• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The fourth dimensionnnn!!!!!

This sounds really like a "high times" talk I know but I got to thinking. The fourth dimension in a physics sence its a universe within a universe. So then would that be the internet?! Is the internet the fourth dimension?!

Ik it sounds dumb but I couldn't help but to giggle over the idea haha

The internet is just a bunch of interconnected computers. Same dimension we're in. We made them... etc.

I don't believe in "dimensions" anyway.. with the notable exception of measurements. :D

Upvote 0
4th dimension is simply time.

5th Dimension was a singing group that existed before the internet.

I'm sure the 5th Dimension were around at the same time as the Internet.
InternetRadioBox1.jpg

"This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius...." :thrasher:

Upvote 0
This sounds really like a "high times" talk I know but I got to thinking. The fourth dimension in a physics sence its a universe within a universe. So then would that be the internet?! Is the internet the fourth dimension?!

Ik it sounds dumb but I couldn't help but to giggle over the idea haha

No, the internet is a large collection of inter-connected computers and networks. It is no more another dimention than a large library.

We do not know if there is a 4th dimension.

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
i think the OP is thinking deminsions are universes.. place of existing.

so.. if the interent were to grow bigger... and more powerful.. with virtual locations and games.. with AIs running around...
then it would be a sort of universe in our universe.

just trying to think out of the box..

Upvote 0
We do not know if there is a 4th dimension.

Please don't include me in that we. :D

Physics specifies that time is the 4th dimension.

You can measure it, you can travel through it and you can tunnel through it.

Just as you can convert feet into yards using a conversion factor, you can convert distance into time using the spacetime conversion factor, aka c.

More popularly called the speed of light.

Upvote 0
Haha people took this thread rather seriously :p

Yes physics states that time is the fourth dimension, but I certainly learned about the 5th dimension, the singing group before the internet, or even at the same time xD

I meant for it to be a high rant. I was hoping for replies about how computers are taking over the world and one day we will be living in a virtual machine with the os its running is named "earth" lol

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
I hate to be the fun police but I think according to quantum mechanics there are 7 dimensions.

7 higher dimensions plus 4 standard dimensions for a total of 11.

String theorists argued about 11 or 26 for some time, but M theory seems to have settled it for now.

So, there are 4 more dimensions of fun than you previously thought. :)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
7 higher dimensions plus 4 standard dimensions for a total of 11.

String theorists argued about 11 or 26 for some time, but M theory seems to have settled it for now.

So, there are 4 more dimensions of fun than you previously thought. :)

Engineer, not physicist so as soon as they figure out how to blow up those other dimensions I'm in.

Upvote 0
Well "settled" is a bit strong - as an experimentalist I am still waiting for a falsifiable prediction from string theory or any of it's derivatives. ;)

(But yeah, the string theorists have been settled on 11 for a while.)

Quantum mechanics is broader than string theory, and does not specify any particular number of dimensions. Technically quantum mechanics uses infinite-dimensional vector spaces, but that's state vectors and should not be confused with spatial dimensions ;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones