• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The iPhone 4 vs Evo Mega thread

Whatnissan

Jun 5, 2010
Well Im shure all of you saw the preview of the new iPhone today. I was curious any developers on here please look in to this. But Steve jobs said that face time was going to be an open indstry standard. I know you might not like apple on here. But it would make the evo 4gs front camera more useful if we could get it to support facetime considering how many iPhones there will be that support it. Any thoughts on this???

Reactions: Kingkoa
So, I watched the announcement with great interest. Here are the points that were the most significant to me.

1. It's THIN! Very nice
  2. The iMovie video editing is very cool. Do we have a similar app for Android?
  3. Battery Life! My EVOs are on order, but this is the biggest thing that concerns me about my purchase. From what I've read, the power being sucked up while in standby mode is just ridiculous. The iPhone 4 is claiming 300 hrs of standby time. The EVO gets.. what.. like 12 hrs? (that's more of a question than a statement)

Don't flame too hard. I ordered the EVOs because it looks like a great phone with a great OS. I like Sprint and I like to save money.
Not to mention, I *loathe* the cult of Apple. But we have to give them props where props are due. If we acknowledge these things, it can only help to make our platform better.
Here's to hoping we can get something done about that battery life with a software fix... at least for standby mode. (again, I don't have the phone in hand, but based on what I've been reading and talking to owners).

Reactions: ShoxV
Upvote 0
With the amount of Iphones out today,and with ATT allowing early upgrades that is an immediate win for the video chat with Apple. Other than that, lets see how good the battery life really is. Furthermore if you compare the EVO's options and the iphone 4 they are very similar. I am very very happy with the EVO.

Upvote 0
2% drop overnight on my evo. 10 hours. isnt bad. people need to turn off their data(or turn off the always on data and itll turn the data off after 5 mins of no use but turn back on when you take it out of standby) and gps when not using the phone to get good standby battery.

on a new battery it takes a week or 2 for its full potential. there is alot of data in the background for the evo. news and stocks should be turned off unless you want them, Facebook for sense is horrible on the battery.

also battery always sucks when you get a new phone cause you use it alot. lol. my hero battery sucked when i first got it then it would last 2-3 days on a charge. battery always depends on usage duh

you also need to remember its a bigger phone all around with the same size battery as the hero

edit. the 2% drop over 10 hours is 500 hours. even if its a 4% drop its still 250 hours.

Upvote 0
I thought Qik was useless because it was overwhelmed and wasn't ready for the onslaught, not that there was anything specifically faulty with the programming, I'm not sure though.

But I agree, I think its important to give kudos when the competition does something well. If fanboyism goes too far, it only hurts the user. If Apple Fanboys just said "multi-tasking" is overrated, Apple won't bother to add it. Apple Fanboys don't seem to want Flash, so they'll have to wait for HTML5 to take over. If they demanded it, they may (not definitely, but maybe) have gotten it.

Android/Evo users should want better battery life. Don't get me wrong, I love my Evo so far, but I want Google to know this is an area for them to improve.

If fanboys makes too many excuses for their product's shortcomings, odds are they won't get fixed, at least not quickly.

Upvote 0
This iphone vs (insert brand here) bashing is getting ridiculous. People choose which phone they like better and stick with it because they like it, obviously. There is no point in making yourself feel better that you got a 'better product' because you will only have the idiots listening to you, instead of trying to change peoples minds like you are wanting to do. If you really want to make them jealous, or whatever the hell you are trying to do, then just use your phone. There is no better phone, its just preference. Its like a pissing match, you will never win.

Reactions: ShoxV
Upvote 0
The a4 chip in the new iphone is worth it enough. Yea i like the iphone but i think immore of an android guy. I just would really like to see something like this take off. So say if i want to video call someone with a phone that can do it i dont have to worry if they have an evo or not. They should all work together. And i know apple's standard will prevail over the qik one. So lets get started now.

Upvote 0
2% drop overnight on my evo. 10 hours. isnt bad. people need to turn off their data(or turn off the always on data and itll turn the data off after 5 mins of no use but turn back on when you take it out of standby) and gps when not using the phone to get good standby battery.

on a new battery it takes a week or 2 for its full potential. there is alot of data in the background for the evo. news and stocks should be turned off unless you want them, Facebook for sense is horrible on the battery.

also battery always sucks when you get a new phone cause you use it alot. lol. my hero battery sucked when i first got it then it would last 2-3 days on a charge. battery always depends on usage duh

you also need to remember its a bigger phone all around with the same size battery as the hero

Excellent point. I don't think people take this into account. I'd say I'm a moderate user but over the weekend I was a heavy user. Taking pictures of all the barcodes I saw (coming from an old WinMo 5 phone, and an old Blackberry Curve, Android might make me more of a heavy user)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones