• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

the future of HSPA on T-metro

THE W

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2012
Detroit
is newCo getting rid of this along with CDMA or are they gonna keep it? i really like the oppo N1 and don't mind not having LTE as HSPA speeds are more than enough to do what you need unless you wanna turn your 4G connection into a torrent server. won't do me any good if they plan on getting rid of it though.

so whats the word?

Reactions: alfick3
is newCo getting rid of this along with CDMA or are they gonna keep it? i really like the oppo N1 and don't mind not having LTE as HSPA speeds are more than enough to do what you need unless you wanna turn your 4G connection into a torrent server. won't do me any good if they plan on getting rid of it though.

so whats the word?
HSPA is not likely to go anywhere for the next 6 to 8 years.

Right now with LTE in its infancy it just does not cover enough ground to displace HSPA then on top of that at this time voice calls are only able to be placed over the HSPA network. If and when voice calls become VOIP then they can travel along the LTE network because LTE is a data only network.

Reactions: mike28 and alfick3
Upvote 0
On my note 3 sometimes when i call it shows VoLTE..when im on lte of course..
metropcs tried doing VOIP, or more accurately Voice Over LTE network. T-mobile will not be expanding that but they will try to accommodate any phones that are already capable of doing it.
Let me rephrase this, at the time of the merger talks that was the position but since then if your note 3 is showing that maybe they are expanding it.
I do not know in which instances VOLTE is used I would guess anytime the CDMA network is not accessible but the LTE network is.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile will keep HSPA+ running on the 1900PCS band for the foreseeable future. The 1700/2100AWS band not so much.

They'll be making PCS their main HSPA band then AWS and whatever spectrum they acquire from now will be LTE

There were even talks about expanding to H+84 but in a way that doesn't use additional spectrum(MIMO). Also that way they can keep H+42 but use less spectrum, the amount they'd traditionally use for H+21.

Upvote 0

yes im on wifi but it goes IN and OUT.. normally on wifi calling when I swipe it to the right it will say "call" I have been out and about and it has shown volte call... without being on wifi...it happens RARELY but it does..this was one of the times I caught it...I tried to do it like 3 mins later and it went away..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones