1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The iPhone 4 vs Evo Mega thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Whatnissan, Jun 7, 2010.

1. vikingjunior

vikingjunior Well-Known Member

What no kickstand on iphone 4?

Advertisement

2. Tan Stewie

Tan Stewie Lurker

How much does it help to throttle the update frequency? That is my only real complaint thus far - battery life. I'm sure I'll figure it all out, but right now it kinda sucks feeling like I need to have this thing on a charger at all times not in use.

3. MrX8503

MrX8503 Android Enthusiast

I agree that there should be a standard for video chat, that way we can video chat with any phone that has a front facing camera.

Also lets face it, I would say that Apple would be the ones to get it rolling with it fully functioning

4. knowbody

knowbody Newbie

Can any of the video call apps switch cameras from the front to the back one?

5. backdown

backdown Android Enthusiast

Total dealbreaker there...

6. Curt941

Curt941 Android Enthusiast

7. Coop1979

Coop1979 Newbie

Standby time is rated based on the iPhone (and every "smartphone") by putting it in Airplane mode. IE, no radios are on.

8. Curt941

Curt941 Android Enthusiast

Also, why won't skype just come out with an Android and iPhone app that anyone could run with their front facing camera phone?

9. QuesoGrande

QuesoGrande Member

Interesting points on the batter life. Can't wait to try it out for myself.

And... I like this discussion... no flames so far ;-) So far, very rational and relevant!

10. MrX8503

MrX8503 Android Enthusiast

Because that would make too much sense. Its the same thing with visual voicemail, why did we have to wait so long to get something so simple.

11. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Android Expert

Well regarding the stand by time. You have to realize its a GSM device. They will always have a lot longer stand by time over CDMA. What you get with CDMA though is a lot better call quality and a hell of a lot less dropped calls. I would much rather have one day of a charge but be able to hear and stay connected to the person on the other side. My brother has an iPhone and every time I talk to him I have to listen hard because it always sounds like crap. Everyone else I talk too sounds crystal clear. I will be curious of the the iPhones stand by time though when they come out with the CDMA version. I can almost bet that it will not even be close to the GSM version.

12. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Android Enthusiast

I agree, if the FaceTime app looks as good as the videos show it looking, Qik has a LONG WAY TO GO... :(

13. backdown

Can we make a 'no bashing iphone' rule? I'm not a big apple fan or anything, but the threads against Iphone are getting a tad ridiculous. Namely that they all say the same damn things in them. I wouldn't mind them at all if it wasn't for the fact that its just a bunch of haters hating on one single phone and nothing is getting accomplished. Now, if you want to have an intellectual debate over it that is fine..but come on people, lets pull up our pants and not be 12.

14. malken00

malken00 Lurker

Everyone failed to mention the most obvious reason why we're on the Evo compared to the iPhone.... AT&T. I wouldn't go back to their service if it were free. Sprint service coverage and speeds everywhere I normally travel is light years ahead of AT&T..

Ms_Kady likes this.
  15. hitekalex

hitekalex Well-Known Member

Forget Qik - just use Fring/Skype for live video calls, or YouTube for sharing videos. Unlike Qik, both have well established infrastructure and there are no silly WiFi only restrictions.

Regarding your other post about Evo battery.. In my mind, the jury is still out on that one. I think Evo battery can be "managed". I have learned NOT to leave 4G enabled all the time, as indeed it drains the battery like mad even when Evo is asleep. Also, turn off Satellites in the location settings. Use WiFi whenever you're at home. Do these 3 things, and you will see drastic improvements to your Evo battery.

iPhone 4 has NOTHING on Evo.

16. DILands

DILands Android Expert

Or - set up a sub forum - iPhone 4 VS EVO

17. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member

Eh, so far the iPhone looks pretty nice. I'm just not a big fan of AT&T, and after only a few days, I'm used to the size of the Evo. When I first saw the iPhone 4, my first thought was "oh my god that thing is tiny". I know the smaller size is a plus for many, I'd feel like my hands would dwarf that thing.

Hopefully the huge battery motivates Google to improve our battery.

18. zombdroid

zombdroid Android Enthusiast

I agree. The iPhone does suck!

19. backdown

A sub forum would be good enough i guess. I just get tired of seeing the same statements/points over and over again.

20. marctronixx

ladies and gents, its a showcase. that announcement was meant to show the phone in the most optimum perfect conditions. of course everything will look crisp and clear!

lets hold off judgment until it gets in the wild and regular folk get their hands on it THEN lets check on battery life. etc.

did you guys see when he tried to pull up the ny times and he couldn't??

21. cooper1010

cooper1010 Android Enthusiast

i'm with the op; screw the iphone!

22. mercdizzle

mercdizzle Well-Known Member

sort of like how the iphone boys constantly say the same thing over and over about their phones being better?

23. 84guy

84guy Well-Known Member

im not sure cause i dont use it. but im sure going from 2 hours to 4 hours would help. but turning the data off while you dont need it helps alot. some people need to keep it on for e-mail and such which i have but never have urgent e-mails so i just manually update it. also remember 1ghz cpu 8mp camera(which drains the battery FAST)

i think they boosted the 3g on this phone compared to the hero, which could also drain the battery more, most i could get with the hero was 1 meg down. evo in same area i get about 1.7-2 meg down

24. MackNY

MackNY Newbie

Those are Apple's ratings which rarely translate to real world usage. The iphone 3GS was rated for 300 minutes of standby, look how that turned out. Depending on how you use it the EVO is at worst still acceptable. The iphone battery is not magically going to work so much better. If there is a difference it's marginal at best. I believe the iphone 4 still does not have a interchangable battery.

25. rdegk15

rdegk15 Well-Known Member

freedom of speech brotha