• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "I'm so old" thread game

I remember when the Kansas turnpike was built (1954-1956) and it was to be free of tolls once the highway was paid for. It's still a toll road almost 70 years later. :)
My wife has a lot of relatives in Arizona. I'm sure I'm one the few people from Illinois with a KTag

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
The KTag can be used on a number of different toll roads... or at least that's my understanding. I will say that the Kansas turnpike is very well maintained, is the first to make safe to travel after a snowfall or ice, and is in a constant state of improvements. It also has a large bureaucracy attached that is dependent on the toll income. In Wichita, we have a N-S, N-W, E-W, and N-E freeways. A segment of the Kansas turnpike makes the South East circle of the city but it's toll. Being as in recent years the growth of the city with the latest and greatest retail offerings are on the North East of the city, the turnpike sees a great deal of traffic from the South. A free loop has be in the planning for over a decade but has gained little action. That dozen miles of the turnpike sees heavy use daily and is a black mark on the city for not building their own freeway.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I'm so old I remember the school calling my mom to come get me cause I was told I could not attend anymore until I got a haircut.

She took me to the nearest barbershop and when we walked in the barber told her, "Lady I do not cut long hairs !"

It was just touching my collar in the back ...

laughinghard

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
I just looked but could not find two window posters for concerts in the late sixties. They were in my shed but might have been tossed the last time I did a deep clean on the shed. One was for an early Steppenwolf concert and the other was a 3 Dog Night concert.

In 1970 I saw a great concert that had Black Sabbath as the warm up group and the headliner was Mountain. Both groups tore it up. Just a couple of years later, I'm sure Mountain would have gladly warmed up the crowd for Black Sabbath. :)

That Black Sabbath performance stands out as one of the best I got to see. Billy Preston, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Thunder Revue, Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention, Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, and Jethro Tull top my list of great groups at their prime I got to see. The worst performances were Seals & Crofts, and Chicago.

Reactions: AugieTN
Two concerts that I missed that I really wish I had attended was Ray Charles a couple of years before he died and an open air concert by Fleetwood Mac. Life complicated attending both concerts but I heard they were excellent. I got a heavy dose of Ray from my parents and Fleetwood Mac .... well they were Fleetwood Mac.

Reactions: mikedt and AugieTN
I just missed Fleetwood Mac at the O2 in London - the tickets sold out in a few seconds.
The best concert I saw goes way back to the late '60s - The Nice with Yes as support, You could get high on everyone else's weed smoke.
Smoke in the air was enough to get me off at the Blue Oyster Cult concert.

Funny story: A guy that I worked with was hell bent on buying Fleetwood Mac tickets. The instant they went on sale he was online trying to buy tickets. The ticket buying software was glitching (likely overwhelmed) and it kept dropping him off at the confirmation page. He kept trying and kept trying with zero luck. The next morning he went to the ticket office and personally purchased the two tickets he was wanting. When he got home that night he had confirmation for 32 tickets in his email. :) He was able to cancel some and then sold most of the others. He ended up taking his wife, their three adult kids and their spouses to the concert.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones