• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "Linux questions (and other stuff)" thread

Me? I LOVE the command line! I still do all my real work there.
Ah, a woman after my own heart! :) To me any computer I can't launch a bash shell on (or zsh at a pinch) is essentially useless for work.

To show I'm not kidding, I just had a quick look at my laptop and can see 16 terminal windows open (spread over 13 virtual desktops - I use different workspaces for different projects and tasks). But several of those have more than one tab, so that's an underestimate of the number of command lines I have going. I can do virtually anything faster with a command line than a graphical file browser, so rarely open those things.

(OK, this is a Macbook, but that's just a BSD derivative with a different GUI on it, so it's still a *nix. And I use Linux for all of my serious computing, entirely via the command line).

Upvote 0
There's a teacher looking for guidance setting up a private server, having their students connecting to it with Kindle Fires.

I've gone as far as I can go in the thread.

I know the project can be done--at both ends, i.e., probably rooting the Kindles and providing a locked-down, fixed GUI for the students, and setting up the required services on the Linux box--but I cannot provide the know-how.

I'd appreciate any of you dual Linux/Android geeks popping in to see what you can do. Thanks!

Upvote 0
My printer stopped working and I don't know why. :(

In the screenshot, you'll see that I'm getting this: /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed

Also in the screenshot, note that the executable file hp exists in /usr/lib/cups/backend.

tmp_HPDesktop_printer.png

This is the PC running Kubuntu 9.10 whose pic of it booting up I recently posted.

The printer is an HP Deskjet F4100 Series; its age is ≈12 years old. Nothing has been changed in its settings or its system files in YEARS.

I've tried all the obvious things, but have gotten nowhere.

Ideas?

Upvote 0
Any errors in the log file? /var/log/cups/error_log
The log is 10 million lines long. :eek: Scrolling through showed me that I need to give it a proper look--and not on my phone. Will do that later.
You could try uninstalling, and reinstalling the printer.
I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Mint 19 does not come with a KDE version.

Some day I will have to decide whether I like KDE or Mint better, and I am leaning toward Mint.

I mean, xfce does a lot of the things KDE-like, though it's not nearly as flexible... though I see one person on the Mint forums managed to force-update their 18.3 KDE to 19. Mayhaps I will give that a try (with a fresh install of 18.3).

Upvote 0
Also, look at the log straight after the problem occurs. Chances are there would be diagnostic messages right at the end of the log

use command

> less /var/log/cups/error_log

and hit G to go to the end of the file.
Will do.
Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs there :)
You are, but I don't mind. In fact, I appreciate it. Not only is it helpful for oh-so-rusty me, but it can teach newcomers a thing or two, too.

Upvote 0
Eyes glazed over, these 20-yr-old children could not think of any reason why one would need to use a regular expression more complicated than *.*

Though it was pretty amusing when I used as an example, under the aegis of make sure you know what you do in a search/replace, of replacing "ass" with "butt" and ending up turning "association" into "buttociation".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones