• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews The "I Got Mine" Unboxing and First Impressions Thread

well i'm running on 4 hours of sleep thanx to the Dodger/Padre game going 16 innings!!!!!!!!!! so i feel your exhaustion.

so i just got home and it feels like xmas has arrived early!!!!!! i am currently syncing and updating the phone from my old phone via smart switch.

my first impression is........damn!!!!!!! that screen on both sides are extremely beautiful. the refresh rates makes flipping thru things so zippy. can't wait for tomorrow to take it out in the wild.

now i need a case.

Upvote 0
It's here! I opened it: and it's every bit as stunning as people say it is. I will have to send back the dual phone holster, however... with the case on the phone, it's just too tight a fit and too difficult to put in and take out.

I'm also on the fence about the flip case, as it does cover the outer screen. Trying to unfold the phone is a two-stage process, then: the first stage, opening the flip case to get to the outer screen so that you can then get your thumb into position to open the main screen. What a pain, just to have an S Pen handy! Hopefully there will be some enterprising company that comes out with a case that actually works. This one, not so much.

20210826_200143.jpg
20210826_200154.jpg
20210826_200213.jpg
20210826_200248.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Quick video of... well, video

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApMnnUCLHyjFlKMyGbcPugsOLCKdmA?e=h3xzoY

EDIT: I just watched some of the opening sequences of Star Wars III and IV with the Fold 3 and my Sony headphones. That 120Hz display makes all the difference in the world: and the audio rattled my brain! I put the headphones on the Darling Bride, standing in the living room, and let her watch the opening sequence of Episode III - she was literally weaving and I had to hold her up! She was like "OH WOW..."

:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yeh i just didnt like the flip case. i promptly returned that and opted for the aramid like i had on the fold 2. that flap on the front serves no purpose (my opinion) and you cant use it for a stand. i keep the fold 3 in a pouch along with both pens..

I get it: and I'm trying to get used to it. I'd much prefer to see my phone while it's charging... but for the moment I'm forced to compromise because of the S Pen convenience. As soon as someone makes an S Pen-capable case that makes sense, I'll pounce on it.

Upvote 0
While I haven't set up app pairs yet on the edge, I have used the multi-window with a YouTube video, Amazon and Messenger running at the same time. I wasn't able, however, to copy something from an Amazon description, for example. and drag it to Messenger. I'm not sure how to do that - does it involve the S Pen button?

Upvote 0
Ok so here is my first impressions.......

This phone is a beast!!!!!!!!

aside from Timeline fiasco and after re-setting everything up, I have come to enjoy using the bigger screen. Its so beautiful!!!!!

I really love the S-pen. Its funny.....on my Note 10+, I rarely used the built in s-pen. I would mainly use it to make notes or reminders

But this S-Pen works really well.....and I love the fact that I can hand write instead of having to swipe or type on the virtual keyboard.

I'm still learning how to use the multi window features. I feel like it will take a while to get to know all of the features that thing can offer.

Battery life so far has been decent. it's not all bad that some reviewers have mentioned. Right now its on par with my Note 10+ 5G which is really good considering how much I'm on my phone right now.

camera is decent. It is no better than my previous phone.

all in all, I'm really happy with this phone. I might come back and give a 6 month review.

Upvote 0
I agree! My front screen has apps & widgets that give me information at a glance: but for real tasks, I open this baby up and grab the S Pen. It is truly a beast of a phone! Battery life isn't nearly as awful as reviewers are making it out to be... they're probably writing from a place of bias since they've been writing rumor articles for months about the slightly smaller battery. It gets me from charge to charge; wireless charging is great, and it works like a dream on Android Auto with my Explorer. This weekend will be a road trip test... and I expect it to perform perfectly.

Upvote 0
Checking in on this thread to see how the GF3 is working out for you all. I own the GF2 and was considering a trade in but it would be stupid for me to trade and pay like $800.00 for just an S-pen compatible screen plus the pen itself. Otherwise, the phone is almost identical to my GF2 which I fell in love with from day 1. I just don't think I can go back to the normal screens and was hoping Samsung wouldn't "F" this phone up so I can start thinking about the next gen. Have fun, I'll keep checking in here for my curiosity. Cheers!

Upvote 0
Checking in on this thread to see how the GF3 is working out for you all. I own the GF2 and was considering a trade in but it would be stupid for me to trade and pay like $800.00 for just an S-pen compatible screen plus the pen itself. Otherwise, the phone is almost identical to my GF2 which I fell in love with from day 1. I just don't think I can go back to the normal screens and was hoping Samsung wouldn't "F" this phone up so I can start thinking about the next gen. Have fun, I'll keep checking in here for my curiosity. Cheers!
Well from what i have read....yeah upgrading to the fold 3 from a fold 2 is not as big of a jump from a note 10+ to a fold 3 as is my case. its a tad thinner and lighter.....is s-pen compatible.....and has a tougher material including the screen.....soooooo if that is enough for you to make that leap from a fold 2 to a fold 3, by all means go for it. personally i would wait and see what the fold 4 will look like.

here is just a tease on what is on the horizon:

Upvote 0
Well from what i have read....yeah upgrading to the fold 3 from a fold 2 is not as big of a jump from a note 10+ to a fold 3 as is my case. its a tad thinner and lighter.....is s-pen compatible.....and has a tougher material including the screen.....soooooo if that is enough for you to make that leap from a fold 2 to a fold 3, by all means go for it. personally i would wait and see what the fold 4 will look like.

Yes, I'm definitely waiting, no decision there. I actually removed both screen protectors from my GF2 and put a matte one on the front screen and left the center one without any protection and haven't had any damage at all, it's still perfect. I wouldn't recommend that with the GF3 due to the S-pen being in use.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I got ready to install the IQ Shield oleophobic film protectors last night and was freaked out by the front panel film coming up!

It's not in the owner's manual, but the FRONT panel screen protector film can be removed. The MAIN display panel's film cannot.

WHEW!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-202648_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-202648_Messenger.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 0
I got ready to install the IQ Shield oleophobic film protectors last night and was freaked out by the front panel film coming up!

It's not in the owner's manual, but the FRONT panel screen protector film can be removed. The MAIN display panel's film cannot.

WHEW!
yeah i dropped my phone and my case did its thing, but the front screen protector that comes pre-installed bubbled. i also cracked it as well. this weekend i'm going to a Zagg booth and get a screen protector for the front screen. i think the big screen is safe with what it has now....so for now i will not protect it.

Reactions: major2112
Upvote 0
yeah i dropped my phone and my case did its thing, but the front screen protector that comes pre-installed bubbled. i also cracked it as well. this weekend i'm going to a Zagg booth and get a screen protector for the front screen. i think the big screen is safe with what it has now....so for now i will not protect it.

Actually, removing the center screen protector looks as easy as it was with my GF2 as per
. Samsung does not recommend but I did it anyway, never installed another and have not had a nick/scratch/mark since. I just couldn't stand the "rubber" like feel of it and the 2 was not s-pen capable and I probably wouldn't do this on the 3 because of that. It did look a lot better also without it

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Actually, removing the center screen protector looks as easy as it was with my GF2 as per
. Samsung does not recommend but I did it anyway, never installed another and have not had a nick/scratch/mark since. I just couldn't stand the "rubber" like feel of it and the 2 was not s-pen capable and I probably wouldn't do this on the 3 because of that. It did look a lot better also without it
yeah i followed the advice from the Samsung Experience guys, and they said not to remove the pre-installed screen protector or replace the original screen protector on the big screen......so i did not.

today i was able to find a zagg booth in a mall on my way home today. so now, i have a screen protector on the front and i feel good about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones