1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support The one thing holding me back from buying a TF101.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kylesnav, Jul 9, 2011.

1. kylesnav

kylesnav Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Apps. There are a lot of apps on the iPad that are made for iPad. I want a lot of apps made for tablets. If I buy a transformer I want a tablet not a massive phone. Obviously there are some apps that are gonna have tablet support (evernote, dropbox, things like that). But is there a large market or even a portion of the market dedicated to tablets? and is there a lot of apps available for it? Is there a netflix/hulu app yet? or can i just use the browser to do hulu/netflix? Mainly I am looking for answers to these questions and tips on good usefull apps. I DO NOT WANT AN IPAD.

thanks :) oh and is there a Flipboard alternative for android or just pulse?

Advertisement

2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Android Expert
    None

May 17, 2010
    technical illustrator
    UK
    You are right, there aren't as many apps for honeycomb as there are for iPad.
    I have the transformer though, and have found that despite there only being a few apps in the market that say they are honeycomb optimised, there are a lot more that scale perfectly or are optimised but dont state that in the description. I have found an app for every need i have and they all look great.

My favourites are:
    Friendme - Facebook
    Plume - twitter
    Zinio - magazines
    Taptu - news
    News 360 - news
    Native Honeycomb Youtube
    File manager HD

Search for THD to find the best tegra2 optimised games.

I have over 70 apps installed.
    Its just a case of having to search a bit harder for them.

3. kylesnav

kylesnav Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    So when things scale do they make like massive versions of the original app or do they move around a bit? because if i get the facebook app i dont want just a massive phone you know?

4. kampfwolf09

kampfwolf09 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    NC
    The nice thing about android is you don't need the apps for the most part. I use the desktop version of facebook and many other pages in my browser. Cars is right, a lot of apps don't say they will work but they will. Sometimes you just have to "side-load" the apps. Flash support makes watching movies on any streaming site pretty easy, except Netflix of course. IMO the iPad is just a big phone, iPhone that is.

5. AutobahnSHO

AutobahnSHO Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    There are lots of apps for Android Tablets but soon there will be TONS of them, as more tablets sell, more developers make more apps and....

So far all the apps I've used on the tablet work great, whether built for phone or not. Netflix is not available yet, but I've read Hulu works.

6. mobimop

mobimop Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    Zinio is an awful port to android, the resolution is horrible.

7. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Android Expert
    None

May 17, 2010
    technical illustrator
    UK
    what? dont know what app you have seen, but its near perfect, wait less than 3 seconds after zooming in and it crispens up, its vectored, so there is no resolution...? the app is stunning. try the app from the market, not the one that comes pre installed.

8. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 9, 2009
    Gloucestershire, ENG
  9. Pretkomel

Pretkomel Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA.
    I have 190 apps in my Transformer and even before that it never felt like a massive phone. People have to think that Apple phones and tablets have been in the market before android and it makes sense that they have more apps, but that will change sooner than you think.

10. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    My 7" Galaxy Tab felt like a big phone...my TF doesn't. But admittedly, I'm not a huge app user on my tablet. I mainly use it for web browsing, email, and watching videos.

11. bellasmom71

bellasmom71 Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    purchased the transformer because it had flash capabilities...i understand netflix is not available, but i was hoping hulu would be...had it for two weeks, and still can not get hulu...

12. archercc

archercc Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    It really depends on the developer. Lazy ones, its just a massive phone app. Some of the better ones, even if they arent optimized detect the screen size/density and adapt. Like the Delta app, its just a big phone app. But Flixster, it doesnt have a dedicated tablet app but it completely reorganizes itself to look like a tablet app instead of just stretching it out.

13. bfuzze

bfuzze Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    I tried a Netflix hack that supposedly works on most of the more recent Android platforms, but it didn't really take. I could login, browse, and update queue items, but none of the movies would play. Rumor has it something is in the works, but I haven't been able to reach anyone at Netflix.

I'm pretty new to the transformer, but am having a great time with it. It's fast and stable (except for a few bad apps) and the docking platform is freakin' awesome. I think the android UI is beautifully smooth and responsive, much better than the Ipad. I find it hard to close and/or switch between apps on the Ipad.

The only complaints I have with the stock Android platform are that:
    I'm having trouble connecting to my desktop via usb;
    the stock VPN feature is broken (can't save settings);
    it seems like you need to root the tablet to do a lot of the cool stuff (I haven't done this yet), considering I own it I don't like the fact that I need to hack it to use it (???);
    no aircard (yet)

$399 without the dock... more than worth it IMHO.

Apple is the new Microsoft... wasn't even a question for me.

Good luck!

14. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    People always ask "what's rooting and why should I root? "

Answer: you can do things that aren't supported on stock devices... See below ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm running the latest Revolver ROM which supports OTA updating (nice feature) and I used the Netflix fix posted here:

[DEV] Netflix patch for Asus Transformer - xda-developers

I'm using the hacked Netflix app with auto rotation that is listed in the first post of the link I posted... I use my TF in a 45 degree orientation most of the time so that auto rotation is helpful.
    :D

15. mihaelb

mihaelb Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2011
    VPN: you need to tap on the top-right 'menu' and save from there...it's counter-intuitive...I also wasn't getting why the settings weren't sticking around :)