1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The Google app handles image downloads and sharing very poorly

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by dakshay95, Jul 3, 2020.

1. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

Images don't even show up on Google Photos or in the photo gallery unless you tap on the "download complete" notification and even then you don't have the option to edit the photo like with other photos. I pressed the share button and it sent a bin file on Discord. Even if you long press the image from the search result and press share, the link doesn't even generate an image preview on Discord.

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Is this the app called "Google" you are using for downloads?

Simple fix: if it's crap, just use something else. A browser will do search and download just fine, plenty of those to choose from.

(Disclosure: I hate search bar widgets, I don't use Assistant, I don't use voice search with Maps, hence I have no use at all for the Google app. So I don't even know how bad it is for this task as I disabled it years ago).

puppykickr, Dannydet and Davdi like this.
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Yeah. Never download using the Google app, always use a browser for that and your ease of use will be much better

puppykickr, MrJavi and Davdi like this.
  4. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Wot he said!

puppykickr and Dannydet like this.
  5. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Try Duck Duck Go or other privacy-related search engine. Coupled with Brave Browser, they will search for images and download them just fine. Throw in a VPN, too, if you like.

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

What I dont like about Brave is the size, and the permissions that it has.

Download Files Without Permission is a permission that I tend to avoid with the apps that I choose to use.

#6 puppykickr, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  7. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Me too. I use Firefox withDuckDuckGo as my search engine, and DNS oer HTTPS enabled, using the default Cloudflare DNS servers.