• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The joys of rural areas

AZgl1500

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
Oklahoma grasslands
Today,
I had to take a drive cross country to find a Social Security Administration office.
I had managed to muck up my password one time too many, and got locked out of my account.

Traveling from Oologah, OK over to Bartlesville, OK was a nice adventure, mostly rain....

but, I watched the Signal Strength Bars and the indicator a lot to see how things did....
Not once, did 4g show up, never..... not even in town, either town.

3g disappeared and I dropped my call 3 times.... I was talking to my son as he was driving home from work.

I stopped in at a neat little place out in the country, "Cowboy Leather Store"..... just had to drift thru there and ogle all of the neat things that can be done with leather....

Trinkets? my gawd, Cowgirls do love their trinkets if that store is any sign of what the modern day Cowgirl likes to wear.... as I was wandering into the back end of the shop, I totally lost all signal.... it never came back until I got outside that little store.... and it is built of wood!

the joys of rural life...

I must admit... I really love the quiet side and peacefulness of living in a rural area... I sometimes want to retire in a quiet town in the middle of no where... just to get in touch with the gold old days kind of thing...

I live in the city and it is scary noisy and sometimes just too fast paced.

I want to retire in a quiet small town one day :)

Upvote 0
We're privileged to live in a largely rural and agricultural area that's right on the interstate, so we have 4G LTE all day long. The hustle & bustle of Nashville is only an hour away, and Chattanooga is about the same the other direction. We have cable internet and all the modern conveniences... and also the peace and quiet of a small rural town. The downside is that, other than Walmart, we have to drive a good half hour to get to anything. That's where all the stores are.

Upvote 0
I-44 is 18 miles Southeast of me, US75 is 20 miles west of me and it runs thru Bartlesville, OK.
I was a bit surprised that 3g was all that showed in Bartlesville.

my little burg of Oologah is 3g, I have to drive south 3 or 4 miles to get 4g

Yeah, shopping is the downside. We have a small home town pharmacy, a Sonic, a combo Daylight Donuts/Subway shop, with one set down table and 4 chairs.

2 banks, Cowboys have lots of money? Dollar General of course, and just recently, a small chain grocery store was encouraged by the town council to come here, no taxes for 25 years...

Claremore is 18+ miles and 3 RR tracks east, Owasso/Tulsa is 18+ miles south, nothing to the north until you get to Coffeeville, KS which is an hour away.

Rural life is great, but it has its' offsets.

Before I moved here, I worked for Phoenix Fire Department in the IT 911 department, lived in Mesa, AZ.
Walgreens, Taco Bell, big grocery store, 2 banks, two cellphone stores, and other unsundry stuff I won't buy, all within a half mile...

3 miles was the Walmart SuperCenter/HomeDepot/Office Depot, etc.....
5 miles got us the best restaurants....

it was quite a shock to downsize to a township only 1 mile tall by a half mile wide, and 1045 citizens registered to vote.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here were we are now, River City: Oologah, Oklahoma

the Census proclaims 1,149 citizens, and of those, I might know 10 of them by name.....

only been here for 4 years, and was retired when we moved up there to be close to friends....
so, that means that I don't get out and hob nob with much of them...

I see the faces in the stores, but when I leave 'poof! ' their names are gone.

Upvote 0
I knew there was a reason for me to have moved out of 2.1 million population Phoenix, Az into this little town buried in the grasslands. :p

it don't hurt that dad was born/raised 40 miles east of me, and mom was born about 40 miles up north of me...
of course, as the world turns, they moved all over the place after they got married and the Navy decided the WWII era was passe

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones