• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "Kingdom" is most likely the "Hero 4G"

ArmageddonX

Android Expert
May 12, 2011
Arizona, USA
I just posted here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-kingdom/377256-htc-kingdom-may-hero-4g.html
HTC Kingdom may be known as the HTC Hero 4G when it hits Sprint | PhoneDog

Interesting and exciting! My Wife really wants this phone. I'm hoping for more information soon.

Here is another quote from Phone Arena:
HTC Kingdom comes to Sprint customers as the HTC Hero 4G - Phone Arena
A super Hero is coming to Sprint. Formerly known as the HTC Kingdom, the name used on a DLNA certification suggests that the 3rd largest carrier in the States will be calling the phone the HTC Hero 4G. The model will bring a 4 inch, qHD display, with a single-core 1.2GHz Qualcomm MSM 7630 processor under the hood and 768MB of RAM aboard. Running the show will be Android 2.3.3 and a 5MP camera is on back which captures video at 720p (30 fps). There is a 1.3MP front-facing camera for self-portraits and video chat.

As we reported, the phone has already met with the FCC and with Amazon already showing cases for the device on its web site, we would expect this device to be meeting the public soon. And if the "Hero" names sounds familiar, it is because the moniker was used on one of the early Android launches. The HTC Hero had specs that might have seemed hot back in the day, but seem practically barbaric now such as having Cupcake (Android 1.5) installed, a 3.2 inch display with resolution of 320 x 480 and a 528MHz processor on board. It was the first Android model to include HTC's Sense UI.

Thought it might be relevant here too. Kingdom looks like it'll be the "Hero 2" in essence just as the Evo3D was the "Evo 2" in essence. Enjoy guys. ;)

Now that would be coming full circle. The funny thing is that I just ordered my Sprint HTC EVO 3D a couple days ago, so by the time my upgrade comes around again, the Sprint HTC Hero 4G will be old news. ;)

Is there any information on the potential specifications for this handset? I am guessing it will probably been similar in hardware to the Sprint HTC EVO 3D, minus the 3D capability, if it is released in the near future. :)

Upvote 0
Phone Arena says:
"We don't know much about the HTC Kingdom but we do know that it's coming with a 4" touchscreen with qHD resolution (540 x 960 pixels), putting it in the same high league as the HTC EVO 3D and HTC Sensation. The HTC Kingdom has 5MP camera, 1.3MP front-facing camera, 1.2GHz (single core) processor, Wi-Fi, WiMAX and Bluetooth."
HTC Kingdom specs - Phone Arena

Also:
"the Kingdom is expected to come to market with the Qualcomm MSM7630 chipset featuring a upgraded 1.2GHz single-core processor and the Adreno 205 graphics engine-the very same package you would find under the hood of the HTC EVO Shift 4G."
HTC Kingdom bound for Sprint? - Phone Arena

Upvote 0
Phone Arena says:
"We don't know much about the HTC Kingdom but we do know that it's coming with a 4" touchscreen with qHD resolution (540 x 960 pixels), putting it in the same high league as the HTC EVO 3D and HTC Sensation. The HTC Kingdom has 5MP camera, 1.3MP front-facing camera, 1.2GHz (single core) processor, Wi-Fi, WiMAX and Bluetooth."
HTC Kingdom specs - Phone Arena

Also:
"the Kingdom is expected to come to market with the Qualcomm MSM7630 chipset featuring a upgraded 1.2GHz single-core processor and the Adreno 205 graphics engine-the very same package you would find under the hood of the HTC EVO Shift 4G."
HTC Kingdom bound for Sprint? - Phone Arena

That is a weird combination. It looks like it is actually slated below the Sprint HTC EVO 3D. It is using an older CPU and not the Adreno 220 that is in the Sprint HTC EVO 3D. That CPU has been easily overclocked to over 1.8 GHz in the T-Mobile HTC G2, so there is no surprise that it was bumped up to 1.2 GHz.

I guess maybe this will be more of a mid-level offering from Sprint. I am glad to see that Sprint is really stepping up its game on new handsets though.

Upvote 0
When I decided to switch to the EVO 3D I was not convinced that I would like the larger screen, I really loved the size of the HERO, but let me tell you, now that I have it and have had it for a few weeks, I will never look back, no brainer, so those of you wanting a smaller screen and assuming that the larger one is not for you, I would reconsider, I cannot believe I did stay with the smaller screen that long. I also thought it would be to bulky, but it is not, I have absolutely no issues and love it. I highly recommend it. ;)

Upvote 0
I think that 4 inches is a good compromise between the giant 4.3 inch screens and the smaller 3.7 inch screens. I have been messing with my wife's new Sprint HTC EVO 4G the last few days while I wait for my Sprint HTC EVO 3D to arrive and the bigger screen is really nice. I was surprised at the weight of it though. It is obviously heavier than the Sprint HTC Hero. ;)

Hey, you could always have an AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G. That thing is 4.5 inches. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones