• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The OFFICIAL US LG G3 Thread!!!

I was at the Sprint store yesterday and was lucky enough to run into the LG rep who was there showing off the new G3. I was actually there because I had purchased a Sammy S5 and was not super happy with the earpiece call quality or the camera with indoor pictures. Oh and Im still in my grace period with the S5 so great timing.

Anyway, I got to put my S5 toe to toe with the G3. I was kinda surprised at the results.

The S5 screen was much brighter and had richer colors. even when the lg rep turned up the brightness all the way on the G3. Humm. Was underwhelmed by all the big talk about this new qhd.

Speed: Very similar. Not any real difference there even with Touchwiz on the Sammy being a bit of a hog.

Pictures. Again, the S5 proved the winner. Much sharper with shutters speeds about the same. Lazer focus is fast on the LG but about the same as the S5. However, the G3 wins the indoor photo war with less blur and brighter photos.

Smoothness: Really again about the same. facebook scrolling showed the same lag using the facebook app. on both phones. Actually, my daughters lg-g2 is better in this department.

Off angel and sunlight viewing. Don't hate the messenger, but the S5 wins again. Much easier to view on both fronts.

Call quality: Hands down in my opinion the G3 is the winner. Much clearer sounding earpiece with more volume. Speakerphone is about even with a touch more volume on the G3.

Well, that's all I had time for. The rep was a bit surprised I think by how well the S5 did. However, there are also other very cool features of the G3 I did not get to try.

It really comes down to what is most important to you. Each phone has it's strengths. Im still on the fence. :)

Upvote 0
Well, I went to ATT this morning but I didnt get the LG. I got the Sammy S5 because like some posters had said, the screen was way to dark for me.

When I first saw it I thought, oh crap! but then I found that the *auto* mode for the screen was activated even though the slider was at 100%.

Then I unselected it and it did go somewhat brighter but it was still a no-go for me...it really was kinda dull. Now I'm wondering if LG has some that are more brighter then other units???

My two yr old original NOTEs screen was brighter and its got a huge screen..beware my friends.

Upvote 0
I stopped into the T-Mobile store today. They WILL have plenty in stock next Wednesday. In fact, they have them NOW in inventory, but cannot sell till 7/16. Ugh! I would have strangled the rep if he wasn't so nice! My Jump date is tomorrow, too...

For the record also, a dimmer screen doesn't faze me in the slightest. I don't need a super bright screen. My name isn't Mr. Magoo, for crying out loud! My last few phones sat at 70% brightness, anyway. Well, for the iPhone, it kind of had to be at 60-70%. The battery drained like crazy, as it was.

Upvote 0
I'm on hour four using my new LG G3.

This is one very nice smartphone. Smooth, fast, it's UI is more minimal in its design than my old G2. Although I don't plan to stick with it, for the new user and those who prefer not to customize their phones, this UI is quite nice.

Obviously it's far too soon to report on the battery, however I can say my initial sense is it's no worse, and quite likely better than an S5 or M8, both of which I've had since release day.

The size is extremely compact, especially considering it includes a 5.5" display. Barely larger than my relatively small Nexus 5, I didn't expect this phone to feel so small in hand.

I'm happy to report I have none of the previously reported shortcomings except one.

I greatly prefer desktop versions of websites and spend lots of time working on the net. This new display is wonderful when the fonts get small. Yet the one most disappointing aspect of this phone is the relatively low brightness level. I typically set my other phones to around 75% which delivers an ideal level of illumination. The G3 requires 90% to produce a similar level of illumination.

If there's one thing I've learned as I rapidly approach ownership of thirty different Android Smartphones, is that there is no perfect phone. They're all a compromise in one way or another.

The LG G3 is simply fantastic in every other way, for my heavy usage this is far and away the best phone of the current flagship Androids. I know I've owned and evaluated them all. To have to return the G3 because display illumination is low, would be one of the hardest smartphone decisions I've made.

Only time will tell. :)

Upvote 0
Doh...just my luck. So, I think everything is set, I start heading out to the Best Buy near my work and my car goes into "limp" mode and check engine light comes on. Turn around, go swap to my co-workers car at work. Get to the Best Buy and apparently, their phones, cash registers, computers, everything is down, which meant I couldn't even pick up my order, which was supposedly ready to pick up. So, no LG G3 in my hands yet...but I'll have it tonight, as I just called and verified that their systems are back up.

Upvote 0
If there's one thing I've learned as I rapidly approach ownership of thirty different Android Smartphones, is that there is no perfect phone. They're all a compromise in one way or another.

I've had about ten smartphones since 2011: the Optimus V, Motorola Triumph, LG Evo 4G, iPhone 4, HTC Evo 4G LTE, Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One (M7), Nexus 5, Samsung Note 3 and iPhone 5s (Okay. Eleven. Unless I'm forgetting one). Some of the classics (and not so classic). I couldn't agree more. None of those were "perfect". ALL had some niggling annoyance. In the case of the iPhone 5s, everything was a niggling annoyance. So some users that are upset because the phone isn't 100% perfect, well, no phone will be. I think some people had some unrealistic expectations with this one.

Upvote 0
My impression of the brightness has now changed, and quite frankly I'm laughing at myself as I realized just how easy it is to obsess over something. I spent an additional three hours with my G3 customizing it to my liking. Two thoughts jumped out at me.

First I overacted to the illumination level, once I got busy doing other things with it, I realized just how much of a non issue it was. Not only was the approx 15% difference no big deal but when focused on just the G3 instead of the side by side comparison with my Nexus 5, I began to appreciate that there are indeed advantages to that ultra high resolution.

Second, I came to appreciate that the battery life after seven non stop hours of setup, downloading apps, files to include pictures and videos, was indeed very good. With 54% remaining I was very satisfied.

With too many to mention little features nuances and a plethora of preferences not featured on other recent flagship Android's I must say I'm happy and confident to endorse this phone without hesitation.

Anyone with questions, please post them here in this thread and I'll make every effort to provide timely answers.

Cheers :)

Upvote 0
Anyone with questions, please post them here in this thread and I'll make every effort to provide timely answers.

Cheers :)

One question: how is the sound on this phone? I'm referring mainly to the loudness factor. I recall the early Nexus 5s had issues with the speakers being too quiet. I know mine did. I couldn't hear it from my bag even with the speakers cranked all the way up! Since both are LG phones, I'm wondering how they compare.

Upvote 0
One question: how is the sound on this phone? I'm referring mainly to the loudness factor. I recall the early Nexus 5s had issues with the speakers being too quiet. I know mine did. I couldn't hear it from my bag even with the speakers cranked all the way up! Since both are LG phones, I'm wondering how they compare.

The sound is quite loud/clear/undistorted.Loud & clear enough for speakerphone calls,no problem.

Also,the speaker placement is an improvement on the G2,as holding in the horizontal does not obstruct the speaker.

This is as good as any rear-mounted speaker I've come across,if not the best.
Of course,there's no comparison to the M7-M8 dual front-firing speakers.

HTC has the entire field beat,hands-down.

Reactions: pandacookie
Upvote 0
Excellent question! I must say that's one of the big improvements, as compared to both my Nexus 5 and S2, I carry the phone on my pocket yet often in the airport or other noisy environments I've missed hearing it ring. No such problem with the G3, plus speaker quality is improved.

Another great improvement that comes to mind is build quality and the shape of the phone. It's very nice to hold securely and feels smaller than the spacious large display would have one expect.

Reactions: pandacookie
Upvote 0
If it's as bright as the G2, that's fine for me. There's only a few times in intense direct sunlight where full brightness isn't enough, but that's asking a lot (cough, Android Wear, cough). I generally keep mine at 50-70% and it's good enough.

It's just fine compared to my G2, in fact it's a bit brighter by about 15% to 20% to be conservative. After using it for several hours, I must say I'm actually very happy with it.

As far as resolution, it's terrific. In particular I greatly prefer desktop versions of web sites instead of their mobile counterparts. This new display makes reading the smallest of fonts possible, it's clarity being outstanding.

Upvote 0
Lol. Be patient. especially if your getting the 32g with the 3g of ram. Well worth the extra few days. it will be screaming fast even with the QHD on max brightness and several apps open. No Lag. Wish my S5 had that available.

Easy for you to say! :) Damn T-Mobile! They would launch four days after my Jump.

Even better news, though: my Jump trade in is worth $350. I owe $253. That's a $97 credit, according to the website! I can use it toward my next bill, or merchandise at point of sale. Hmmm! That's an unexpected surprise! :)

Upvote 0
That's fantastic on the trade in news. I'm shackled to Sprints 2 year contract again. Ugh. My fault.

They used to have a "kinda sorta like Jump" program when I was on Sprint, which they sadly ended in favor of that silly "Framily" program. The old program was nowhere near as cool as Jump, but it still gave the option to upgrade early (I think it was nine-eleven months instead of six.). They also still have spotty service on the CDMA network. I definitely don't miss that. :) And I no longer need an Airrave in my apartment. Another plus.

But T-Mobile isn't perfect, either. For instance, on stretches of tree lined road (we're talking covered in trees), the signal goes nuts. But I'm not sure if that was a problem with the service or the nano SIM my 5S was using. My Note 3 wasn't that quirky; it uses a micro SIM. That's the only problem I've run into, though. I'm happy otherwise.

Upvote 0
They used to have a "kinda sorta like Jump" program when I was on Sprint, which they sadly ended in favor of that silly "Framily" program. The old program was nowhere near as cool as Jump, but it still gave the option to upgrade early (I think it was nine-eleven months instead of six.). They also still have spotty service on the CDMA network. I definitely don't miss that. :) And I no longer need an Airrave in my apartment. Another plus.

But T-Mobile isn't perfect, either. For instance, on stretches of tree lined road (we're talking covered in trees), the signal goes nuts. But I'm not sure if that was a problem with the service or the nano SIM my 5S was using. My Note 3 wasn't that quirky; it uses a micro SIM. That's the only problem I've run into, though. I'm happy otherwise.

Sprint's version of Jump was whack compared to the original Silver Premier upgrades that allowed upgrade eligibility every year. I miss that.

Upvote 0
Sprint's version of Jump was whack compared to the original Silver Premier upgrades that allowed upgrade eligibility every year. I miss that.

My son tried their version of Jump. It was lame compared to the real Jump. Don't know why they didn't just do it either the same way or better. Hey, if you're gonna rip off an idea, why not go all the way? Why put limits on it? Trading in after almost a year? Sure, it's better than two years, but not as awesome as six months!

And I just remembered the name of the program. One Up. Haaaa. I see what they did, there. "One upping the competition." One Up. If only it were so.

Upvote 0
My son tried their version of Jump. It was lame compared to the real Jump. Don't know why they didn't just do it either the same way or better. Hey, if you're gonna rip off an idea, why not go all the way? Why put limits on it? Trading in after almost a year? Sure, it's better than two years, but not as awesome as six months!

And I just remembered the name of the program. One Up. Haaaa. I see what they did, there. "One upping the competition." One Up. If only it were so.

Yeah one up sucked. What they had before was way better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones