• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "Linux questions (and other stuff)" thread

Ooh that's a deal breaker for me. But I still maintain that Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is one superb O/S. Does absolutely everything I need.
In reality its just the older os with a upgraded gnome desktop.

I prefer the older simpler ubuntu interface as this new version tends to lag on the less unfortunate systems.

Either way debian core os is king over all other linux versions.

Upvote 0
Ding dong, Unity is dead!

6a00d8341cca7b53ef01347fcefb26970c-pi

(If you haven't guessed, I've never been a fan. ;) )

Reactions: palmtree5
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi, I need some help...
I installed Ubuntu yesterday (I can't recall which version.. maybe the latest one...)
And when I started it, it was on full brightness...
I used the Fn keyboard shortcut to reduce the brightness
The brightness indicator that pops up showed that the brightness was reducing but the display brightness wasn't changing at all...
I am very new to linux, so I don't know how to fix this issue...

Just in case anyone needs it:
My laptop: Acer Aspire 5738Z
It had come with Windows 7. The I upgraded to Windows 10. And now I'm dual booting between Ubuntu and Win 10...
Windows 10 works perfectly, Ubuntu doesn't... I need some setting up I think...
Can I simply get a software like f.lux on Ubuntu? because that has a nice feature to reduce brightness...
I followed the easy fixes that I could find on Google... Most of them didn't work and I don't know what I've installed on my PC now... I know I did installed something from the terminal...

Any help would be appreciated and since I am very new to linux you may ask any questions or correct me please...

Upvote 0
Hi.

Need some advice from you experts who have tried running a portable Kali Linux on a Tablet.

I have a XPS 13 PC laptop. Connect to Linux using a portable Kali Linux 'Live' 64gb Flash Drive uploaded from Kali ISO armf distro. Looking to purchase a Android Tablet. Never owned one. Would like to explore running this Kali FD distro on a Tablet. When traveling abroad, the tablet will be specifically used for internet connection, penetration testing & terminal cmds in monitor mode.

3 (Q's).
1. Currently I insert kali FD into usb port, boot into windows recovery mode, launch kali FD from the PC. I am aware Android phones will not launch Kali distro from a ISO FD.
(Q) Is the Tablet configured to work similar: plug the FD stick in the Tablet's USB port and launch Kali Linux?

2. When kali has launched successfully from my FD stick, I plug in External Interface card TP-Link-TL-WN722N (wlan1) to get internet connection on my PC.
(Q) Will my external interface dongle be recognized as Wlan1 using a tablet?

3. I am leaning towards purchasing Tablet Fusion5 104GPS Android Tablet PC(see link below) It comes with a USB port, 6.0 Android Marshmallow.
(Q) Would this fit my requirements or have you a better Android Tablet recommendation.
https://www.amazon.com/10-1-Fusion5-...11b14338cac361

Thanks

TC.

Upvote 0
Hi.

Need some advice from you experts who have tried running a portable Kali Linux on a Tablet.

I have a XPS 13 PC laptop. Connect to Linux using a portable Kali Linux 'Live' 64gb Flash Drive uploaded from Kali ISO armf distro. Looking to purchase a Android Tablet. Never owned one. Would like to explore running this Kali FD distro on a Tablet. When traveling abroad, the tablet will be specifically used for internet connection, penetration testing & terminal cmds in monitor mode.

3 (Q's).
1. Currently I insert kali FD into usb port, boot into windows recovery mode, launch kali FD from the PC. I am aware Android phones will not launch Kali distro from a ISO FD.
(Q) Is the Tablet configured to work similar: plug the FD stick in the Tablet's USB port and launch Kali Linux?

2. When kali has launched successfully from my FD stick, I plug in External Interface card TP-Link-TL-WN722N (wlan1) to get internet connection on my PC.
(Q) Will my external interface dongle be recognized as Wlan1 using a tablet?

3. I am leaning towards purchasing Tablet Fusion5 104GPS Android Tablet PC(see link below) It comes with a USB port, 6.0 Android Marshmallow.
(Q) Would this fit my requirements or have you a better Android Tablet recommendation.
https://www.amazon.com/10-1-Fusion5-...11b14338cac361

Thanks

TC.
I'm sorry no one's been able to help. I can't either, so I'm going to suggest trying boards specific to your issues. You may get some helpful input there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones