• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The official "I have my Droid 2" thread

Trident

Android Expert
Jan 20, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
Pretty soon, a lot of people will want to post separate threads saying that they have their device. I am starting this single thread that you can all use to boast and brag all you want.

Any threads outside of this being of the topic will simply be deleted, closed, or merged to avoid clutter within the forum - so please use this thread.

:)

So i'll start off by saying I work at a local verizon authorized retailer and we just got our shipment for droid 2's today. Me being the techie person I am decided to check it out see what I think of it.I will be comparing it to the moto droid mostly because it is the direct succesor.

First thing you notice about the phone is the look, it has a dark chrome bezel around it, which gives the phone a nice elegant look to it.(personally not a fan) Next you realize Moto decided to change the color of the phone from black to a dark navy blue. As i started to handle the phone I noticed it was made of a different material than that of the droid 2 and feels more plastic. The buttons used are also plastic (power, volume rockers, camera key)

The capacitive buttons on the phone are laid out differently using the order menu,home,back,search. When you start to use the phone, it has the same interface as the Moto Droid X. It also comes with Flash 10.1 pre installed onto the phone as well as swype. The phone is noticeably faster than a stock droid, and when stacked up against my droid at 1.25ghz its just as fast after boot, and when you start running more apps the 512mb of ram really helps. the phone comes with 8gb built in memory, 8gb memory card preinstalled, and can support up to 32gb SDcard allowing for 40GB of total storage.

The biggest feature of the phone is the keyboard. its much more spaced out and no more pad to the right of the phone. My droid has one of the bubble keyboards and I loved that, the new keyboard on the droid2 is leagues above that and makes me almost want to trade in my droid for it.

It comes preinstalled with DLNA support, kindle, NFS shift, Quickoffice,skype, blockbuster, and 3g mobile hotspot. The only ones that are removable through manage applications is Flash 10.1 and NFS shift. It still has the my accounts "feature" from the droid X thats apart of ninja blur, while it does make keeping your accounts neat, it can be annoying when it comes to actually accesing the information. It comes stock with 7 home screens, and scalable widgets.

The internet on this phone is really fast, over Wifi it destroys my droid on the same wifi network, not sure if this is due to more ram or what but it was impressing how fast it was.

This was my first review of a phone so sorry if I missed anything. if you have any questions about the phone jsut post here I will do my best to get around to answering them

EDIT: the camera is the same 5mp camera, DVD quality video recording, nothing special there. BUT it does support tap to foucs so you can adjust where the focus point is, something I wish my droid 1 had

Edit 2: the battery is the same in the droid 2 as the moto Droid model BP6x

Edit 3: the home dock works the car dock does not. Uses same battery and charging port so those are fine, cases also do not fit properly, all of this is due to the lip at the bottom of the phone.

Reactions: Saqalicious
Upvote 0
whats the new motoblur like..this is one the reasons i might not want this phone as i dont usually like the motoblur or sense add ons to the os

Its not too bad, Im a fan of stock android fan my self but some of the things about ninja blur I like are the widgets it offers the social networking widgets are nice, and the contacts widget is nice. Its not as annoying as sense UI as you can disable almost all of the Blur features and ignore most of it.

my biggest compalint about it hough is how after changing screens it has a little bar at the bottom to select homescreens, this bar stays for like 1.5 seconds so you cant open the main menu right after switching screens

Upvote 0
I returned the X because it was just too big. If I was at home it was not a problem because I could just lay it down next to where I was. At work, I am a P.E. teacher, I needed something that could fit in my pocket normally. I really liked the X but the size killed it for me. In the case size matters...:eek:

I will snatch up the 2 tomorrow. Thought for a second about the fascinate but who knows how that phone will work out. It hasn't been released yet and I think it may be like the N1 and never get released to VZW.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the first impressions. Get LauncherPro Plus and ditch motoblur. LPP allows you to run all the motoblur widgets and streamline the system. Works beautifully on the DX.

I'm on the fence right now whether to jump at the D2 or stick with the DX. Can't loose either way.

if it were my phone id definately thrower launcher pro on there since its the stores phone I cant :(

Upvote 0
I returned the X because it was just too big. If I was at home it was not a problem because I could just lay it down next to where I was. At work, I am a P.E. teacher, I needed something that could fit in my pocket normally. I really liked the X but the size killed it for me. In the case size matters...:eek:

I will snatch up the 2 tomorrow. Thought for a second about the fascinate but who knows how that phone will work out. It hasn't been released yet and I think it may be like the N1 and never get released to VZW.

How odd. The people I've talked to who have both say the DX fits easier in the pocket because it's so much thinner.

Upvote 0
How odd. The people I've talked to who have both say the DX fits easier in the pocket because it's so much thinner.

From a "geometrical" standpoint, that would seem self-defeating ;)

Droid fits better in a pocket, unless it is a wide pocket, for which the design of the X would help out. Neither is a good option for a shirt pocket ;)

Upvote 0
Wait, isn't the Droid 2 now the new flagship? How can it not have 720p video and HDMI????
Not really the flagship as much as a parallel offering to the Droid X and Incredible, more three different options than three different 'levels'. I personally like that, not having one obvious flagship that might require numerous compromises but rather multiple options where you can decide which is the best fit for you.

Reactions: DROIDing
Upvote 0
Just picked up two of them this morning. Very solid device so far. Quadrant tests have it running at just a tad faster than the Nexus One.

Keys on the keyboard feel a little "tight". Like they need a little extra pressure.

Got the desktop dock which is pretty good. Comes with a much longer power adapter than the phone itself.

Finally, they gave us some free stuff with the phones. A "Droid Does" bracelet. Like the livestrong style. And a little book that has a bunch of different post its on the inside.

One other thing I liked was the fact that it auto downloaded everything I had ever downloaded from the Market to the device for me. It even knew my WiFi network password (a little creepy). I am guessing Google Sync did it and it just never worked right on other devices as this was the first time it ever did this for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones