1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The Google Assistant button becomes useful

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by markdoc, Apr 3, 2020.

1. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

This is worth reading but hold off for a week or so. This app is only available on the XDA site. The app is called Button Mapper. The new version will be on Google Play in a week or so. For me, the Google Assistant button has been a worthless use of space. There was absolutely no need for it. Well I just finished helping a developer (for free, I don't get a kickback) test his app that remaps the Google Assistant button and it works! Besides remapping other hardware buttons (which I don't use) you can make the Google Assistant button do 3 different things by pressing, double pressing and/or long pressing the button. It can open apps, open shortcuts, various system controls, media controls, it's amazing. You do have to pay for the Pro version and it does take some effort to get it to work. (You need a separate computer to download another app, may have to disable a setting until its configured & cable connect your phone to your computer.) But I went through all the different things necessary and it was worth every minute. The author was great and for our group, I'd be happy to help. I have mine set to open an app, take a screenshot & start the flashlight. But I will be trying different things as time passes. BTW: I did get the app for free, nothing more. You can ask me anything (about the app) and I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

#1 markdoc, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    illenicK and Medstar1 like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

I've basically felt the same way. Turn on the flashlight, though, sounds good.

3. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

Here is a very small sample of some of the things it can do:
    Screenshot_20200403-200504.png

illenicK likes this.
  4. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

I see that it would only activate the flashlight when the screen is on.

I'm certain that it's an Android limitation but I'd like to active it when the screen is off.

5. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I am happy to tell you that it turns the flashlight on when the screen is off & the phone is locked.

illenicK likes this.
  6. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

There is a setting where you can stop it working when the screen is locked:
    Screenshot_20200403-222438.png

7. Medstar1

Medstar1 Member

Sounds like a winner. Thanks for sharing this.

8. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

Screenshot_20200404-121251.png If anyone wants to download it from XDA, here is the link:
    https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/flar2.homebutton
    Since this isn't the Google version, the instructions aren't great. And you can use this free version on the hardware buttons as is. But to remaining the Google button, you have to pay. This is the same version that I am using now.
    You have to have an account to download it. (They are free)
    Here is a screenshot of the free app. The assistant button doesn't work:

illenicK likes this.

LG V40 ThinQ Forum

The LG V40 ThinQ release date was October 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 16MP camera, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

October 2018
Release Date
Reviews