• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "OMG I just ['got updated' OR 'updated'] to Cupcake" Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Because you want it to be? The subject of this thread is "The "OMG I just got updated to Cupcake" Thread..." in the "Updates and Cupcakes" forum.

There's nothing there specifying OTA. Rooting to get the Cupcake update is still a way to get the Cupcake Update.

If you want an OTA update *only* thread then start one instead of pointlessly flaming people here.

Don't be an idiot dude, the title of this thread fits correctly.. I Just GOT UPDATED - not.. I just DID the update. Got updated means the device was updated by another means other than yourself. In keeping with the subject of this thread, I have not received the update but I couldnt wait so yes I "rooted" my G1 and installed the latest JF build thats in the guy's signature above this post.

The OTA update may still be a ways away.

Upvote 0
Alright guys, for what it's worth.. I just got off the phone with T-MO support because when I upgraded to JesusFreak's 1.5 I lost myfavs icon so I called and told them I jailbroke my phone and lost the icon and asked her to resend it.. she tried, it didnt work. She then said she had already received cupcake and that I should wait and I will get it. I said "oh you have a developer phone" she said No, I have a retail phone and 5 of us in the office have already got it. She said it is being pushed out based on IMEI or SIM number. She then transfered me to level 2 tech support for smartphones and that lady said she jailbroke her phone too and that the retail cupcake is being deployed now. Well.. she didnt do it herself, but someone in their cubicle did hers for her because she was excited about cupcake.

Very nice lady, but they both said cupcake is currently being deployed to "Retail" phones!

I'm in the U.S. incase anyone is wondering.

Edit- To clarify my post, the 2nd tech lady had her phone jailbroken because she didnt want to wait for cupcake. (Probably because others in her office already had it) The first lady said she had received it via OTA

Upvote 0
I think this thread was made too early... we don't even know when the OTA updates are going out, all we know its SOMETIME in may...

To be honest...my intention WAS at first for it to be JUST an official OTA update thread...

After all..T-Mobile's Twitter announcement didn't make it very clear that the OTA update was just for ADP phones....

Now..the thread's become the "I can't be bothered to wait for T-Mobile so I'm just gonna root my phone and get the cupcake update myself. Screw T-Mobile and screw Google" thread....

Although, Mr. Phases has sorted all that out now so it suits both the patient and impatient...so thank you Mr. Phases...

I missed the pre-edit, but I have a feeling that this link is pretty useful, right about...meow.

LOL at the first image!

Upvote 0
Alright guys, for what it's worth.. I just got off the phone with T-MO support because when I upgraded to JesusFreak's 1.5 I lost myfavs icon so I called and told them I jailbroke my phone and lost the icon and asked her to resend it.. she tried, it didnt work. She then said she had already received cupcake and that I should wait and I will get it. I said "oh you have a developer phone" she said No, I have a retail phone and 5 of us in the office have already got it. She said it is being pushed out based on IMEI or SIM number. She then transfered me to level 2 tech support for smartphones and that lady said she jailbroke her phone too and that the retail cupcake is being deployed now. Well.. she didnt do it herself, but someone in their cubicle did hers for her because she was excited about cupcake.

Very nice lady, but they both said cupcake is currently being deployed to "Retail" phones!

I'm in the U.S. incase anyone is wondering.

Edit- To clarify my post, the 2nd tech lady had her phone jailbroken because she didnt want to wait for cupcake. (Probably because others in her office already had it) The first lady said she had received it via OTA

Guys, I have been following this post since engadget posted the story last week with mostly disappointment. My sister works at a call center for TMO but is typically out of the loop, I am always telling her what is coming before she knows. But Cubesteak has accurate info. My sister said her team got a newsflash via internal email today talking about the roll out of android 1.5. She did not know that this was the same as cupcake so didnt think about it until I mentioned it.

So lets hope and pray and maybe this thread will turn around to an "I got the OTA cupcake update"

Upvote 0
Guys, I have been following this post since engadget posted the story last week with mostly disappointment. My sister works at a call center for TMO but is typically out of the loop, I am always telling her what is coming before she knows. But Cubesteak has accurate info. My sister said her team got a newsflash via internal email today talking about the roll out of android 1.5. She did not know that this was the same as cupcake so didnt think about it until I mentioned it.

So lets hope and pray and maybe this thread will turn around to an "I got the OTA cupcake update"

Well I just talked to "Evelyn" in T-Mobile G1/Smartphone support. She stated that they haven't received any information about the update yet. She said they generally get info about updates a week in advance so that they are well prepared when people call with issues/questions about an update (or changes to their phone in general). This makes sense from a support point of view, however it would make me unhappy to know that we're at least still a week away from updates starting to roll out. :(

Upvote 0
My coworker got the cupcake OTA update last week. I'm in California/Bay Area. Mine is still not updated yet. The only difference between our phones is that his is a phone given to google employees (special edition...not sure if this is what folks refer to as a dev phone). Mine is the normal one you get at a normal cell phone shop.

Just thought you guys would like to know that it is definitely out and some people did get it.

Upvote 0
I've got a friend who works for google too. They all got dream/dev phones for christmas from the google. And they all got OTA updates to Cupcake last week.

His excited babblings about how yummy his cupcake is are what got me all excited and made me go root my phone, then post to this thread about it in my excitement. And then much madness and hilarity ensued. So, following that path of (il)logic, i blame google for making me post (semi)offtopic.

yeah, that's it. the google made me do it.

so, since we're kind of mingling the topics now (sorry, thanks) i'm left with this question (and I mean it as an honest question, not as a cheap snark): why not root your phone to get an HTC ADP build of Cupcake?

I really can't understand why anyone who can follow a simple set of instructions and has an hour or two to spare would want to sit around wishing they had Cupcake when they can just go get it. Those of you who really don't want to hear about rooting but would rather speculate about when the OTA will hit, help me understand why cuz I really don't get it. *dons flameproof suit and hopes for some thoughtful replies instead of internet tough guy rants*

I'd be very surprised if the OTA starts hitting non-dev, non-root, regular ol' end-user retail G1s before the end of May. Theory: they put it on employee and dev phones for awhile so they can collect bug reports before deciding whether or not to release it into the wild. It takes awhile to collect bug reports. And if they find any bugs severe enough that they're not comfortable rolling out to the public then it will take awhile to fix those bugs, test the new build, fix any regressions, retest another build and prep it for the OTA. The SDK just got published, what, two weeks go, maybe three?

Upvote 0
A quick question, if i do root my phone, will it disrupt the OTA update?..i know rooting will wipe out my messages and such, but will i be able to get the OTA or since my OS thinks i have the 1.5 cupcake it won't send me a notification. Maybe you wont know the answer since only 1 person got the OTA, but can anyone answer or explain to me. Greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
A quick question, if i do root my phone, will it disrupt the OTA update?..i know rooting will wipe out my messages and such, but will i be able to get the OTA or since my OS thinks i have the 1.5 cupcake it won't send me a notification. Maybe you wont know the answer since only 1 person got the OTA, but can anyone answer or explain to me. Greatly appreciate it.

Great question!
I asked a similar question on previous page and so far heard nothing...

[sarcasm] I guess the folks here are too busy flaming each other for what to post or not to post in this thread to actually answer a real question that in fact concerns an OTA update (and incidentally rooting too). [/sarcasm]

(climbing under a table to dodge flames from both sides of the named argument)
LEM.

Upvote 0
so, since we're kind of mingling the topics now (sorry, thanks) i'm left with this question (and I mean it as an honest question, not as a cheap snark): why not root your phone to get an HTC ADP build of Cupcake?

honestly. . .the only reason i haven't rooted my phone already is because i dunno why I shuldnt. . .I've looked into it and I feel like i've got a pretty good grasp on all the reasons why I should root (apps/cache on sd, tether capability, early cupcake update, ect.). . .but I can't get a straight answer on the cons of rooting. . .

The only thing i've heard is that it will void your warranty. . .which could be a problem for me because of my absolute horrible luck with consumer electronics (been thru 4 ipods, 3 sidekicks, 2 laptops, and a partridge in a pear tree). . .

so if I could ever get a straight up list of cons. . . I'd probably go ahead and do it already because trust me. . .every passing day without cupcake is a day of my life wasted. . .

Upvote 0
Great question!
I asked a similar question on previous page and so far heard nothing...

[sarcasm] I guess the folks here are too busy flaming each other for what to post or not to post in this thread to actually answer a real question that in fact concerns an OTA update (and incidentally rooting too). [/sarcasm]

(climbing under a table to dodge flames from both sides of the named argument)
LEM.

http://tinyurl.com/czfykd

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones