• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The HTC EVO 4G off-topic Banter thread

For some reason mine has been rebooting itself like crazy. Out of no-where it will just reboot. FroYo going to fix this?

Likely not - sounds like you've got a rogue app or system conflict (caused by maybe some not-great apps).

Suggest you try aLogcat, free from the Market and keep an eye on things.

You're looking for any error lines in red, ones that start with "E/" at the beginning of the line.

Scanning logs is daunting - so - Menu-> Pause and then Menu to share the log with yourself by email for quicker, easier scanning for that. Then clear the log to that point, and go back to what you were doing by getting out using the Home key.

Suggest you might want to try that BEFORE you get your Froyo update, so you have a stable phone to update in the first place.

REALLY STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT.

Upvote 0
Likely not - sounds like you've got a rogue app or system conflict (caused by maybe some not-great apps).

Suggest you try aLogcat, free from the Market and keep an eye on things.

You're looking for any error lines in red, ones that start with "E/" at the beginning of the line.

Scanning logs is daunting - so - Menu-> Pause and then Menu to share the log with yourself by email for quicker, easier scanning for that. Then clear the log to that point, and go back to what you were doing by getting out using the Home key.

Suggest you might want to try that BEFORE you get your Froyo update, so you have a stable phone to update in the first place.

REALLY STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT.
Wow, thank you! :)

Now, will this app log activity that happened after a reboot so I can find out what went wrong?

Upvote 0
Wow, thank you! :)

Now, will this app log activity that happened after a reboot so I can find out what went wrong?

I'm not sure - but it may not span bootups - can't tell, I've been up too long, maybe....

Just so we're clear - this is a unix-based system so the logs are already there - this app just lets you get at them.

You can just check as you go along if you like - won't hurt anything.

I'm going to bet in advance that you might see all sorts of bad things happening long before it degrades to the point of a reboot.

AND - just so we're clear - you're NOT using any sort of task killer, right?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure - but it may not span bootups - can't tell, I've been up too long, maybe....

Just so we're clear - this is a unix-based system so the logs are already there - this app just lets you get at them.

You can just check as you go along if you like - won't hurt anything.

I'm going to bet in advance that you might see all sorts of bad things happening long before it degrades to the point of a reboot.

AND - just so we're clear - you're NOT using any sort of task killer, right?
Correct, NO task killers are being used. I've been checking the log, I can't figure out what the problem is though. :(

Okay, right after reboot, it just showed this junk:

http://paste2.org/p/935412

And here's the full log:

http://paste2.org/p/935413

Upvote 0
Correct, NO task killers are being used. I've been checking the log, I can't figure out what the problem is though. :(

Well, since we talked on this, somebuddy already the update has solved this exact same problem for them - so now I'm confused, too.

A few people have only been able to get the update to work by doing a factory reset.

I sure hate to give bad advice, but you might think about doing a full backup and then going for the update.

You need to be at 1.47 (About phone -> Software number) for the update to work right, according to those that had problems with the installation itself failing.

PS - Just saw your logs. :) OK, I'll go through those as soon as I can.

Upvote 0
Well, since we talked on this, somebuddy already the update has solved this exact same problem for them - so now I'm confused, too.

A few people have only been able to get the update to work by doing a factory reset.

I sure hate to give bad advice, but you might think about doing a full backup and then going for the update.

You need to be at 1.47 (About phone -> Software number) for the update to work right, according to those that had problems with the installation itself failing.

PS - Just saw your logs. :) OK, I'll go through those as soon as I can.
I appreciate the help. :)

BTW, I am using JuiceDefender (Ultimate/Pro).

Upvote 0
9eec492b.png

3799b24f.png

uhhh.....Awesome?....Visited the forums.......Some facebook usage while i was at work...Email Set to Push Every 5 min...Weather Bug and and all other syncs set to the most frequent...Batt Statt Says im at 51 Percent...Not bad for 9 Hours

Upvote 0
This may sound silly, but I got the idea on trips taken with family as a kid, spotting the Volkswagons, only we didn't punch we just went for colors. So since I was watching the new fall line up today I thought I spotted a few Android phones where as previous seasons I saw either blackberrys or Iphones.

I guess in other words see how many Android phones--no matter who the carrier is-- how many per show.

I spotted at least three on Chuck, two on Gossip Girl and one on Hawaii Five-O

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones