• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The future of the Games on Android devices

nandosk8

Jul 15, 2013
Brazil
Hi my friends,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with Android 4.1.2, and I use it especially for playing games (RPG, action...). And I like very much my device, cannot complain at all, but... what is the future of the games for android?

I have noticed that there are more quality (and more titles) games on iOS, and besides that, the iOS's games usually arrive first on market, and then they release for Android (when it does...sometimes they don't release). Why?

I mean, I have read some articles with the subject Android vs iOS (about games), and they say with iOS they get better results ($$$ making money), and it's more complicated to support android because there are so many devices (different hardware - Fragmented Platform).

I think this is the main problem of Android. If we look into the comments on Google Play, we always find someone who says "I have a smartphone XYZ, and the game does not start (or crashes)...".

But I have faith on Android... I believe it could be better in the future. And what about your opinion?? But if does not get better (about games), I may try iPad, who knows. PS: I would like to play "Infinity Blade" on android... :)

Thank you.

I mean, I have read some articles with the subject Android vs iOS (about games), and they say with iOS they get better results ($$$ making money),

Myself, I can definitely see making money being an issue. Where I am(China), and in many other countries, paid apps for Android are not available, although freemium is. Google Play is free and ad-supported and freemium only, whereas paid iOS apps are available. Where I am, paid apps and games are basically pirated, and that's it. Other thing is it's more difficult and inconvenient to pirate iOS apps, because one has to actually jailbreak the iOS device.

and it's more complicated to support android because there are so many devices (different hardware - Fragmented Platform).

There's many different devices, but I think if you're going to develop an app or game that requires a high specification device that requires a certain minimum version of Android, just don't expect it to run on anything less and you don't support it. Like if one develops a state of the art PC game that requires a certain minimum spec, one is not going to expect people to run it on an Atom CPU netbook PC.

I think this is the main problem of Android. If we look into the comments on Google Play, we always find someone who says "I have a smartphone XYZ, and the game does not start (or crashes)...".

But I have faith on Android... I believe it could be better in the future. And what about your opinion?? But if does not get better (about games), I may try iPad, who knows. PS: I would like to play "Infinity Blade" on android... :)

Thank you.

That's my thoughts and ideas.

Upvote 0
Android gaming will improve of course, but will always lag behind whats available on the iPhone, even when we get the same games there not as well optimized, Google should offer more support to developers.

Android developers are focusing on too many devices, I know it harsh but they need to stop supporting older hardware.

Also the drivers they have to work with are horrible, qualcomm, arm and powervr need to improve the drivers so developers don't have to work around bugs constantly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones