1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support The "Insufficient Storage" Problem

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by scary alien, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Jsilva71361

Jsilva71361 Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2016
    Male
    That's cool scary alien, for the response.

Advertisement

scary alien likes this.
  2. joe71

joe71 Android Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2011
    Male
    las vegas nevada
    Photos and videos seem to take up the most storage on my phone. This morning I deleted a combination of 900 photos and videos. I am still going through them eliminating items. My kids love to take pictures with my phone once a week I try and go through and eliminate the blurry and bad ones, I cleared up a 1GB of space so far

3. mkmanofsteel

mkmanofsteel Lurker
    None

Dec 16, 2015
    I think its something in the phones cuz i got apks on my sd card and still run into that prob sometimes when got plenty of free space. Real pain in the ass cuz it aint consistent. Right now tryin to install evoland 42 meg with 675 meg free n it say no. But other bigger apps will go right in. Lifes a bitch sometimes i guess.

4. John Terdik

John Terdik Newbie

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    The thread has been very helpful, thanks! I have the Samsung Galaxy S5 with 16GB internal storage and 64GB SD storage. For MONTHS I've been fighting the Insufficient Storage problem and for various reasons I just lived with it and chalked it up to the fact that I had installed too many apps. My wife has the same phone but does not have the SD card and almost never installs any applications and two weeks ago I attempted to update the OS and apps on her phone and got the Insufficient Storage warning. At this point I realized that something weird was going on. She is on a trip thus I decided to dig a bit deeper using my phone.
    I have "ES File Explorer" installed and use it mainly because it feels like Xporer2 that I use on my PC, however I really did not understand what it was telling me. On the main screen appears an "Analyze" button so I gave it a try, Holly Cow!!! it gave me a really good insight to what was on the phone both in the base storage and the SD.
    • I noticed that I had pictures in the base storage that should have been on my SD card, and via ESFE I was able to move about 3GB of files to the SD card
    • It also identified "Redundancy Files"(Temp files and Log files). I was able to select all (one click option) and delete them. This also freed up a bunch of space.
    • After playing around a bit more I discovered I still had a bunch of pictures in the base storage that were NOT in the original default folder (I have no idea why). These I also moved to the SD card first in test folders and after a bit more research I moved them to my PC.
    • Still I have some images (pictures) in the base storage (still looking into this)
    • The net for me was that I was able to free up several GB of storage, install all the updates that were pending. I still have more to learn but I've got other higher priority items to worry about.
    • Using Storage Truth I now have 317MB free in /system, 3.8GB free in /data and 3.8GB free in /data/enc_user. Thus until I learn more and dig deeper my issue is resolved and I have a LOT of available storage.
    • My current open question is about the images that were/are in various different areas. Because my skill level is rather low this will take me a lot of time to resolve
    Again thanks for this thread and the apps.

Lordvincent 90 and scary alien like this.
  5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
  6. ThePhizzle

ThePhizzle Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    Development
    Fresno,California
    In short time I've been browsing the AF,I realized that even the littlest of problems receives a big help,bravo AF,for your consideration and dedication to assist those in need of important answers for there favorite device when it ceased to function properly. group-of-hands-with-thumbs-up.jpg images.jpg 081e11d35b859ee27d7e6b49e7dc46ff.jpg

#31 ThePhizzle, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    scary alien and Lordvincent 90 like this.
  7. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
  8. John Terdik

John Terdik Newbie

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Possible solution for the the "Insufficient Storage" Problem. At least a year ago I encountered the problem with my Samsung Galaxy S5 and could not find a solution that worked for me. I already had ES File Explorer installed and noticed that it had an "Analyze" button on the main screen, I tapped the button to see what it would do. After a few seconds it reported various findings, duplicate files, large files, recently created files, etc. Each section also had a details button which displayed more info. In the more info area some files were obvious junk and could be deleted but for the most part it contained a LOT of info that I was unsure about, however I was able to easily identify about 11GB of junk, I tapped on each junk file to select it and then tapped on the delete button. Back one screen where the summary report was displayed as I scrolled through the report I saw "Junk Files" and the button "Clean Now" which I clicked on. After a few seconds another report with the findings was displayed as well as a "Clean Now" button. Again I had the option to select various findings. By default several findings were automatically selected thus I just tapped the "Clean Now" button and a LOT of storage was released. I was then able to install additional apps and the latest Android Update without encountering the problem - thus SUCCESS!

Here are the simple instructions - About this time my wife who NEVER installs applications I encountered the problem when I attempted to upgrade her phone to the latest Android release. Again ES File Explore was already installed. I opened it, tapped the Analyze button, found "Junk Files" and tapped the "Clean Now", when the report was displayed I then tapped the "Clean Now" button and like magic I could install the Android Update.

I highly suggest this method. If you don't already have ES File Explorer installed then it is necessary to clean/remove some of the junk/applications on your phone. If you remove applications, just make a list of what you are removing and reinstall if you really want them.

scary alien likes this.
  9. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Thanks for that, John!

I would caution that some folks have reported that ES File Explorer might be routing your information to places unknown to you--one reason I no longer use that particular file manager :(.

spman and Lordvincent 90 like this.
  10. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    Male
    entertainer
    grand rapids,mi
    I'd also add that the clean button removed several of my personal apks from my sdcard one time because it felt they were redundant...

scary alien likes this.
  11. John Terdik

John Terdik Newbie

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    I just ran a search for this and cannot find any thing about ES routing your info. That does not mean it is not doing it but I was not able to find anything about it.

I also just looked at Solid Explorer but was confused as to what the heck I really need to install. I saw too many apps for Solid Explorer and reading the details on some they stated that I needed to install something else that was related to Solid Explorer first. Sorry but the Android world is very confusing for me.

12. John Terdik

John Terdik Newbie

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    It is possible that ES has removed something that it should not have for me as well, if it has I'm not aware of it. I did notice that you really need to look at what the report is stating, if you select the wrong section and let it delete stuff it would be a real problem in that stuff you did not want to delete will be deleted.

13. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Lots and lots of threads and pages "out there" with questions. Here's some here at AF:

But let's keep that discussion to a different, other thread since this one is about insufficient storage :).

spman and Lordvincent 90 like this.
  14. Symmike

Symmike Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2016
    Male
    My phone was acting up yesterday and a lot of the aps would not work. So I turned my phone off and back on. I realized I lost the FB Messenger. It just uninstalled itself. So I tried to reinstall it and got the "insufficient storage" warning. I freed up as much space as I can, but still no go in my LG L31L. I even tried the ES file explorer. Then I realized I don't even have an SD card. So I guess I am off to the store to get one and ask how in the heck to install it. I need an android book for dummies!!
    I'll let you know how it goes after I get the SD card.

15. Symmike

Symmike Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2016
    Male
    The SD card works, but I still can't down load the FB Messenger app. It looks like its on the Messengers end. So I e-mailed them and waiting for a reply........

16. boyo1991

boyo1991 Android Enthusiast

May 26, 2011
    Male
    Claims adjuster
    the internet.
    The funny thing is, it doesn't matter weather you have an SD card or not. Android is weird and "sneaky" in a way that it has 2 partitions (drives). One is usually called "0" and another is usually called "emulated" or "sdcard" these are both on top of your inserted as card. When you "move app to SD" (because it automatically will only install on device) it doesn't go to the SD card you inserted.

Essentially your ad card you inserted is good for videos, and file storage ect.

TLDR:
    The best thing to do, especially on these kinds of devices, is to clear all the cache and app data you can and try to reinstall. Cache takes up a lot more space than you may think, especially when it's not something you think about.

17. Peter Hill

Peter Hill Lurker
    None

Jun 28, 2016
    Male
    What this lacks is a recommendation of which app to un-install.

I find Google is best, removing it just removes the update, reverts to the base rom image, that uses no ram. It never seems to complain about free space when being upgraded after the rest have installed.

18. Androids Crib

Androids Crib Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2016
    Male
    Hello. You said atleast 512 MB of free space but I can install a 40 MB app with just 200 MB left on my internal storage

19. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Yeah, it's not a hard-and-fast rule for every device or every version of Android and it seems to just be a limitation imposed by the Play Store (or old Market) app (i.e., I could still side load an app using adb even when I only had just enough space for the app).

20. MagentaSwagger

None

Jul 10, 2016
    Male
    I know this is kind of unrelated to the subject, but I LOVE your name :D
    And btw, THANK YOU FOR THIS!!

scary alien likes this.
  21. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    :)

Thank you and you're most welcome--I hope it was helpful--and welcome to our AndroidForums, @MagentaSwagger :).

22. NewJeff

NewJeff Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2016
    I've been looking for a reference like this.

#47 NewJeff, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    scary alien likes this.
  23. scary alien

Moderator Thread Starter

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
  24. spman

spman Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    What file explorer app would you recommend to use now? Is there something similar like ES File Explorer?

Does "ES File Explorer might be routing your information to places unknown to you" mean that they can steal password and files/information on the phone?

I like the ES File Explorer, after I uninstall an app, ES will popup to ask me to delete useless folders related to that app.

I only knew about the security problem when I saw this thread, maybe you should leave a review at the playstore app page to warn others.

Thanks

#49 spman, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  25. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    I pretty much use X-Plore exclusively these days.

spman and scary alien like this.