• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The LG Optimus M Boot Animation Thread!!

teh_dude

Android Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2011
Arlington/Denton, TX
Hi everyone, though I'd start a new thread for this. There's already a boot animation gallery thread, but it's in the Droid Eris forum. Here's a link to that one if you want, they've got some good ones too: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/56647-boot-animation-gallery.html

I don't have a whole bunch to start the thread out with, I just have the one that I finished last night. To give proper credit is a two-fold task. I made my own version of the boot animation originally found here: [Boot Animation] Haters gonna hate. [8-18: Now with more Evo love] - xda-developers

The cartoon character within that boot animation was originally drawn and put on the internet in 2008 by Omar Noory: THISISALLIDO.COM :: PORTFOLIO I obviously don't own his drawing, but it's hilarious.
:D

Here's a gif of the boot animation I did (note: once the tv static is done, all you'll really see on your phone is the guy walking, no more static. I dunno how to make a gif do that.): http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/DanAmerican/haterstatic.gif

Here's the link to download the boot ani: haterstaticbootanimation.zip

For those unfamiliar, you do not flash boot animations, even though they're in a zip format.

Assuming you're rooted, download the zip and put it on your SD card, and rename it to simply "bootanimation.zip". ***It will not work unless it is named like this!!!***

Then use Root Explorer or an equivalent to move it to either /system/media or /data/local. If you already have one there, move it elsewhere or delete it.

I'll be working on a soundbite (PowerOn.mp3) to go with it, but I don't know if the timing will match up with everyone's boot sequence as it will for mine.

EDIT: I gave up pretty quickly on the specific poweron.mp3 because when I started timing my boot sequence, i realized that it's two entirely different times if i reboot versus if i power completely off and turn it back on. reboot is much faster lol. so for the sake of consistency i can't really pull it off i dont think, but as i'm typing this i just had another idea. i'll edit again if need be lol.

EDIT AGAIN: I think I wasn't taking the right approach on timing it. I'll fiddle with it again when I have time and I feel like it. lol.

After some googling, I found one. EVO: Scroll down to the 5th post, should have a bootanimation.zip attached as well as the boot sound that goes with it: Stock Evo Boot Screen with Sound - xda-developers

I checked it out briefly, and it is definitely the stock EVO boot ani, except it does not have the very first part that says "htc EVO 4G". It starts off with the Sprint logo. Basically it's just a fancy looking way for sprint to tell you that they now have 4G. ALSO, the PNG's are all 480x800, so you'll have to resize them, or at least change the desc.txt accordingly. But if you shrink them down, while it'll slightly distort things, it'll reduce the filesize of each image, and you can compress them even more at punypng.com as long as they're under 150KB each, and that way it'll load a lot faster.

I'll try for the other one too, but I bet if you search XDA or google the interwebs in general, you'll be able to find it.

EDIT: found it already. Were you unable to find anything searching? Here's a link: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/05/18/exclusive-release-droid-incredible-boot-animation/

The above link is from back when the phone was new I think. Checked it out too (there's even a video on the page). It's got a square resolution of 512x512, but thats because it's normally centered on the screen, kinda like the one I made, so I'd just try it out if I were you. No HTC stuff, it just spells out DROID like on yours, but has a different robot eye thing.

Upvote 0
I don't know of an app that streamlines it, but it's not too terribly difficult otherwise. My best advice on learning how to make one is to download one that someone already made and uploaded, and open it up and see what's in there. You'll find folders full of image files named in sequence, and you'll find a text file with system instructions telling android how to display those images. Just remember that if you do make your own, the zip file must be set to ***not*** compress the files. As for getting several images as are needed for this, you can design your own entirely, or you can do what I've done before, and find animated gifs, and split them back up into their separate images. This: GIFFrame.exe or this: GifFrame | Download GifFrame software for free at SourceForge.net should serve that purpose fine. If you use the second link, you'll need to make sure you have Java installed first.

If you want to make or gather your own images, I find windows Paint is usually sufficient for any editing, but I like Paint.NET better. More capability overall, and can handle transparent backgrounds/multiple layers/etc. Again, freeware: Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

Also, regardless of what you do, the images will need to end up in .PNG format. Either of the above can save an image as a PNG. After that, you'll want them to be as small as possible in filesize so they'll load faster. Nothing's perfect, but for that, I recommend Puny PNG: http://www.punypng.com. Basically you upload your files, max 150KB each, max 15 files at a time, and it compresses them without degrading image quality.

As for the sound effects, most people just pick a sound bite they like and put it in the appropriate location. If you want audio matching the timing of your boot animation, the only way I know how how is to figure out when things start happening--when does a boot sound start playing, when does the boot animation start playing, etc. Then from there, if you can find a proper consistency, you can use it to guide you in creating the sound bite. You can start with an existing sound bite (part of a song, funny noise, whatever), add in various effects, add in silence if you need to before the beginning to time it with the animation correctly, and so on. For all that, I use freeware sound editing software called Audacity. here's a link if you wanna try it out--it's great for making ringtones, converting sound formats, etc: Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder.

Reactions: sandpipershore
Upvote 0
Thanks for answering so quickly!

There's a lot there, learning how to look at what parts are in each folder, for example, that I've never done before. I figured that it would be a process similar to that, but I was hoping that, like you said there might not be one, a program that just helped with that.
I'm on OSX, and I feel like there must be a program that is native that might help with this, but I really don't care too too much about making my own right now.

I'd like to know if you (or anyone) knows of a few good repositories of cool, fun, or weird openings/start-ups with sound -

now, the other question which is important to ask is... I'm using root explorer, using (I believe, though I might be wrong, Joneidy's) gingerbreak with superuser.

how, because even after reading your above post, am not clear as to how to substitute the opening metro pcs and droid screens (separately) with sound and video/gif/opening animations.

I was successful and getting rid of the 'hello hello hello' (and am always slightly tempted to replace what was once there with the 3 stooges famous clip :D - ), but would rather just understand how to do this, and maybe use some fun or weird animations and sounds in its place.

any ideas, or tips?
I appreciate the help here. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for answering so quickly!

There's a lot there, learning how to look at what parts are in each folder, for example, that I've never done before. I figured that it would be a process similar to that, but I was hoping that, like you said there might not be one, a program that just helped with that.
I'm on OSX, and I feel like there must be a program that is native that might help with this, but I really don't care too too much about making my own right now.

I'd like to know if you (or anyone) knows of a few good repositories of cool, fun, or weird openings/start-ups with sound -

a big one here on android forums is linked to in the first part of my original post for this thread, and they'll still work for your phone. beyond that, I've always just googled "android boot animations" or similar, and found a variety online in different places. Some on xda developers forums, some elsewhere at random.

now, the other question which is important to ask is... I'm using root explorer, using (I believe, though I might be wrong, Joneidy's) gingerbreak with superuser.

how, because even after reading your above post, am not clear as to how to substitute the opening metro pcs and droid screens (separately) with sound and video/gif/opening animations.

Joneidy didn't make gingerbreak, and all roots basically come with superuser. The way I rid myself of the metropcs screen was by flashing a different rom. I tried getting rid of it on the stock rom and it kept even recreating the files. the android screen is the original boot ani. if you follow my steps given in my original post and place a properly built bootanimation.zip in the appropriate location, your phone should use it instead of the original one.

I was successful and getting rid of the 'hello hello hello' (and am always slightly tempted to replace what was once there with the 3 stooges famous clip :D - ), but would rather just understand how to do this, and maybe use some fun or weird animations and sounds in its place.
any ideas, or tips?

if you found the "PowerOn.mp3" that was the original "hello hello hello" sound clip, then that's the same place you would put any other sound clip to play on startup. Just like you were able to go into the folder to delete or otherwise remove "PowerOn.mp3", you can copy and paste any other mp3 in there, and just rename it to "PowerOn.mp3", and the phone should play it on startup assuming you're not in silent mode before reboot.

I appreciate the help here. :D

prot a noblem. =>

Upvote 0
Ahh....confusion has begun that I must resolve. If I was the source of this confusion, my apologies.

The boot sound and boot animation have ***nothing*** to do with each other and run separately during the boot sequence. The only reason I mentioned it in my OP is because in the past I was able to figure out the timing as to when each of them started, so I could get the sound to begin at the right time to coincide with the animation. Nothing about the animation controls the boot sound in any way, and nothing about the boot sound controls the animation in any way. You can have one of them, the other, both, or neither, and it makes no difference except for what you find aesthetically pleasing.

desc.txt therefore only provides instructions to the system on how to run through the sequence of boot images in order to run the animation properly.

Upvote 0
Can't you just use ES File Explorer to copy from sd card and paste in /system/media? Then delete or save to the sd card the old boot animation?
Make sure the new one is named "boot animation" the same as the old one is. On the next reboot it will be you new boot animation.

You can even wipe cache and dalvik and flash the boot animation.zip from the recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones