• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Marshmallow Mistake (or was it?)

JakeM80

Jul 7, 2012
AZ
Updated my S5 to Marshmallow 6.0.1 yesterday, as T-Mobile DEMANDED.

All things considered, I think the update went pretty well, and there's only these two little errors my phone is having. They aren't terrible, in the grand scheme of things, but I'm worried they could be indicative of larger problems with my phone and the update. It would give my OCD-focusing brain a lot of comfort if somebody here could solve the issues for me...

Okay, so, here we go:

Problem the 1st: The Notification Panel's "Quick Setting Button" lineup can't remember my edited order for the buttons. It's always putting "Screen Rotation" in the 1st column, and I keep replacing it with "Airplane Mode", which I use a lot more often. But, then, the second I reset my phone "Screen Rotation" is back in the Top 5. I really can't figure what could be causing this, and worry it's a sign of a deeper issue with the phone remembering changes. Here's hoping that's not the case.

Problem the 2nd: There's an application called "Samsung Voice Recorder" that refuses to update. It will download the update, and attempt to install it. But then it goes right back to being un-updated. I've cleared Google Play's cache and attempted a re-install, but to no effect. And my worry here is that a file in this specific program got installed wrong during the update.

I feel like I sound paranoid. But when I went through the last major update my S5 freaked out and basically got bricked. It became a $600 paperweight until I got a new one, thankfully.
So, yeah, I'm probably being a little crazy here, but honestly any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Please help set my mind at ease.

Thank you for reading,
Jake

Yes, "Problem the 2nd" seems to have sorted itself out. But "Problem the 1st" is still very annoying.

I haven't found any solution, yet, to the issue of the notification buttons resetting every power down. But here's a T-Mobile support page that shows others having the same issue. Maybe if we, and anyone else that experiences this same issue, sign on and write about it on the page somebody will do something?

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/132431

Upvote 0
That kind of behavior with the buttons resetting is indicative of a temp file permissions issue and it should be a simple fix, but then T-Mobile has to figure out how to push it our to those already upgraded. As with 'Problem the 2nd' it will probably resolve itself.

If the update is indeed correct, then I'd suspect a glitch in the update itself and you've got an old default setting hanging around from the previous version. You might try booting into recovery and wiping the system cache. If that doesn't fix it, as with any major upgrade, a full factory reset is recommended. (and don't forget to backup first!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones