• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Market - Make it Not Horrible

Rindan

Lurker
Jun 24, 2010
I really, really, really love Android. I have a nerdgasim every time I touch my Evo. My friends are going to refuse to spend time with me soon because all I can do is caress my Evo and babble about how wonderful it is. I am as much of an Android fan boy as one can get. That said, there is one thing that absolutely sucks about Android... the market place.

I like that Android's open market place. I have absolutely no problem with the free-for-all. My problem is the inability to sort through the free-for-all. There are a number of things that really suck about the Market.

Developers need the ability to explain why they need access to certain things. The poor Last.FM developer made a freaking awesome app and had their rating mauled because it asked for GPS access. There was a legit reason. They wanted to be able to tell you where nearby concerts were. Their rating was destroyed until they panicked added an explanation in the sparse few words the market lets you use to describe your app explaining why it wanted the access. Why not give developers a line or two for each alert they trigger to describe WHY they need access to whatever?

Spammers... holy crap. I can't recall what it was I was searching for, but I couldn't find a damn thing because one company spammed thirty thousand waving flag apps from every single freaking country in the world. Nothing like loading up page after page after page of spam from one developer. No dude... I really don't want waving flags or hot Asian girl pictures111!!!11!! I would KILL to be able to moderate an app as spam and filter the search by stars and downloads. No need to ban anything, just let people rate it into oblivion and filter out the spam. A nice Slashdot rating system would be killer. Hell, just give me the ability to remove a developer from my search results so when a search is filled with a hundred HOT ASIAN GIRLZ!!! apps I can just remove that developer from people I want to see. There desperately needs to be some sort of search control. Is there an app that lets you search the market place in a manner that is useful? It is shameful that Google, the god of search, has given us such a completely criminally horrible search function for the market place.

So, barring Google taking pity on my pleas to make the market not suck, does anyone have some app based solutions? An app that lets you search by stars and download count would solve a solid 80% of my complaints. I would just only search for apps with more than 3 stars and more than a few hundred downloads and that would kill most of the spam. There are a few websites doing app reviews, but they really are not keeping up with the torrent.

It is just so frustrating that such an awesome OS is marred by such a horrible market place. It is even more maddening that the Google, the freaking god of search and slayer of spam has such a horrible unsearchable spam filled market.

I agree that I'd like to able to filter results by number of downloads and rating, I'd also like to block apps from some developers. Google does need to do some serious work on categorizing the Market better and providing better searching & filtering. In general they could just add a lot more functionality to the Market.

Upvote 0
The Market has been one of the big disappointments for me as far as Android goes. I love the Droid and think its great that there are so so many apps. But the market is just a complete mess. Also I hope in the future that there is some sort of tv/movie store that caters to Android much like the PSN/Xbox Live or the Apple store for the Iphones.

Upvote 0
Finally somebody comes out and says it! I hate using the market. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I wish you could sort the programs in order of rating, not most downloaded. Or alphabetical if you wanted. Just some other way than most downloaded. Or maybe even have a Top 100 category. I started using AppBrain, and I do like that, but the Hot Apps portion of that is always the same. Every couple days I'll find an app that looks interesting, but for the most part, it's the same stuff everyday. And you still can't sort that by highest rated. In addition, I've found stuff on AppBrain before that I've searched for in the market and not been able to find, yet when I click on the install in AppBrain it comes up.

I agree, I love my Incredible more than any phone I've ever had (and my wife would say more than her... hehe) but it's so hard to discover new programs without checking 20 different websites a day.

And yes, the amount of spam apps is inexcusable. How do these things even get approved and make it to the market, I wonder?

Upvote 0
:thinking: There have definitely been many threads on this subject in the past.

AppBrain and app reviews help but the Market definitely needs some work.

Well this is the first I've seen. Never bothered to read any of the others. So let me rephrase...

Finally, somebody comes out and says it and I bothered to read it!

Good? :D

Upvote 0
I totally agree with the OP!! Seems like the maker of Android needs to consult with a first rate search engine company and make this thing usable. :)

It would also be great if the ENTIRE market was available at a website. Does Appbrain or androidapplications do this? Is EVERYTHING found at places like these?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones