• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The long awaited WWE ROM update for the HTC Hero has leaked!

Ok I'm quite new when it comes to rooting but I have decided that I will root it tonight and stick on MCR 2.x but IF for some reason I decide I wish to unroot it and go back to the original Orange firmware... how would I go about doing so...

links would be much appreciated if possible!

Thanks,

If you follow this video first: How To: Root Your HTC Hero in One Click! | The Unlockr you will be able to boot into recovery mode (a bit like when you boot a PC from floppy/cd to re-install windows) - one of the options on the recovery menu is to do a nandroid backup which is a full image backup of your phone to SD card (welcome to the first benefit of rooting!). If you do this 1st then you can proceed with a new ROM, knowing you can always restore your original sysyem.

Upvote 0
If you follow this video first: How To: Root Your HTC Hero in One Click! | The Unlockr you will be able to boot into recovery mode (a bit like when you boot a PC from floppy/cd to re-install windows) - one of the options on the recovery menu is to do a nandroid backup which is a full image backup of your phone to SD card (welcome to the first benefit of rooting!). If you do this 1st then you can proceed with a new ROM, knowing you can always restore your original sysyem.

Thanks a lot mate,

Much Appreciated :)

Have you done it yourself by the way?

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot mate,

Much Appreciated :)

Have you done it yourself by the way?

All done (says proudly!) - if you carefully follow the 2 unlockr.com tutorials (making sure you do a backup 1st) you should be fine. If you want to be able to install apps on your sd card (as opposed to the default phone memory) then I would set your card up for this before installing any apps on your newly ROM flashed Hero. The procedure for this is a bit trickier and you would need to have basic knowledge of command line usage to do it - if you don't I would leave alone for now. The links for apps2sd are:

How to manually partition your SD card for Android Apps2SD|Android and Me

[HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) - xda-developers

If you follow the above tutorials your SD card will be specially partitioned so that with the new custom ROM apps will automatically be installed to the SD card by default.

Anything you want to know just ask (hell I have had such amazing free help from this community!). Cheers Phil

Upvote 0
IF for some reason I decide I wish to unroot it and go back to the original Orange firmware... how would I go about doing so...

You would simply restore the backup you made beforehand. ;)

Start here, then follow the instructions/notes here carefully.

If you're going with MCR2.x then you'll want to repartition your SDHC card to create a second ext3 partition for Apps2SD. This can be done non-destructively using various tools such as Gparted, Partition Magic, Disk Director etc but I'd recommend doing it from the recovery image as detailed in the second section here. You'll have to wipe the handset anyway as part of the update so imho you're better starting with a completely blank canvas.

In summary my workflow is:
(a) Flash the modified recovery image to the handset
(b) Reboot into the recovery image (hold HOME while powering on)
(c) If successful, reboot from menu
(d) Backup any files you want to keep from your SDHC card
(e) Reboot into the recovery image
(f) Select 'nandroid v2.2 backup'
(g) Repartition your card as desired (see above link)
(h) Reboot and start normally
(i) Copy desired ROM to /sdcard as 'update.zip'
(j) Boot into recovery image once more
(k) Select 'wipe data/factory reset'
(l) Select 'apply sdcard:update.zip'
(m) Reboot when complete

This seems a lot of work, but it's actually pretty quick and easy to do and should ensure that you never find yourself in an irrecoverable situation.

/Al

Upvote 0
Wow this is awesome, this is the hero i have been wating for (in a non Tina Turner way).

Tjos addresses all my problems with the hero:

video playback (bbeb player and youtube both work perfectly now)
lag in contact menu
general lag switching between functions
sync between alarm sounds and notifications

and its much much smoothe, well done HTC and Modaco team!

Upvote 0
The only thing I've yet to do is update the radio - is this really neccessary? How do you update the radio - I assume by renaming the file to "update" and installing like a rom?

I have only updated the Rom not radio and yes update the radio file to. update and u good to go however I did radio update and for somereason my. phone bricked and not turning on so. I had to get replacement from orange .... I don't know if its radio file play to. update orange phone or I did something wrong anyway I m using the old radio. as I cannot take another chance to. bricked 2nd handset.

Upvote 0
May be a dumb question but...

If I just installed 1.5.1 a few days ago, and given my phone is obviously still rooted how would the steps be different for me to get 2.0? Do I need to just put the new zip file in and run it? Or do I have to do the entire process over?

Thanks!

Simple - just do as you say - installs over the top of 1.5.1

Upvote 0
I have only updated the Rom not radio and yes update the radio file to. update and u good to go however I did radio update and for somereason my. phone bricked and not turning on so. I had to get replacement from orange .... I don't know if its radio file play to. update orange phone or I did something wrong anyway I m using the old radio. as I cannot take another chance to. bricked 2nd handset.

Hi - just to finish the job I just updated the radio to 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 -all went fine - can't see any obvious improvement though yet.

Upvote 0
Yup.

Nope.

Just copy the new ROM update to /sdcard as 'update.zip', reboot into the custom recovery image (HOME + POWER) and apply update.zip from the menu.

/Al

But do I need to do a wipe first? So, would I just drag the new update in to teh SDcard, rename it update, then power up as you said and run update.zip and that's it?

Just want to make sure before I screw this up haha. Also, is there truly much of a difference or is it really worth it?

Thanks so much everyone.

Upvote 0
The only thing I've yet to do is update the radio - is this really neccessary?

Nope, not necessary but may improve signal/wi-fi performance - there are reports from other users of this. If you're having issues an update might be worth a try, and you can always reflash the original if you're not happy. It's hard to be subjective as I haven't done any scientific tests myself yet, and I had no problems with the previous versions. However I'd say that the signal strength meter is showing on average an extra bar with the latest radio installed here.

Just be aware that it's not as seamless a process as the ROM update; you get prompted to reboot after the initial unpacking and installation, but the phone then boots into the recovery image a second time and does the 'formatting cache...' thing. You get no reboot prompt this time, and it may appear that the process has hung. Just reboot from the menu anyway and it will restart normally.

Edit: Oops, too late. Glad it worked anyway Phil. :)

@3rd-Geer: No need to wipe. Copy, reboot, run, reboot.... sorted! Differences? None here that I've noticed performance-wise. A bit of internal memory will be lost due to /dalvik-cache being relocated back from the /system/sd for performance reasons but I find v2.0 just as snappy as v1.5.

/Al

Upvote 0

With Orange do you have insurance with them? My phones currently not insured and I was wondering if they would replace it if I did manage to brick it or if I should quickly buy some insurance :)

Regards

Upvote 0
I.
Nope, not necessary but may improve signal/wi-fi performance - there are reports from other users of this. If you're having issues an update might be worth a try, and you can always reflash the original if you're not happy. It's hard to be subjective as I haven't done any scientific tests myself yet, and I had no problems with the previous versions. However I'd say that the signal strength meter is showing on average an extra bar with the latest radio installed here.

Just be aware that it's not as seamless a process as the ROM update; you get prompted to reboot after the initial unpacking and installation, but the phone then boots into the recovery image a second time and does the 'formatting cache...' thing. You get no reboot prompt this time, and it may appear that the process has hung. Just reboot from the menu anyway and it will restart normally.

Edit: Oops, too late. Glad it worked anyway Phil. :)

@3rd-Geer: No need to wipe. Copy, reboot, run, reboot.... sorted! Differences? None here that I've noticed performance-wise. A bit of internal memory will be lost due to /dalvik-cache being relocated back from the /system/sd for performance reasons but I find v2.0 just as snappy as v1.5.

/Al

Thanks anyway Slug - that reformatting cache did worry me, but a quick Googling put my mind at rest!

Upvote 0
I have made the partition on my sd card ext 3, linux swap and fat32

Partitions should be FAT32, ext3 and linux-swap in that order.

when i install the app app are still installing in internal memory any idea what i done wrong?

It's usual to still see some internal memory use. What is showing as available internal memory, as a matter of interest?

Upvote 0
OK so there are THREE differences in the 1.5.1 update that I just realized.

#1 - Before, the weather on my home screen (the one that sits within the clock) used to update based on the location I was in. If I was in White Plains, it would say that and the weather there. If I was in NYC it would say that and the weather, etc.

Now when I'm in various locations it only gives me the weather of the area in which I set my phone up....just NYC. Kinda sucks because I liked the other feature a lot better.

#2 - The same clock on the home page doesn't animate like it did before. It looked really cool before, but now it's static. I would assume that this was taken off to speed up page animations etc.

#3 - Although the camera works like the iphone (touch to focus) now there is no zoom feature. Prior to this update when you scroll up and down it will zoom in and out. Now...it's discabled.

If anyone knows how to get these features back, expecially #1 please let me know.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
#1 - Before, the weather on my home screen (the one that sits within the clock) used to update based on the location I was in.

I dunno, maybe try opening Weather, tap the rh '+' soft button and then "My Location"? It's not a feature I've used so I can't be of more help.

#2 - The same clock on the home page doesn't animate like it did before. It looked really cool before, but now it's static.

I actually found the flipping every time you returned to the Home screen really irritating. I don't think it's a configurable setting, rather a result of the improved UI performance.

#3 - Although the camera works like the iphone (touch to focus) now there is no zoom feature.

This is working on mine. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones