1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

The more I change ROMS, the more stutter my home screen becomes.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Miga, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Miga

Miga Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Bank
    Springfield Mo
    So i have been rooted for about a month now. I load different ROMS just to see whats out there. I have had anything from the early Sholes stuff to Beast to the Smoked Glass 3.1. I have noticed no matter what ROM I install now my home is pretty slow. It appears to be jumpy between screens. I have even tried Home++ on all of the ROMS but nothing seems to fix the problem.

I guess what I am getting down to, am I correct to Wipe/Factory Reset, Wipe Cache, and Restore all options but Recovery when I load a new ROM.

If so then I can forget about that causing any issues.

No matter if I run the phone at 550, 800, 950, or 1ghz the home screen slides stutters.It actually happened when i upgraded from Beast 0.7.1 to 0.7.2. I thought the new Beast could have been the problem but I have since went back to 0.7.1, To glass 3.1, Sholes, and even stock (Even thought I knew stock would stutter)

Any Ideas you pros out there?

Currently Running Smoke Glass 3.1 ( I like the blue, and the Glass Facebook)

Should also mention I only put the CPU up to 1Ghz to see if it fixed the issue. I monitor the temps from day one and its never got over 100F!

Advertisement

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Is the stuttering only with swiping? As I've thought about this a lot because I used to do a lot of graphic animation (still do some) but it seems to me there is something funky with the way they have 2 things sliding at once. Call it a visual glitch. Something not related to speed but more to a trick it plays on your eyes. I'm not nearly 100% sure this is what's happening though, I just wonder sometimes when I look at the swiping animation.

3. Miga

Miga Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Bank
    Springfield Mo
    The phone runs fine, Its only the animation when swiping the screen. It has not always been like that. Its not a HUGE deal, but when i am showing off a customer build I like it to run Uber smooth, the most when I am bragging about my OC'd to my Iphone buddies.

4. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    ps, that temp you have is celsius from what i heard. so if its getting close to 100c, that may be bad?

5. Kirch21

Kirch21 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    yea definatly clear cache/data thats all i can think of

6. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    biochemist
    RTP

Yeaa, I don't think he would be very happy with his phone if it got to 100c. He did specify farenheit.

As for the stuttering, that's normal.

7. Miga

Miga Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Bank
    Springfield Mo
    Yep I clear all of it. After a update to CPU and a reboot things are back to normal. IDK what was going on.

Also the Temps are in Fahrenheit. 100 in C would melt my phone.

8. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm running at 1.1 GHz (for a week now), and I have zero stutter. I think I smell a task killer debate coming. :eek: :D

9. jacs813

jacs813 Active Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Restaurant Owner
    Hammond, LA
    Have you tried the latest bugless beast?

10. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    How did you install all these ROMS?

Via update.zip or Nandroid?

I keep reading...but can't confirm.....that update.zips do that after a while.

11. jacs813

jacs813 Active Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Restaurant Owner
    Hammond, LA
    Nandroid for me.

12. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    biochemist
    RTP
    After using nandroid for 0.7.2 and .7.3, I broke down and used update for 0.7.4. I haven't noticed anything wrong so far...

13. Miga

Miga Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Bank
    Springfield Mo
    I have updated to 0.7.4. Works flawlessly.

I always install from backup. Although this time I did update from 7.2 to 7.4 with pete's updater and it worked perfect. I keep all my nandroid backups on my phone just in case. And i found out that i can change the name of the backup as long as there are no spaces in the name. I use - between my words. ^_^

14. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I dont think anyone mentioned this but do you have animations on in the settings?

15. athflying

athflying Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    With my G1 after a few different ROM changes, a factory wipe was needed to get rid of weird glitches. I think there are just remnants of different code that gets left behind if you don't.