem)

Upvote 0
Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
When do long awaited sequels and prequels ever live up to all their hype and expectations. Episode I: The Phantom Menace certainly didn't IMO.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
You can see why they were tempted to re-hash so much of the original trilogy, if only to reassure people that the film was like the originals and not the prequels. As long as the second and third move on from that, I can forgive it.
COMPLETELY agree. JJ did his thing, now move on and give us more originality. [edit cause i'm dumb and dont remember syntax for hide tags] I want to see/know more of what is actually going on in my favorite universe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones