1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General The (maybe) "Epic" Motorola X Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The_Chief, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Crudes

Crudes Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010

Moto X to hit all four carriers on Aug. 23, customizations exclusive to AT&T until November | Mobile & Apps

Advertisement

2. halon

halon hakuna matata
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Boilermaker, Norfolk Southern
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
  3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 32GB upgrade was part of the motomaker, but that may have been a product of speculation or misinformation.

4. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Electrical Design Engineer
    Northwestern Alabama
    This! So much this! I still FIRMLY believe that the reason for the constant delays in the Galaxy Nexus launch was to give their newest Droid time to sell.

5. halon

halon hakuna matata
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Altoona, Pennsylvania

Maybe? As far as I've read that is part of the customization deal.

6. Unforgiven

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I know, that's what I think, but I can't seem to remember which blog regurgitated another blog where I read it.:rolleyes:

7. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Electrical Design Engineer
    Northwestern Alabama
    I'm really not sure what the author of that article is thinking. If he's an industry expert that he claims to be, he would shed some light on the computing architecture rather than point fingers at Motorola and say they are misleading people. My experience with electronics design is pretty limited to very basic Atmel and Microchip microprocessor type stuff...but I understand what Moto is doing. Nothing about their presentation was misleading to me. Even the so-called "fake" PCB with 8 cores on it he is saying Moto used to mislead people was pretty obvious to me that it was just a graphical representation of each core...not a physical PCB/Chipset layout.

8. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
    Under your bed

Yes that's the case. The 32 GB is only available through Motomaker. If you look at the motomaker demo it clearly shows it. Plus I did read it somewhere that it is indeed part of the customization.
    Moto Maker demo

Moto Maker demo - YouTube

AHHHH here - Motorola Moto X vs. HTC One

"The 32 GB edition of the Moto X is also an AT&T exclusive at launch, leaving everyone else with just 16 GB and no microSD card slot."

Unforgiven likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA

10. swantonbomboy

swantonbomboy Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Mechanical Design Engineer
    NJ
    I'm wondering if AT&T promised Moto a huge number of Moto X units sold similar to what they did for Apple to get the initial exclusivity. Wouldn't be a bad thing to give Moto a kick start back into the non-VZW market.

11. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
    Under your bed

Thanks for brokering the truth when so few do.

EarlyMon likes this.
  12. egDonald

egDonald Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    Male
    Elk Grove, CA
    If that's the case , they better work hard to get someone like myself to buy in :\
    Only reason I stay with ATT at the moment us because I have no reason to change carriers - that and I want to avoid the headaches of changing carriers.

13. Cronis

Cronis Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    To conclude I dont think people are angry that the Moto X lacks a quad core or 1080p screens. I think they just don't like the fact that they would have to pay just as much for the Moto X as they would for a device that does have those specs (as well as high end cameras and replaceable batteries/SD cards).

Also the amount of attention being brought to this is not a bad thing per say as it may even drive the price of the Moto X down more quickly.

14. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Android Expert
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Jr. I.T. Support Tech @ Amazon
    Plainfield, Indiana
    New rumor pegs release on all carriers on August 23rd.

15. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Well, August 23rd is meaningless if it's just the 16GB version. No way can I constrain myself to that little storage. Have fun, folks...

16. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Android Expert
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Jr. I.T. Support Tech @ Amazon
    Plainfield, Indiana
    Yeah I understand. I can manage with 16gb pretty easily considering I rarely listen to music and at most have less than 50 songs on my phone, zero right now.

But I will still like to have 32 gb to be safe. I'm still considering switching to att so it will just depend on who releases this first for me to decide.

17. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2011
  18. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Cronis - I'm going to skip over the parts regarding sematics and debating tactics.

Let's try here -

Thats not really true, while I was working at nasa we were developing a 81 core chip for an advanced STIS that pulled about 12w during peak load. most of the cores were running at a far higher frequency then you see in most high end desktop CPUs. I'm not really aloud to give any more details on it but suffices to say more cores =/ less efficient, if anything it can make a CPU more efficient. what we observed was that running multiple threads/processes over a large quantity of lower frequency cores was far more efficient then running the same quantity over fewer high frequency cores. Not only that but with the large quantity of down clocked cores their frequency could be increased when required leaving a huge amount of untapped power for when it was required compared to the high frequency low core CPUs.

I find that interesting.

My multicore processor development was for guidance systems for unmanned flight vehicles.

In the processors we're discussing here, not only are the cores independently clocked, they are provided variable voltage separately for each core.

The inflection point for speed/cores-on vs. power draw is rather high going from a single core to a dual core.

It lowers (and we can discuss the envelope surrounding it if you think that matters) when going from 2 to 4 and again from 4 to 8 and so forth.

And I dare say, having worked with NASA, the DOE and DoD on a number of space-based and ground-based platforms, that most of the experience you're quoting is more than likely for specialized tasks with a non-stochastic scheduler - and not for general purpose computing as is the subject here.

If your experience with any 81 core processor for the program you're mentioning involved a stochastic scheduler, please do correct me.

I'm far from looking at a desktop and guessing on this subject myself while engaging in semantics and sophistry. :D

I'm not sure that you understand how your assumptions apply to GP computing with a Linux architecture and unfortunately, you're not in a position to get into details on that processor experience.

If you are able to discuss it, fire away.

I'm one of the principle authors of an asymmetric multiprocessing operating system for real time acquisition and control - very much the exact same model employed by Linux here. :) I'm sure I'll be able to keep up.

BTW -

I doubt anyone but the android/moto software engineers know that tbh. As far as I know though most graphics are still processed by the GPU even though Nvidia would like to change GPUs into more of a general processing chip.

I see - you misunderstood my point, which was - no one does, that can vary by app.

As far as using the GPU for GP work, a few of the more impressive iOS apps do exactly that, something possible with cooperative multitasking, not preemptive multitasking (without a LOT more silicon).

And by the way if I substitute -

It was just a phrase we coined while I was at nasa to express our frustration that OEMs were not developing new tech we needed to progress our research, they just kept reusing old tech. Aka static or a lack of progress.

Into -

You seem to be assuming that we live in static tech progression when in fact we don't, last years high end tech is this years mid end tech.

Then it's pretty clear that you were lumping me into some bad company - which was obvious by the fact that you said I'd assumed something contrary to my exact same quotes.

In any case, no matter on that. :D

You're entitled to your opinion that this is mid-range tech.

Your premise that this was last year's tech, you've agreed you were inaccurate on, and I believe I've addressed again the whole nature of the processing-efficiency/power-curve once again, from at least an equally solid basis of experience.

Cheers! :)

PS -

yep your right after double checking the dates it seems that the actual phones were not released till later... i was seeing the hardware preview units not actual release phones.

In 2012?

The Qualcomm Mobile Development Platform for the Snapdragon 800 was announced in May 2013 as I recall.

The Krait 200 S4 Pro Tablet dev platform came out in June 2012 I believe- https://developer.qualcomm.com/mobile-development/development-devices/snapdragon-s4-pro-apq8064-mdpt

I've not found anything for a Snapdragon MDP with Krait 300s from 2012.

And this is pretty basic but not uninteresting - https://developer.qualcomm.com/blog/multi-threading-android-apps-multi-core-processors-part-1-2

19. Cronis

Cronis Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2010

yea at this point for me its pretty much between the Moto X and a S4 Mini. I like that the S4 mini has the replaceable battery and SD card, but the Moto X looks very interesting. Still deciding if its just a gimick though. guess we will have to wait and see!

I'm not looking for a super phone or anything just a decent spec user with good battery. Would have loved a great camera but i cant seem to find any good cams on phones in the smaller sizes. except maybe the Nokia N8, but that would not make for a very strong smartphone lol

EarlyMon likes this.
  20. halon

halon hakuna matata
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    P3Droid: Motorola Engineer hints that consumers may be able to customize more than just colors in the future! Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!!

shalemail and EarlyMon like this.
  21. rabidhunter

rabidhunter Android Expert
    None

Jan 23, 2012
    Male
    Banker
    Illinois
    Wow, can you say, poor salesmanship. It is one thing to highlight other products, but a no no to bad mouth any product like that. So unprofessional, I would have talked to a manager later.

22. Unforgiven

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I just left a VZW store gEEk and had damn near the identical response from the manager. Moto sucks, here's a nice S4 for you. Moto's are junk with poor signal, interpreted by me as "my commision is way higher on Samsung devices.":banghead:

23. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
  24. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Teacher/Church Planter/ Basketball Coach
    Cincinnati
  25. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    Huntersville, NC
    I'd really like to ditch the Samdung GNex and get on with something new ASAP. Really on its last legs - microphone doesn't even work (I know right, who needs a phone that makes calls?). Even considering switching back to my Droid X.

Only a few more weeks I guess...

Honestly the 16 / 32 gb thing doesn't bother me in the slightest. Not for a phone anyway. I don't think I've ever used microSD expansion or a ton of storage space. Nor do I watch movies or game on my phone. But to each their own, maybe I'm the odd man out.

The customization thing.. eh that kinda bugs me. Kind of a lot, especially needing a new device pronto! I get where they (Moto & ATT) are coming from with regard to exclusivity. But how many people are really switching carriers these days? Is it more than I'm thinking? Can they dangle a big enough carrot to make someone switch from Company A to Company B? For me, if I get a good price break from work on Company A, well that's what I'm using. A number of friends and family of mine.. if a carrier is the only one with decent coverage in their area, well, no choice there! Maybe it's different in the really big metro areas.

Long story short the various exclusivity deals do more to aggravate me than to motivate me to switch from A to B, especially now with SO many devices being so close on specs or performance.