1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General The music and other small issues?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hypo Luxa, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2010
    Earth
    I know people are having various issues with music, memory and stuff like that. But it occurred to me today that FroYo was developed for a single processor device and they basically just tweaked it for the dual core devices instead of a complete rewrite of the code.

I'm thinking that maybe the OS just doesn't know how to handle the dual cores efficiently. If I was them, why would I want to spend alot of time rewriting old code when I'm already developing 2 new versions. I'd just focus on making my other 2 new versions handle the processors more efficiently.

I mean really, how many dual core devices are really out there? Not very many at all, and by the time all the dual cores really start hitting the market, they are gonna be loaded with GB anyway.

I think they did enough tweaking to FroYo just to make the device usable and take advantage of SOME of the processing power without investing too much time and energy into it and obviously cut a few corners. Look at it from a MS point of view... Doesn't make sense to completely rewrite Windows XP for a couple of new types of machines when your actively working on the code for 7 that will be loaded on all the new machines with the new hardware. Rewrite the code for 7 since it is the current version and the new machines coming out soon will all be using the new hardware and will be loaded with 7 out of the box and then deploy it to your existing machines. I think they a great job with they did with FroYo for the X2 so far.

I'm just saying, Why are do many people giving up on this device before GB is even deployed to it? Sure, X1 has it, but X1 has one processor and they know how to write code for 1 processor.. they've been doing that for awhile. They are taking their time for the dual cores because the architecture is different and things are allocated differently and I'm sure they are making sure they iron out the bugs. I'm confident that most, if not everyone here is computer savvy enough to know that the OS controls all the hardware and tells it what to do within it's limitations.

Not really ranting, just throwing in my $.02. Although this post is long enough to be at least a quarter.. hehe

Advertisement

WA_Bob likes this.
  2. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    So far, I've experienced the audio issues (skips and pops) while playing MP3s and I miss Gingerbread from my DX, but otherwise my DX2 has been working great for the past 24 hours I've had it operating. ;) As someone said on another thread here, nothing's perfect. As long as it does what I want and need it to and the fact that I'm not having to buy new accessories (I can use my DX everything) and you can count me as a happy camper!

On the other hand, I thought Motorola itself has the longest experience with Froyo and dual core (by virtue of the Atrix on AT&T) so I doubt the problems being experienced are specific to neglect of it just in favor Gingerbread. I figure they're device/ OS/ Application conflicts that happen with any combination. The Atrix had to have a bunch of problems fixed via OTA software updates, as have pretty much all Android phones. I'm sure the bugs will be worked out in time (and hopefully with Gingerbread also!)

3. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2010
    Earth
    I read an article earlier that said basically GB for the Dual Processors actually is horrible on batteries. It was supposed to significantly improve battery life, but there is an issue somewhere that is quite the opposite.

If thats the case, I am VERY willing to wait it out. I would rather wait till they get the issue fixed rather than having my great battery life destroyed! I'd rather not have to recharge every 3 - 4 hours. Thats why I opted not to get the TB.. 4G supposedly has horrific battery life.

4. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    It does if you manage it wrong. That was one of the reasons my wife got the Thunderbolt I'd bought for myself at first - she is usually closer to a charger than I. (Also she has 4G coverage at work so she can get more use out of it)