• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Official "I can't get my NC to root" thread

cabbie

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
I'm stuck with the same issue. I CANNOT get the Market to work. I feel like I'm yelling from the top of my lungs. I keep asking, but no one will answer. It might be that no one knows how. But, I really wish someone could help me figure this out.

Yeah, just don't know what the issue is most likely. I followed the instructions for rooting on 1.0.1 and never had an issue with it. Sometimes troubleshooting problems you've never experienced are the most difficult things to troubleshoot.

Start with more details...what versions are your running (both B&N version number and what version of Android did you install)?

Upvote 0
B&N 1.0.1
Auto-nooter 2.12.25

I'm trully baffled. I tried running this video to see if I could start completely over. Problem is, instead of restoring the phone, it loaded CWM recovery instead. Am I F'd?

First of all...if you can boot your device, you are never hosed.

Secondly...you are doing too many things without understanding what you are doing. It's your device and that's your business...but every time you do something or change something it makes it increasingly harder for someone to help you with a very specific issue.

I'm inclined to have you follow this just because I don't know what all you have changed. Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs

Start over using one guide (there are several out there...just pick one). You can simply root your device and leave it on Android 2.1, you can load "Nookie Froyo" which is Android version 2.2, or load Honeycomb which is version 3.0 (not ready for primetime yet though)...but pick one version and just use one guide.

Upvote 0
I hear you. I'm all about trying one thing and stopping there. Problem is, none of the workarounds I'm reading are helping. Yet again, I've gotten to the CWM Recovery screen by trying to do the 8times boot interruption. I just wish I could somehow remove CWM. Then, it might be able to boot on its own. I will try Method 2 in that link which essentially has ADB do the 8times for me. I have VERY high doubts that it will work. But, it's worth a shot.

Upvote 0
I hear you. I'm all about trying one thing and stopping there. Problem is, none of the workarounds I'm reading are helping. Yet again, I've gotten to the CWM Recovery screen by trying to do the 8times boot interruption. I just wish I could somehow remove CWM. Then, it might be able to boot on its own. I will try Method 2 in that link which essentially has ADB do the 8times for me. I have VERY high doubts that it will work. But, it's worth a shot.

See part of the issue is that there are only so many NC users and each of us had only tried "X" number of things.

For example: I rooted both of my NC's on B&N software version 1.0.1. I then have tried the Honeycomb preview and then reverted back. So I can only offer advice based on what I've learned from those experiences as well as other general Android experiences.

I've never heard of, or tried the "8 time boot interruption", I've never loaded CMW on these devices, etc.

I hope that there is a quick fix for you cause I know sometimes working on this kind of stuff can be a headache, but I don't know what that fix will be. Hopefully another user who has fixed this issue can chime in and you don't have to start over. But sometimes starting over is the quickest and easiest way to fix somethings.

Upvote 0
Reactions: bgrutter
Upvote 0
Why isn't market working? We need more details about what you've done and whats happening. Like, do you have market in /system/app, are you clicking on it and it automatically closing, etc. We still don't know what version if any of nookie that bgrutter is using. If he used the one I linked to he should have market.

If you want to delete CWM, use thecubed's monster rootpack. [RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers

I'm often on IRC in #nookcolor and/or #androidforums on freenode Web IRC (qwebirc) if you need some live assistance.

A friend of mine was stuck in CWM and using the rootpack to flash CW-removal.zip.

You will be able to start over, theres no way to brick the NC with software.

I've never heard of, or tried the "8 time boot interruption", I've never loaded CMW on these devices, etc.

If the NC experiences 8 failed boots (you can do this by powering it on and powering it off immediately) it will initiate flashing its factory.zip that returns it to stock. Flashing CWM replaces this partition (mmcblk0p3) so it won't work unless you take CWM off and get the stock partition back.

Please utilize IRC for quicker help and you need to be conscious of the steps you are taking and be thorough in explaining whats going on for any useful help.

Upvote 0
Cabbie - I will have try to catch on your IRC tonight.

As for the fix, it's not much of a fix. I tried to download about 6 or 7 apps from the app store and only 1 actually did. The only thing that appears to have changed is that the notification that it didn't work doesn't show up now.

I'm so new to Android that I don't know all the terms yet. If this was a Windows or website problem, I'd say someone wrote the code wrong and "hid" the problem instead of "resolving" it. (Not hidden on purpose...but by accident.)

The only reason I figured out the apps didn't download was because I went in the part of the app store to check on my downloads because they weren't showing up on the app screen of the NC. When I tried to download them again, they failed. Since it was late and I had to get up this morning for work I left it at that.

I like the idea of being able to switch back and forth between the NC and an Android tablet. This way, when I show my mom the NC, she can see how easy it is to use. If I were to show her an Android table, she would feel it's just another thing she'll never figure out how to use. I don't want her to feel that way. (She's 69) My dad will think it's cool I found a work around.

Upvote 0
Oh man - now I'm really confused! I'm seriously thinking of returning my NC and either getting an Archos 70 (which I must admit was recommended to me, but I ignored the advice) or just forgetting the whole tablet thing all together! I got the NC thinking that I could root it because everyone on the forums said it was easy. But after getting the NC, seeing how it works from stock - which I must say, I HATE - and then reading through this thread, I'm more confused about rooting then ever before.

I have an Incredible, and I love the Android OS, but I guess I just don't know enough about the way these things work to feel comfortable about rooting.

Upvote 0
Oh man - now I'm really confused! I'm seriously thinking of returning my NC and either getting an Archos 70 (which I must admit was recommended to me, but I ignored the advice) or just forgetting the whole tablet thing all together! I got the NC thinking that I could root it because everyone on the forums said it was easy. But after getting the NC, seeing how it works from stock - which I must say, I HATE - and then reading through this thread, I'm more confused about rooting then ever before.

I have an Incredible, and I love the Android OS, but I guess I just don't know enough about the way these things work to feel comfortable about rooting.

As the thread states you do not have to root to run android 2.2. Buy a 2GB micro sd card. After that download the file in the linked thread on the first page. Use a card adapter if your computer doesnt have a micro sd slot. Download a program to burn the file to your sd card i think winimage will work. Have your nook powered down insert the sd card then plug your nook into the computer. There are some other steps also just read the linked post on the first page. You might want to have a more experinced forum member help you as i do not even own a NC yet.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
As the thread states you do not have to root to run android 2.2. Buy a 2GB micro sd card. After that download the file in the linked thread on the first page. Use a card adapter if your computer doesnt have a micro sd slot. Download a program to burn the file to your sd card i think winimage will work. Have your nook powered down insert the sd card then plug your nook into the computer. There are some other steps also just read the linked post on the first page. You might want to have a more experinced forum member help you as i do not even own a NC yet.

Merlin, I think you are the only one that is willing to talk to me today! While I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, even your response doesn't make sense to me - "download a program to burn the file to the sd card" - what? I mean I know what an sd card is (have I nice class 6 8 gb all shiny and new, waiting to be used), but other than slipping it into my phone or computer to store things on, I don't understand the reference to downloading a program to burn a file. I suppose that just proves my technological ignorance, but it is what it is.

As I said before, if I actually had someone that could hold my hand through the process I could probably do it. But reading about the problems from people that at least sound like they know what they are talking about does not do much to give me confidence. Again, thank you for trying to help.

Upvote 0
Merlin, I think you are the only one that is willing to talk to me today! While I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, even your response doesn't make sense to me - "download a program to burn the file to the sd card" - what? I mean I know what an sd card is (have I nice class 6 8 gb all shiny and new, waiting to be used), but other than slipping it into my phone or computer to store things on, I don't understand the reference to downloading a program to burn a file. I suppose that just proves my technological ignorance, but it is what it is.

As I said before, if I actually had someone that could hold my hand through the process I could probably do it. But reading about the problems from people that at least sound like they know what they are talking about does not do much to give me confidence. Again, thank you for trying to help.

PM sent.

It should get you started. What I sent you tells you what Merlin meant about burning the image onto your SD card.

Upvote 0
Harley, after all of my frustration, I think I can be of simple assistance. I will try and clear it up in a second on my next post.

For now, thanks to everyone that helped. In the end, I believe my demise was simply Flashing CWM before I had actually rooted. That, I would not suggest, emphatically. Anyway, in this thread I summed up my experience, along with the fix.

I am happy to announce that all is well. I was able to get everything back to the way it was when I purchased the NC. In about 5-10 minutes, I had it rooted with full Market access. Shoulda been that easy the first time.

Upvote 0

I would think that this would actually cause some confusion. The method you're describing is actually the method to root your NC with auto-nooter (you mentioned plugging the NC into the computer). This thread is supposed to be dedicated to discussing ways of getting Android 2.2 without rooting. I know my discussion in here also strayed and I appologize for that. My frustration initiated with the Non-Root method and grew from there to encompass the rooting process. Anyway, I'll try and clear up some of the confusion in this topic.

Since many of the people in the thread are likely new to rooting and all other methods of "modifying" Android devices, I will explain some of the key issues.

Image file (.img) - Imagine you took a CD and took a picture of what was on that CD. This is not just a copy of each individual file, it specifically addresses the way in which the files are sequenced. So, if you have an image file that you want to put on a CD, DVD, SDcard, etc..., you can't simply copy/paste. You must use a program that knows how to transfer the files in the order necessary and arrange them correctly. This is a very simplified explanation, but I think it should suffice.

win32diskimager - this is a very simple program that transfers a .img to an SDcard.

Essentially, to run Android 2.2 on your NC without rooting, this what you need to do:
  1. Download the Android 2.2 file (Link)
  2. Use win32diskimager to transfer the file to the sdcard
  3. Turn off your NC
  4. Insert the SDcard
  5. Turn on the NC
  6. Done.

To root, you need to follow this thread: Root Guide for B&N NOOKcolor which leads eventually to this guide. The NookDevs is a great source for all your NC rooting questions.

Good luck ;)

Upvote 0
HarleyGirl - I'm sorry you're so frustrated and I hope XMR's PM was helpful to you.

The microSD option is called imaging. As in taking an image of an operating system, Android in this case, and copying the image to another source that is acting like a hard drive, the microSD card. Imaging is similar to taking a digital picture of something and copying it from your computer to a website. It's the same picture on your computer and the website where you posted it.

The problem with the app store access is a coding issue. The best thing to do is just to root your NC without trying the SD card method as it's simply not stable at this point. It's not even a beta (trial) version yet.

I hope this helps you some.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I see things have been a little frustrating for some of you and I have been all work and no play today :(

This is just my opinion...but I feel like this post is NOT easier than simply rooting your NOOKcolor and running the Android version 2.1 that currently ships with the tablet.

The NC is a device that runs Android 2.1 but much of the functionality has been limited (on purpose) by Barnes & Noble. Rooting the NC simply removes the limitations and lets you enjoy a more "tablet" like device.

If you are new to the NC, new to Android, new to rooting...then I recommend you start at one of these two guides and follow them all the way through. The first link is more comprehensive but the second guide has a video walkthrough ;)

http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/245436-go-wiki-page-rooting-nookcolor.html

http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/273478-how-root-nookcolor-autonooter.html

All the SD Card and disk image talk looks to be causing more confusion. It's not hard to root a NC but follow the directions carefully. You device is VERY hard to ruin but doing things out of order and not following directions can make it hard and time consuming to recover from.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I see things have been a little frustrating for some of you and I have been all work and no play today :(

This is just my opinion...but I feel like this post is NOT easier than simply rooting your NOOKcolor and running the Android version 2.1 that currently ships with the tablet.

The NC is a device that runs Android 2.1 but much of the functionality has been limited (on purpose) by Barnes & Noble. Rooting the NC simply removes the limitations and lets you enjoy a more "tablet" like device.

If you are new to the NC, new to Android, new to rooting...then I recommend you start at one of these two guides and follow them all the way through. The first link is more comprehensive but the second guide has a video walkthrough ;)

http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/245436-go-wiki-page-rooting-nookcolor.html

http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/273478-how-root-nookcolor-autonooter.html

All the SD Card and disk image talk looks to be causing more confusion. It's not hard to root a NC but follow the directions carefully. You device is VERY hard to ruin but doing things out of order and not following directions can make it hard and time consuming to recover from.

Plus one on these guides UB linked. I remember you wanting to watch flash videos over the net so you're gonna need 2.2 (froyo) for that. If you don't care about flash anymore, then autonooter is the next best thing.

Also, what bgrutter posted is similar to what I sent you. It's a great explanation to what WIndisk does.

Upvote 0
Look at all you wonderful people trying to help me! I'm sorry I'm such a techno - dunce. I read over the instructions for Autonooter last night, and I think I'm going to try it tonight if I can work up the nerve. I do have one question about it though: In the beginning, there is a list of MUSTS. It says not only do I need to have a gmail account that is linked to a youtube account, but then it says something about having that same gmail account be the email account to which my NC is registered or that it would be better if you had the gmail account registered (sorry, don't have it in front of me right now). Is this a MUST, or just a "good idea"? Is there going to be a problem if my NC is registered with my regular email account and not gmail?

Also, I have updated my NC to version 1.1.0, but the autonooter instructions tell you to download the autonooter file for your software version, and they only list 1.0.1 and 1.1.1. Is this just a typo, or am I missing something? Which file do I use?

Also, do I need to backup anything before I root? I seem to remember that people were always talking about doing a backup before they rooted their phones. Is it the same for the NC?

If I don't know the answers to these already, am I too stupid to root? I see to recall some very rude people on other forum pages implying that if a person couldn't root a phone then they shouldn't even own a smartphone. Hmmmm....., then again, maybe they were just being a-holes......

Upvote 0
Look at all you wonderful people trying to help me! I'm sorry I'm such a techno - dunce. I read over the instructions for Autonooter last night, and I think I'm going to try it tonight if I can work up the nerve. I do have one question about it though: In the beginning, there is a list of MUSTS. It says not only do I need to have a gmail account that is linked to a youtube account, but then it says something about having that same gmail account be the email account to which my NC is registered or that it would be better if you had the gmail account registered (sorry, don't have it in front of me right now). Is this a MUST, or just a "good idea"? Is there going to be a problem if my NC is registered with my regular email account and not gmail?

Also, I have updated my NC to version 1.1.0, but the autonooter instructions tell you to download the autonooter file for your software version, and they only list 1.0.1 and 1.1.1. Is this just a typo, or am I missing something? Which file do I use?

Also, do I need to backup anything before I root? I seem to remember that people were always talking about doing a backup before they rooted their phones. Is it the same for the NC?

If I don't know the answers to these already, am I too stupid to root? I see to recall some very rude people on other forum pages implying that if a person couldn't root a phone then they shouldn't even own a smartphone. Hmmmm....., then again, maybe they were just being a-holes......

I can tell you what I did. If you want a step-by-step instruction on how to put the autnooter onto an SD card, go follow the youtube instructions by huskermania. I linked it in my thread titled: "buying nook color, will root soon!". This was a mUST for me because i could actually SEE what he was doing.

I suggest you follow his guide all the way up to inserting the card into your Nook and plugging the nook into the USB port of your PC. You will automatically see your nook come to life with the android logo (IF you already upgraded your fimware to 1.1.0). Once you do, follow the "follow-up guide" that is linked in the wikipage as best as you can.

unplug from computer, remove SD, you should be good to go.

edit: if you don't have a gmail account, go get one. now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones