• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The little things...(2.2 Update addons/changes)

Installed 2.2 on my Incredible this morning. Just before lunch I reached in my pocket for my phone and the battery side was HOT and when I looked, even though it was on my charger all night, battery was almost totally spent. Put it on my charger and noticed all the junk that Verizon so graciously injected into my phone (Skype, etc) was running and so were a LARGE quantity of my apps.

Had Advanced Task Killer and saw that people were suggesting to dump that. So I did. A short time later, reached for phone, HOT again, checked and tons of apps running. Re-installed ATK and set it to kill apps whenever screen is off (needed restart) and although "some" apps fire back up and stay up, not near as many as do without ATK. And battery now stays cool.

Read ATK does nothing but any other way to shut this stuff down short of rooting phone? And if people don't use ATK or root their phone, did they just doom their battery life to a couple hours?

The added "bloatware" apps aren't really using any processing power. After several days not a single one of them has managed to even clock 1 second of CPU time. You can bet it was that "large quantity" of your apps doing it. Most likely one or more got stuck awake. Rather than using ATK to sweep the problem under the rug where it will only get worse...I recommend finding the actual problem and getting rid of it. You could use System panel to go through and check what all is using how much CPU time. Even something you use frequently shouldn't be too high on there ( EX, most things I use frequently are only a few minutes of total CPU time. Sense is sitting around 7 mins atm. )

If you find something that is just going crazy, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling, but you may need to just find a replacement.

Upvote 0
images

Upvote 0
your loss.

Its a somewhat isolated incident. There are thousands of reviews that are praising 2.2, and very few that have issues that all differ from one another. Who are you gonna listen to?

That was kind of my question, if its an isolated few, or is it a mass known issue.

Can anyone else confirm that Froyo causes a bunch of installed apps and newly forced upon us apps to continue to run and kill the battery?

I haven't received the update yet and will not install it if it is going to make my battery life worse.

Is this happening to everyone or just a select few?

I guess he wrote the same thing as me, but better lol

Upvote 0
I haven't been blown away. It's an incremental improvement in my book. Nothing earth shattering to be sure. 720 video is pretty bad unfortunately (not looking for a replacement to a real camera, was just hoping for something reasonable in quality). I dont even see a difference between 720 and 480 on these two videos I shot before and after the update.

YouTube - August 31, 2010 4:00 PM

YouTube - VIDEO0013

Browser is (unfortunately) still slower than the 3rd party browsers on pages full of ads and crap.

Overall I'm happy with the update still.

wow dude first off your cats gonna hate you if you keep poking and pulling at it;).... well. your 480 is shot outside and your 720 is shot inside. on the 720(inside)maybe use your flash to give a little light on the kitty(it does that now, bet you did not know that) also dont move in so fast. oh well both look good to me.

Upvote 0
You've always been able to take portrait pictures with the Incredible. Just hold it right side up and take the picture. It will save it in portrait format. The only difference is that now the buttons rotate to however you're holding it since people like the OP didn't know that feature was there without it, I guess.

Upvote 0
I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong but, the new software doesn't kill apps because it's managing them for you. I've had my phone on since 6:45AM pst and with moderate to heavy usage (streaming, downloading, web browsing flash sites) I haven't tried to kill anything, and I have 55% battery life. This is about equal to my phones' life prior to the update, which I'm fine with. I tried for the life of me how to figure out how to kill my music app. I now have to pause and just hit home. After the pause system panel will let you kill it, but it just pops up a minute later. I'm just not going to worry about it unless it really affects the performance. As of now it's all good. I think we may all just need to adjust to how the new software operates. I'm a bit of a noob, so I might not exactly have the right theory. Anyone know anything about this??

Upvote 0
Got OTA Froyo love. Not rooted. Now every time I plug my phone to my PC to charge; it hijacks my PC web browser and wants me to install the V Cast media manager on my system.

I find that I am not alone. Thanks to kayst! It worked for me.

SparksGuy

I found this solution on the forums here, but have not tried it because I haven't gotten a popup.
Dial ##7764726
Hit Call
Type Password 000000 (6 0s)
Hit Feature Settings
Choose CD ROM
Click Disable
Hit menu, commit modifications (it will say no item changed)

Upvote 0
Anyone have the solution to stop the annoying VCAST Media Manager popup every time you plug the DI into the computer? So lame.

Got OTA Froyo love. Not rooted. Now every time I plug my phone to my PC to charge; it hijacks my PC web browser and wants me to install the V Cast media manager on my system.

I find that I am not alone.
Thanks to kayst, I offer these words (worked for me, SparksGuy):

Code:
 I found this solution on the forums here, but have not tried it because I haven't gotten a popup.
Dial ##7764726
Hit Call
Type Password 000000 (that's 6 zeros)
Hit Feature Settings
Choose CD ROM
Click Disable
Hit menu, commit modifications (it will say no item changed)

Upvote 0
That will prevent me from accepting the update.

Any replies to the above?

My phone is cool not hot. I just opened running services and I see Skype mobile that wasn't on the phone till after update. Realize I did the RUU so everything was wiped. My battery now lasts about 14 hours instead of about 6-7. I really don't notice any difference in browser lag at all. I use Dolphin HD. Ok I shut off Skype and it did not come back on yet and its been about a minute. I'm happy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones