1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The Last "TOS" Star Wars Movie...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rootabaga, Dec 16, 2019.

1. rootabaga

rootabaga Extreme Android User

The last of the nine "original series" of Star Wars films is about to launch. Anyone planning to avoid it? ;)

I was watching a retrospective on Reelz that was pretty good. I'd forgotten how low the expectations were for the first (chapter 4) film in 1977; even Mr. Lucas thought it would bring in only about 16 Million. I'm really glad he went into movies, because he clearly was not a seer. ;)

Then on the way to work this morning I came across this article on the Daily Mail, masked to preclude any spoiler effect. I'm glad technology is where it is as it allows all kinds of enhancements...and that's all I'll say about it...

I plan to see if we can coordinate a "family movie day" for my close family members and go see "The Rise of Skywalker" over the Christmas holiday. My niece will be home for a few days so hopefully we can make it happen. Of course my wife is going to fight with me over treating everyone...so the actual cost of the movie is quite a bit higher. :D

Advertisement

joe71 and MrJavi like this.
  2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

They lost me at podraces. Bought the DVD though. Nothing since then.

mikedt likes this.
  3. rootabaga

Yeah, Meesa also tinks there were a couple of lesser films in the first (chronological) trilogy. ;)

I remember not really knowing anything about the film "Rogue One" when I went to see it. All new characters and I couldn't figure out how the story fit in...until the end. And I literally was walking out of the theater saying something like, "It fits in between the third and fourth chapters and I didn't realize that before we went it, it's like a rogue movie..." and it dawned on me what I was saying. ;)

dontpanicbobby, mikedt and Steven58 like this.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I saw the first three (episodes IV, V and VI) in the theaters. They were okay but I still think they should have stopped there. Of course, as Mel Brooks so prophetically satirized ... Spaceballs II, the quest for more money.

I watched episodes I, II and III as rentals. One was "meh", two was "hmmmm" and three was "Are you f$%^$%ing kidding me?" Haven't had any desire to see anything beyond that.

mikedt likes this.
  5. Steven58

Steven58 Recognized Incompetent Moderator

I saw the first one (Episode 4) in Grummen's Chinese Theater in LA. I went out to visit my Juilliard School friend, who is still my best friend in life. It was awesome. The special effects took my breath away. Nowadays, they are old school, but Lucas converted the original series in the late 90's adding new scenes.

Of course I'm going to see TOS.

dontpanicbobby, mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  6. no one

no one Android Expert

In the last one I saw, Spock died.

7. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Android Expert

I'll probably see it.

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

oh hell yeah i'm seeing it. i must be a die hard fan.....cuz i have seen every single movie, since its inception in 1977. and i love them all!!!!!! i mean some are better then others, but i loved each and every movie.

.......so hell yeah i'm seeing it. i'm just gonna wait a few weeks. i'm just gonna wait until the crowds slow down. i am not a fan of crowded movie theaters and having to wait in line to get in and then wait in line to get popcorn.

Steven58 and mikedt like this.
  9. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

The local news has been showing the die-hard fans who've been camping out on Hollywood Blvd, dressed up, having fun.

The big premiere tonight is just for the hoity-toity, not any riff-raff. :eek:

Jimmy Kimmel, whose show is filmed right across the street from the theater, is doing a post-premiere show; it airs at 10:00 here. It's called Jimmy Kimmel Live After Darth: A Star Wars Special.

dontpanicbobby, mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  10. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

What about buying tickets online?

On channel 4's news tonight, they said ALL tickets had to be purchased online. I was half listening. They were covering the premiere, and talking to camping-out fans, so I'm pretty sure they meant just Grauman's.
    Can't help you there! :D

mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  11. ocnbrze

no not wait in line to buy tickets, but as you are saying folks come early and start a line........been there done that. i hate it. though it is cool to be among fanatics like that. but i hate distractions when i watch a movie. plus there will be a lot of kids going. i love kids, just not the misbehaving kind....which there will be plenty of with a movie like this

........i'll pass and wait a few weeks to see it.

mikedt and MoodyBlues like this.
  12. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Yeah, that makes sense.

If you can, watch any of the local news at 11:00, they're all there covering the premiere. Check out some of the costumes and props the fans have! Some of them have been camping out for days--even though there's no need to worry about tickets, since they had to be purchased online. They're just having fun. :)

Channel 4 interviewed this one woman who said her father dragged her to see the original in 1977. She was NOT a science fiction fan--until then. :D

mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

It was basically Jar Jar Binks and the podracing that introduced the Star Wars universe to China, and, and then they find it's never been too popular here, unlike Marvel, DC. Avengers, etc.

I may go and see The Rise of Skywalker, but I'm rather expecting to be in a mostly empty theatre, There's certainly no need to be camping out here to see it.

#13 mikedt, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  14. no one

no one Android Expert

[​IMG] ocnbrze:
    oh hell yeah i'm seeing it. i must be a die hard fan.....cuz i have seen every single movie, since its inception in 1977. and i love them all!!!!!!

[​IMG]

This is you then?

15. ocnbrze

yeah, i can recite the true chronology of each star wars movie.

MrJavi likes this.
  16. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Something like this? ... The empire downloads schematics from diydeathstar.com, the rebel alliance watches YouTube reviews of home built weapons and discovers they all have that x-wing sized hole that leads directly to the only thing that will blow them up. 90 minutes of chase scenes, pseudo religious double-talk and storm troopers demonstrating the poor aiming mechanisms of imperial blasters. Finally ... ka-BOOM, celebration and sequel.

;)

MoodyBlues and ocnbrze like this.
  17. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Star Wars! @no one
    Not
    Star Trek!

18. no one

no one Android Expert

What are you talking about, Dave?

ocnbrze and dontpanicbobby like this.
  19. rootabaga

I'd bet a whole bunch of credits that he was being humorous... ;)

20. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Watching coverage this morning of the premiere almost made me want to see this one. :eek: (I lost interest years ago.)

They'd shut down a block of Hollywood Blvd and had a blue, not red, carpet under this tunnel-like entrance walkway, which was lined with various Star Wars characters. The vibe I got was very much like Disneyland.

I haven't been there since the new land, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, opened, so I can't compare it to that. But in Tomorrowland, when you're queueing for Star Tours--with all its visual and audio effects, all your senses engaged and stimulated, looking around in awe and listening to C-3PO and R2D2's chatter, the anticipation building--that's the vibe I got. :D

They really went all out on it. But I think my favorite part of the coverage was hearing/seeing Anthony Daniels as...Anthony Daniels!

ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  21. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Was it Episode 1: The Phantom Menace that made you lose interest?

#21 mikedt, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    MoodyBlues likes this.
  22. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Was that the one where.....? :thinking:

23. rootabaga

In the "actor as actor" theme, I recently watched an old episode of To Tell The Truth (from 1977, with Joe Garagiola hosting!) and David Prowse was the contestant. The votes were split so he didn't fool the panel completely, but it's hard to equate how radically different Vader would have sounded without that rich JEJ baritone. ;)

I was one of those who waited in a line wrapped around the Cine Capri theater in Phoenix, Arizona to see Episode IV. I think it was for a midnight showing, and to my recollection we didn't go opening weekend but the lines were insane for a long time. I'd never before seen that kind of hype around a movie, and certainly haven't since.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  24. rootabaga

It was the one where the Empire's Stormtroopers kept shooting, but not really hitting anything... :D ;)

MoodyBlues likes this.
  25. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Um...I most likely saw that episode...in real time. :eek: (Yes, you young whipper-snappers reading this, some of us really are that old. :mad:)
    I can only imagine. Having not heard Prowse as Prowse, that I can recall, I can't 'hear' his voice in my head, but I concur with your take on James Earl Jones. His voice was meant for Darth Vader! Really, off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else who would've done it justice compared to him.

MrJavi and Steven58 like this.