• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The new Keyboard is absolutely fantastic..

Swype is the ONLY good way to type on a touch only phone. Swype is the reason I don't have a hardware keyboard. None of the others come close to the speed/accuracy you can get with Swype, they just don't! So I really miss it! For now, SlideIT on the market, is a rip off of Swype that works good enough for now... still not nearly as good, but better than all the standard keyboards like swiftkey, stock, etc.

Man oh man do I miss Swype. I will say, my accuracy with this KB is way better than on previous versions of Android but I was so used to Swype, this is a tough transition.

I'm going to check out SlideIT until Swype works, thanks for the mention.

Upvote 0
Swype is the ONLY good way to type on a touch only phone. Swype is the reason I don't have a hardware keyboard. None of the others come close to the speed/accuracy you can get with Swype, they just don't! So I really miss it! For now, SlideIT on the market, is a rip off of Swype that works good enough for now... still not nearly as good, but better than all the standard keyboards like swiftkey, stock, etc.

I ditched Swype for Smart Keyboard Pro. IMO it beats the hell out of Swype.

Upvote 0
just to be clear there is a working version of swype for nexus galaxy... some guy posted it on here the other day and I got a copy from him... i'm using on my nexus and its fantastic ! !

i think its a closed beta though so it cant be distributed on here... but it is out there and perhaps you can find it through some site other than this

Upvote 0
A.I.type Keyboard is the best in prediction, customization, accuracy and everything else. If you say otherwise, it's obvious you never tried A.I.type.
No I had A.I for a while and then tried swiftkey out but still I prefer the stock ICS keyboard over any keyboard i've tried on any smartphone to date. I guess it is all personal preference, especially when were talking about finger size and agility lol, but I think this keyboard will please the average smartphone user with its ease and accuracy.

Apple is just not for me at all but there are some things that are good about the OS and simplicity is a major fault (boring as he11) but also can be an advantage. I think the new keyboard was a good move cause it definitely has that simplistic feel and ease to it that will make Android that much more adopted. I absolutely love texting on it for sure

Upvote 0
is there any way to not have that prompt come up in the notification bar? its kind of annoying that it comes up every time i type something.

Allen are you referring to the suggested words? If so go to Settings, Language & Input. Then click the config bars next to Android Keyboard. Scroll to the bottom and check the settings for Auto correction and Show correction suggestions.

Upvote 0
I have to say I am surprised by this. Not that it is great (it is), but that you thought the iPhone keyboard was the best. I personally thought it was horrible in almost every way. Then again, it is all preference, so maybe I am just weird.

Anyway, I do love this new keyboard. Only thing that annoys me is the symbol keys are not shown on the letters, so I have to remember which letter to long press for which symbol or I have to go thorough the sym button. Only complaint.

-Nkk

Upvote 0
No hes not, hes referring to input method

Stock keyboard is great, i tried SKP (standard kb for me til i used liberty rom) and it seemed toblag badly on the internet, such as these forums. For the native kb, I just wish the damn autocorrect would work on anything but text messaging. Especially because the cursor for editing has a mind of its own.

Upvote 0
Had Better Keyboard on my Incredible and loved it. Haven't had any luck finding it in the market so must not be ICS ready yet.

I'm pretty sure Better Keyboard has been removed from the marketplace for some reason, I read that a while back when I had my GS2 and couldn't find it in the marketplace. If you search for it in the web version, it wont be there, so it isn't just a ICS thing. Also Better Keyboard was the first app I ever purchased, way back on the G1. Seems lost now.

Also I am enjoying the ICS keyboard a lot, it is the second best onscreen keyboard I have used on a phone. I still think the iphone keyboard is better, but not by much. I am shocked how much I enjoy this keyboard now, my wife installed it on her GS2 and likes it so far as well too.

Upvote 0
stock keyboard is the best keyboard i've used imo. google acquired BlindType, which created an awesome keyboard that allowed you to type pretty much blind. its smart enough to auto correct almost everything and even helps you space out words if you happened to bunch them together.

this is hands down the best tap and peck keyboard i've used. i can type amazingly fast now without having to worry about typos. i was using swype for the longest and i swore by it. then i switched to slideit (found it to be faster than swype) but once i started using this new stock keyb, i'm not switching back to those.

oh btw, there is a way to get swype to work. if you backed it up previously with titanium backup, you can restore it back onto your gnex. i got mine working this way but it will give an error saying that the keyboard doesn't fit this sized screen and will remain kinda small, but still very much useable.

and for ppl that were wondering how to switch between keyboards while typing, when your keyboard pops up on screen, there is a notification icon that looks like a keyboard in the notification bar. just drag it down, tap on it, and change your keyboard.

Upvote 0
Anyone remember when Google purchased the company that made the BlindType keyboard app???

Theres a reason why the ICS keyboard rocks.
Google UNofficially implemented bits n pieces of BlindType into the new ICS keyboard.
I love the autocorrect implemented.

Below is the original BlindType video.
Google bought the company before they could make a public release of the BlindType software.

BlindType on Android - YouTube

I normally use Thumb Keyboard, or Better Keyboard,
But I just love the new Android keyboard introduced in ICS too much to use anything else.... :D

Upvote 0
I restored better keyboard 8 from backup. I prefer keyboards with accent characters so I don't have to hit the sym button.

How did you restore Better Keyboard 8 from your old phone? PLEASE let me know as I love BK8 and I have been googling to find help ever since I got the Nexus. I love BK8 and it was my first and only purchase on the Market. I came from a Droid X btw. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones