• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The next generation from Casio

Jova, we have contracts with many phone companies in the military depending on locations and needs, also with these phone companies there have always been flagship phones available. currently at my location our (work) provider offers 3 different phones to us that are compatable with our plans and programs, but this is far more options than most places get. the army is good (I would assume, not army myself) with just an I-phone as it was originaly set up on a gsm network (the global standard) it is hard to tamper with, and every one of them can be set up identical, then locked to be unchangeable. ever look through an army procedure manual? very "do this, see that, proceed" if you dont "see that" you trash your gear and do it "the old fashioned way" thats why (I presume) they do it with the iphone.... my breed of yes man can choose from one of each of the big three, apple, blackberry, android. honestly it sucks with the folk that choose the droid or apple way, although from what I hear they all choose the apple way, we only have a couple mandatory programs to satisfy our demands for a smart phone in my current location and we have big red as our most reliable provider in the area so global isn't a concern, and still, since we don't lock our gear down and strict as the army, at least 1 of the 20 or so smartphone users is down bothering our IT side of the house weekly.... could you imagine how hard it would be for the army to lock down a android to the point where a grunt couldn't mess it up? Just saying. And also in my water tight integrity post you can read about why the military would not choose the commando, or why I presume they wouldn't anyhow.

Upvote 0
if you find a book call "Pentagon Wars," it's all about inappropriate military spending. about half the million dollar pieces of equipment we use today are projects that were scrapped, renamed, and reintroduced as soon as a new administration came into office. They were scrapped because they were garbage then, and just change the name and the presentation and bam, it gets approved.

One of such programs was the land warrior system. Basically put a hard drive and a GPS on the back of every soldier on the battlefield. it has been rejected since the 80's. it's being fielded now. I could go on and on about how the military bleeds millions daily.

I mean, if the enemy can kick butt wearing man-dresses and sandals with an automatic weapon invented in 1947, then why does our military need to spend so much money on unnecessary equipment?

Reactions: NE_Phil
Upvote 0
if you find a book call "Pentagon Wars," it's all about inappropriate military spending. about half the million dollar pieces of equipment we use today are projects that were scrapped, renamed, and reintroduced as soon as a new administration came into office. They were scrapped because they were garbage then, and just change the name and the presentation and bam, it gets approved.

One of such programs was the land warrior system. Basically put a hard drive and a GPS on the back of every soldier on the battlefield. it has been rejected since the 80's. it's being fielded now. I could go on and on about how the military bleeds millions daily.

I mean, if the enemy can kick butt wearing man-dresses and sandals with an automatic weapon invented in 1947, then why does our military need to spend so much money on unnecessary equipment?
I take it you've not been out on the sharp end of the stick i.e. Served in any Military, Police or Fire Department? Try it then you'll understand projects like "Land Warrior". Why some silly projects to the civilian mind get funded. Ever had to drive two hours on a dirt road to use a local payphone in a shithole country that barely has basic water, electricity and phone infrastructure to call back to the States to get a part for your aircraft, so you can leave said country, I have. Sucks doesn't come close to covering it.

Upvote 0
I take it you've not been out on the sharp end of the stick i.e. Served in any Military, Police or Fire Department? Try it then you'll understand projects like "Land Warrior". Why some silly projects to the civilian mind get funded. Ever had to drive two hours on a dirt road to use a local payphone in a shithole country that barely has basic water, electricity and phone infrastructure to call back to the States to get a part for your aircraft, so you can leave said country, I have. Sucks doesn't come close to covering it.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt (Boots?) (not exactly what you did, but 2 deployments)

Land Warrior is still a sh**ty idea. (Reason #1. If it can't be broken, give it to a private/airman/seaman... they'll break it)

(But then again, I also think the M16 is a stupid idea (or the 249, or the M9 for that matter) (On the other hand, I think the M1014 is a fantastic idea.))

The more complexity that gets introduced, the more likely it is to break down/run into problems (remember the first rule of life: Murphy is a devious ba***rd)

Upvote 0
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt (Boots?) (not exactly what you did, but 2 deployments)

Land Warrior is still a sh**ty idea. (Reason #1. If it can't be broken, give it to a private/airman/seaman... they'll break it)

(But then again, I also think the M16 is a stupid idea (or the 249, or the M9 for that matter) (On the other hand, I think the M1014 is a fantastic idea.))

The more complexity that gets introduced, the more likely it is to break down/run into problems (remember the first rule of life: Murphy is a devious ba***rd)
I agree with you in principle, Mr. Murphy and I are on a first name basis after 26 years of herding cats, I mean Airman all over the world. Part of the problem is the current military inductee grew up on Nintendo, Play Station and XBox. Simple things are not easy for them to get the hang of. But you put a complex weapons system with a game controller with lots screens of information in front of them and they are like idiot savants with it in no time. Personally, I hated the M16/AR15/M4 and especially the M9, give me a secure radio link to a fully loaded B-52 orbiting at 30k. I grew up in the USAF with "If it isn't broke don't fix it, "If it works use it", "Simple saves time and lives" and "If it's a nail use the biggest hammer needed to get the job done." I just have a problem with people general bitching about military/government spending if they've never put on a uniform, if you don't like something vote to change it. That kid on on the sharp end wishes he had the chance to, trust me on thet. End of my soapbox.

Upvote 0
Well the military buys into these billion dollar systems that are complete garbage and wars can be fought and won without. And our benefits are on the chopping block. They've already made cuts to our gi bill. Retirement benefits are next. Now they're talking about Co-pays for our active duty medical. An e1 enlisted makes what, 1500 a month? Its just they're making all these military cuts in the wrong departments. Taking away from our veterans benefits, and putting things like the land warrior system and iPhones in the field.

Upvote 0
Uhhh...so how bout that next generation Casio Smartphone?

I think that was the topic. Although I do appreciate the information from those who have served us all by putting their lives and futures on the edge to protect our country and the rights and freedoms of all over the years. I spent a few months living on a desserted island with U.S. Navy, Air Force, and British Royal Marines...well, we had dessert at the CDF Galley every day, so...

Anyway, I gained a better appreciation of equipment/material use/reuse and the logistics to get it out there and keep it working so there is no delay in readiness.

But...anything new on this concept for Casio? I read about Caterpillar coming out with a ruggedized smart phone.

CAT B10 – Upcoming Caterpillar Smartphone | 2012 Smartphones - Smartphones in 2012

Upvote 0
Uhhh...so how bout that next generation Casio Smartphone?

I think that was the topic. Although I do appreciate the information from those who have served us all by putting their lives and futures on the edge to protect our country and the rights and freedoms of all over the years. I spent a few months living on a desserted island with U.S. Navy, Air Force, and British Royal Marines...well, we had dessert at the CDF Galley every day, so...

Anyway, I gained a better appreciation of equipment/material use/reuse and the logistics to get it out there and keep it working so there is no delay in readiness.

But...anything new on this concept for Casio? I read about Caterpillar coming out with a ruggedized smart phone.

CAT B10

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones