1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

The "Linux questions (and other stuff)" thread

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MoodyBlues, Jan 17, 2013.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion counts.
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Jan 27, 2011
    Formerly Linux sysadmin/programmer
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    My how times have changed! Micro$oft wants to bring exFAT to the Linux kernel. :eek: They're even publishing its technical specifications for all to see.

This snippet from the article is interesting:

"Microsoft and Linux used to be mortal enemies — and some in the Linux community definitely still think of Microsoft as anti-open source. These days, though, Microsoft has clearly embraced open source and Linux, which is now the most popular operating system on Azure and, optionally, part of Windows 10, thanks to its Windows Subsystem for Linux."

...especially the part in blue. :D

You all know I'm one who still sees M$ as anti-open source--but if they keep this up, I may have to change my mind!

Advertisement

GameTheory and Dngrsone like this.
  2. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert

I'm not OK with MS getting too involved with our wonderful Linux. They have a history of "embrace, extend, and extinguish". This seems to be exactly what they're doing by embracing linux then extending it with exFat and whatever else and finally extinguishing it (or at least they can try).

Linux is clearly dippin into their coin and MS is not known to stand idle. I know there's many places around the world dumping MS for Linux since it's cost effective, I can't imagine MS takes that lightly. I believe some part/s of Italy not long ago switched to ZorinOS.

Don't know. Maybe I'm being over-protective, but MS still hasn't lived down the Steve Ballmer days for me or prior history.

Dngrsone and MoodyBlues like this.
  3. GameTheory

Oh and if MS really wants to help the linux community they should make a linux version of MS Office. This would make linux a true viable solution in a corporate environment. Bet they would never do that. :rolleyes:

Ok, I swear my rant is over now. :oops:

MoodyBlues likes this.
  4. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Oh, by all means, rant away! You've made nothing but good points--and you know *THIS* rabidly anti-M$ person loves reading it. :D

Dngrsone and GameTheory like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    FWIW, WPS Office is available for Linux.
    https://www.wps.com/linux/

Some of the office PCs are running it in our school.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  6. GameTheory

I was aware of WPS, but I'm not particularly fond of chinese products. I opted for installing MS Office in a virtual machine instead.

To my point though, if MS really wanted to help linux, they would make Office for linux. It's the most widely used and preferred Office in the world.

MS adding exFat support to linux which they're not even making the actual code open source, is not much help considering that exFat support on linux is already excellent.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  7. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Elementary OS, a Linux distro I'm not familiar with, has discovered that users are more than happy to pay for it and its app store's apps.

I'd happily pay for my fave, you know, Kubuntu, if they switched to a pay model; meanwhile, I just make sure that I donate regularly.

Where are you on the pay-vs-donate idea? Would you pay for your favorite distro? With Elementary, it's completely optional; payment amounts start at $0.

GameTheory likes this.
  8. GameTheory

ZorinOS has an interesting take on it. They made a couple versions which are free and an ultimate version which is paid.

I don't mind purchasing or donating if I really need it. I donate mostly to android developers because I share their pain. I've also donated to ubuntu since I've only ever used ubuntu or its flavors.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  9. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Yeah, even though I've never written an Android app, my years programming make me appreciate good apps, and as I've said I think talented developers should be rewarded for their work.

I regularly donate to projects/foundations whose products I depend on. That includes...GNOME Foundation! Yes, this ardent KDE-loving, GNOME-hating person regularly donates to GNOME--but for one specific project, the GIMP. :D

There's a handful of other regulars, including SeaMonkey and Kubuntu, and then there are one-off things as they pop up. I want to do my part to keep software I like, use, and appreciate alive.

In that article I linked to, it said that one little change--'donate' to 'pay what you want'--caused a 10x increase in Elementary's revenue. Nice!

GameTheory likes this.
  10. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Manjaro Linux just made a massive announcement about its future.

I've never tried Manjaro, but I wish them all the best.

GameTheory likes this.
  11. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Huawei just started selling laptops with a beautiful Linux OS pre-installed:

"Some of the best and most affordable premium laptops on the market are now shipping with Linux pre-installed. More specifically they’re shipping with Deepin, a beautiful and polished desktop Linux distribution which, like Huawei, are based in China."

Deepin is yet another Linux distribution I'm not familiar with. But it looks nice. And, as the article says:

"It’s also worth noting that all three of these Huawei laptops run any Linux distribution like a dream, not just Deepin."

About the China thing:

"...the distribution is open source and the code is available on GitHub. Politics and privacy stances aside, Deepin is one of the most stunning Linux desktops out there..."

Sounds pretty good to me.

mikedt likes this.
  12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Well I'm very tempted to hit the BUY button now, but it's got to wait till the end of the month.

laptop.png

Of course I'm aware of the "China thing". :thumbsupdroid:

MoodyBlues likes this.
  13. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Oh, I want to know all about it if you do!
    Yeah, I kind of figured you would be. :)

mikedt likes this.
  14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Well in the meantime I'm going to download and try Deepin, see what it's actually like.
    https://www.deepin.org/en/download/

My previous experiences with Chinese Linux distros haven't been too good, but as this apparently has Huawei behind it, should be better.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  15. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Please let us know your take on it.

You know, I used to love trying different Linux distros, I mean up to and including after I'd settled on Kubuntu as *my* distro. It was fun running live versions, or--on a new laptop--installing one, using it for awhile, then wiping it and installing another, ultimately ending up with Kubuntu.

But since my illness...I just don't care. I have no energy or desire to fiddle with new flavors at this point. I'm not complaining! I'm perfectly content where I am right now. But I kind of hope that old excitement and enthusiasm comes back at some point, because it was such fun, and it kept me in the loop, but if it doesn't, I'm good. :)

mikedt likes this.
  16. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Well that's a good start for Deepin. Evidently the included video player can't play the included Deepin introductory video. It's probably missing the necessary codecs.
    Screenshot_20190913_115307.jpg

Will do more investigations. But if this distro turns out have as many issues as other Chinese distros I've tried. I could still buy the Huawei laptop and put Ubuntu or Kubuntu on it, as those are no problems

MoodyBlues likes this.
  17. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I've been testing and using Deepin for most of the afternoon and evening. And so far i haven't found any serious issues with it yet. Apart from the stock video player not working, so I installed VLC instead, and that works perfectly.

Much of the included software is for China, and some is a bit of a Frankenstein as well. Of course it can remove and install whatever you like.
    Screenshot_20190913_222221.jpg

There isn't a Wechat client for Linux. It's only Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS. Also a couple of the included apps are actually Android versions, like iQIYI video, so there's apparently Android support included in this distro, as well as WINE(for running Windows software).

#3042 mikedt, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    MoodyBlues likes this.
  18. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Thanks for the running commentary, @mikedt. Please keep it coming.

So, at this point, would you say that overall you're pleased/impressed/happy/something else with it?

How does its UI customizability compare to Kubuntu's?

In the article, I remember reading that it does come in an English version. That's good to know! :)

mikedt likes this.
  19. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Pine64 announces plans to release a $25 Linux smartwatch next year.

Pine64, a company I'd not heard of before, is also behind a ridiculously low-priced Linux tablet with detachable keyboard. To say nothing of their PinePhone, a Linux phone prototype solely for developers.

I'd like to learn more about their products. Their first pre-order batch of Pinebook Pro laptops sold out just...like...that.

I'm hooked on System76, and wouldn't expect laptops at 10% of their prices to match their quality or specs, but they could be fun to play with. They very easily can--and apparently are--pull in new users who believe It's never too late to escape the Gate$ of hell. :D

20. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Oracle releases the "world's first" autonomous operating system with its Oracle Autonomous Linux. Among other things, it can tune and patch itself without human intervention, while up and running. :eek:

It certainly sounds very intriguing, and I'm sure it can do what Oracle claims, but I don't see it in any way as a death knell for Linux system administrators. :)

21. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Am I the only *buntu user who has had never heard of something called snaps? Until reading this article, that is.

Thanks to its helpful link, I at least now have a clue about Ubuntu Snap, along with its apparently miraculous impact on the Linux community--not just *buntu users.

I love the first paragraph from the first link:

"All Linux users are the same, right? Oh, hell no! Linux users are a diverse bunch, with differing opinions, tastes, and personalities. In fact, that is probably a contributing factor to the fragmentation of the Linux community. Linux users have lots of options between distributions, desktop environments, and more — they are not stuck in a box like Windows 10 users." :D

22. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

May 2, 2012
    Male
    Student
    USA
    yeah, snaps are basically a packaging format that works on some distros beyond Ubuntu (see also: Flatpak and AppImage)

MoodyBlues likes this.
  23. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

Jan 24, 2013
    Male
    Avionics Technician
    Centrally located far from everywhere, CA
    Somehow, Discover has broken, and I can't seem to fix it... Am I going to have to reinstall Neon?

24. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    What is Discover, @Dngrsone? I'm not familiar with it.

How has it broken? And what have you tried to fix it? What happened then?

Which distro are you using, and what's its version?

25. MoodyBlues

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Look what popped up on Jeopardy! last night:

IMG_20190927_155153.jpg

Anyone else remember when mentioning Linux, even to self-proclaimed 'computer geeks' [who used window$ :rolleyes:], yielded blank stares and "what's that?" Those days are long gone! :D

mikedt and GameTheory like this.