• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The little things...(2.2 Update addons/changes)

I didn't have time to read all the posts here so if this is a dup then forgive me.

The 2.2 update appears to fix the screen grounding flaw!!!! Not that it was a major issue but I'm surprised a software fix worked.

CTC,

Nice catch! The inability to navigate from screen-to-screen when the phone is docked and not plugged in (i.e., the grounding flaw) is fixed! Now when I place my phone in its bean bag car dock, I do not have to always plug it in to use it. With the exception of being totally hands-free with bluetooth, this is one of the best changes that affect me.

My phone has been working nearly flawlessly since the OTA upgrade. The only bad side effect I have encountered is that the app, Calendar Snooze, force closes when I turn the phone on. Otherwise navigation has been quick, web browsing snappy, and new graphics for buttons, callers, and boot-up a welcome change.

Just for everyone's benefit, I have never rooted my phone or installed an update that wasn't pushed by VZW. I am not saying this to brag or pout. I am just wondering if some of the problems from this update are being discovered because the phone was modified a bit more than I have done.

Upvote 0
Forgive my smartphone ignorance, but I now have the update and in looking through
what it offers, I found the following:

+ Transfer data faster with 801.11n Wi-Fi capabilities.
Nothing to do here... just better wifi capabilities when you connect to wifi.

+ Easily switch between the eight most recent applications.
Longpress/Hold your Home button.

+ A new Mail Stream widget increases ease of use.
Simply add the Mail Widget to one of your 7 homescreens.

Are there any directions or explanations for setting up and using these new features? Directions that don't assume the reader knows everything about technology and terminology?

Thanks!
There ya go.

Reactions: hakr100
Upvote 0
Don't know which thread to post:

Have any of used Chrome to phone yet? I'm gradually making the switch to Chrome browser from the Firefox 4 Beta
You can use the Chrome to Phone feature in Firefox 4 as well. Get the "Fox To Phone" addon/extension. It's actually a bit easier to use as it adds a "send to phone" option in any right-click context menu.

I keep trying to make the switch to Chrome, but I can never seem to get used to my bookmarks being on the right side of the UI and having to constantly navigate through bookmark menus. Even the bookmark tree addons don't seem to be adequate to replace the left side-bar of Firefox. But that's just me...

Reactions: dsolis
Upvote 0
To answer the question one page back about one of the guys mentioning a bunch of different updates who claimed the lock screen and world clock show the exact battery percentage, I had the same question, that guy was wrong to. His post is like 2 pages back I think, but he was mistaken or mistyped meaning something else, neither of those screens show any battery percentage, you still need to download an app to see battery percentage at all. (which is stupid, this should be integrated into every version of android / sense / whatever, no arguments, it's useful and should be on every phone stock, but it's not)

Actually, on the clock screen I noticed that it shows battery percentage while you are charging but not other times. At least that is what mine is doing. I've never seen it on the lock screen though.

Upvote 0
Actually, on the clock screen I noticed that it shows battery percentage while you are charging but not other times. At least that is what mine is doing. I've never seen it on the lock screen though.

your correct. I noticed the same thing. One the "clock screen" the batt w/percentages shows up while charging. But it is NOT on the lock screen at all. i don't know what he was talking about.

Upvote 0
Mine has two now, even though I'm still on 2.1. One is the internal storage and the other is the SD card.

Mine does 3 drives now that I've gotten the 2.2 OTA update (one a ram drive). With 2.1 I always got just 2 drives.

Also got other issues now like multiple random rebots (never had that on 2.1) and sluggishness with some apps. And I don't see the new battery status on HTC clock and a bunch of other stuff people have reported.

Upvote 0
New live wallpaper!! It's called Nexus! Just lke the nexus one. It wasn't on my phone before the install of 2.2 so it had to have come with it. It's pretty sweet!

I've actually had it for a while, in an even better live wallpaper called Nexus Revamped. Same thing, more options, check it out.

Anyone have the solution to stop the annoying VCAST Media Manager popup every time you plug the DI into the computer? So lame.

Upvote 0
Battery was supposed to be improved, but now drops immediately to 95% off a full charge. Didn't do that before. Also seems to charge slower. Everything over the web is slower and choppy, be it scrolling or even typing this post. Scrolling homepages and opening apps both are slower. Still can't use any of the major streaming video sites even with this flash update. I'm still not sure what has improved with this update, but the list of things that have gotten worse seems to grow the harder I look.

Upvote 0
I didn't have time to read all the posts here so if this is a dup then forgive me.

The 2.2 update appears to fix the screen grounding flaw!!!! Not that it was a major issue but I'm surprised a software fix worked.

This is the one of the biggest fixes for me. I noticed it right away. i leave my phone on my desk at work and control it with one hand, half the time it wouldn't register my touches. It was even worse in the dock in my car. Now it works perfectly! Ever touch and every slide register exactly as they should.

What's funny is that I e-mailed HTC Support 2 days ago asking about the screen grounding issue, because I had just bought the dock for my car and could barely use it since my touch wouldn't register on the screen unless I grabbed both sides of the phone with my thumb and middle finger and the touched the screen with my index finger! I asked if there was a software fix for this and they gave me some canned response about me having a weak "electromagnetic field" and needing to "envelop" the phone for my "weak EM field" to interface with the screen!

The next day I got my Froyo and the screen issue, completely fixed! What a load of BS they tried to feed me!

Upvote 0
Mine is great! Everything increased in speed and web browsing is fast! Chargeing time remains the same and battery last me all day with medium use where as before it only lasted til 3-4 o'clock. I installed the RUU so that I can get a fresh start, I imagine you will need to wipe to clear things up.

1000 files mean 1000 things can go wrong and you cant expect to throw files on top of files and not to get junk to pile up just wiating for something to go wrong....if you dont believe that then come take a look at my garage :-(

Upvote 0
This is the one of the biggest fixes for me. I noticed it right away. i leave my phone on my desk at work and control it with one hand, half the time it wouldn't register my touches. It was even worse in the dock in my car. Now it works perfectly! Ever touch and every slide register exactly as they should.

What's funny is that I e-mailed HTC Support 2 days ago asking about the screen grounding issue, because I had just bought the dock for my car and could barely use it since my touch wouldn't register on the screen unless I grabbed both sides of the phone with my thumb and middle finger and the touched the screen with my index finger! I asked if there was a software fix for this and they gave me some canned response about me having a weak "electromagnetic field" and needing to "envelop" the phone for my "weak EM field" to interface with the screen!

The next day I got my Froyo and the screen issue, completely fixed! What a load of BS they tried to feed me!

What car dock are you using? I bought an Arkon and it broke after two weeks. I took it apart and the teeth on the gears were already shot!

Anyway, very excited about the fix to the grounding flaw...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones