• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The new KeepSafe: Restoring an old .keepsafe folder backup

pyrite123

Lurker
Oct 12, 2012
So KeepSafe updated their app recently and in the update they changed the way the app encrypts the hidden photos. If you already had photos hidden and took the update you should be fine. Some people had problems and lost everything, so I would recommend backing up your .keepsafe folder if you haven't taken the update already.

If you are like me and don't trust a single technology to protect your data then you may have already found the .keepsafe folder and made a copy of it somewhere else, to your microsd for example. Occasionally I would do this in order to factory reset my phone, flash a new ROM, upgrade my phone, etc. Either way, I still had to have backups. And right in the middle of flashing a new ROM they released this update, causing the old .keepsafe backup folder from being read by the new KeepSafe app. But after messing around for about an hour I found a solution and decided to share.

Here's how to recover an old KeepSafe folder:

1. You will need root access! (I think?)

2. You will need a file explorer app with the ability to view hidden folders.

3. Enable Unknown Sources in Security Settings

4. Open Google Play and navigate to keepsafe's download page and disable auto updates temporarily.

5. You will need to download an older version of KeepSafe.
You can download one here KeepSafe 3.10.7.apk
{Scanned with VirusTotal}

6. Install the apk, open it, then close it. Copy the backup folder to the internal SD and overwrite if it asks.

7. Open KeepSafe to make sure your files are showing up correctly.

8. (OPTIONAL) If you want to take the latest update, you should be safe to take it now. I think the update process is when it converts the encryption. If not, enjoy your current installation. Like they always say: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT! :p:p:p

Reactions: OliMic
pyrite123, post: 6635191, member: 1130028"]So KeepSafe updated their app recently and in the update they changed the way the app encrypts the hidden photos. If you already had photos hidden and took the update you should be fine. Some people had problems and lost everything, so I would recommend backing up your .keepsafe folder if you haven't taken the update already.

If you are like me and don't trust a single technology to protect your data then you may have already found the .keepsafe folder and made a copy of it somewhere else, to your microsd for example. Occasionally I would do this in order to factory reset my phone, flash a new ROM, upgrade my phone, etc. Either way, I still had to have backups. And right in the middle of flashing a new ROM they released this update, causing the old .keepsafe backup folder from being read by the new KeepSafe app. But after messing around for about an hour I found a solution and decided to share.

4. Open Google Play and navigate to keepsafe's download page and disable auto updates temporarily.

[QUOTE=" 6. Install the apk, open it, then close it. Copy the backup folder to the internal SD and overwrite if it asks.[/QUOTE]

8. (OPTIONAL) If you want to take the latest update, you should be safe to take it now. I think the update process is when it converts the encryption. If not, enjoy your current installation. Like they always say: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT! :p:p:p

Upvote 0
[QUOTE=" 6. Install the apk, open it, then close it. Copy the backup folder to the internal SD and overwrite if it asks.[/QUOTE]

Without sounding stupid. I did download it and install. I used "File Manager" to copy the files into the mail folder.. but they show up as the blue castle like icon.

What did I do wrong? =( Frustrated

Upvote 0
So KeepSafe updated their app recently and in the update they changed the way the app encrypts the hidden photos. If you already had photos hidden and took the update you should be fine. Some people had problems and lost everything, so I would recommend backing up your .keepsafe folder if you haven't taken the update already.

6. Install the apk, open it, then close it. Copy the backup folder to the internal SD and overwrite if it asks.

So i downloaded the keepsafe app onto my tablet. When it finafinally loaded my files seen that it only had 200 of the pics I had saved. I know I had way more than that originally along with some videos. Is there a way I can recover the rest of what I had?

Upvote 0
Do you want to retrieve your deleted files from KEEPSAFE but you are not in a premium access?

I'm here to save many lives.

I was nervous these past few days because I accidentally deleted the photos of my girlfriend and I from keepsafe. She would killed me.

But I found out something bright idea on how to retrieve your files without paying this so much expensive application.

Try to install the keepsafe version 4.5.11. After you installed it, you can see ALL the files you have deleted.

THANK ME LATER!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones