• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The one thing I still miss about my iPhone...

ap3604

Android Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2010
Weird to say it but I kind of miss evil Apple being the bad guy and trying to control all of our phones. I miss the challenge and being able to strike back with a jailbreak. I know you can be "bad" and root your N1 but its not really the same for me since Google is a great company that is totally open and customer oriented and the Nexus One fulfills all of my needs right out of the box so there is no badguy to fight against and make things fun.

The iPhone jailbreak community was really a family since everyone had the same phone and was always working together against "the man". With the android and the Nexus One there are so many android phones that the community as a whole feels some fractured since everyone is on different forums. So far XDA, Phandroid, and Nexus One Forums have been the best with community involvement but I am sure over time it will get better.

Thanks guys for being great and helping me with all my questions. Hope we can continue to stick together helping each other out.

I agree in some ways that I like the cat and mouse chase of the jailbreaking scene and the relationship jailbreakers have. Although I don't agree that there isn't such a thing for Android.
Like you said, you can root your device which isn't recommended by Google but the OS as a whole is very open in that sense.
Considering that the community of iPhone 'hackers' is closer is also quite a loose statement. There are thousands of forums of people who jailbreak and I think as with any situation, there's always the top players and smaller groups which don't have as much of a following.

I personally only go to three places for N1/Android information and that's here, Modaco and XDA Dev. XDA Dev has always been there with top information since my WinMo days (XDA EXEC!) and since they support the N1 and Android its just perfect.
I'm sure there are plenty of other places someone could go for a community but I honestly don't feel that its broken or split in anyway.

Oh, Who do we class the Steve Jobs of Android as?

Upvote 0
I agree in some ways that I like the cat and mouse chase of the jailbreaking scene and the relationship jailbreakers have. Although I don't agree that there isn't such a thing for Android.
Like you said, you can root your device which isn't recommended by Google but the OS as a whole is very open in that sense.

fastboot oem unlock

As close to an official call to root as anything. Google made it extra easy here, which they didn't have to. Plus, HTC honors hardware warranty even if you unlocked your bootloader.

Upvote 0
I'm worried about rooting, but honestly whats the worst that can happen? If I brick my phone can't I just have it re-formatted or somethin'? Would it cost me an arm and a leg?

I wan't to do it but I'm not sure if I'm willing to lose my phone over it, but that's why I'm wondering if there is really anything to even worry about.

I almost bought an iPhone, but then I remembered how much I hate Apple. Takes me back to when I went to an Apple Store seminar with a friend of mine, before it started they played a bunch of HILARIOUS commercials with people making statements like:

"I used to have Windows, when I downloaded a file I couldn't figure out where it went!, so now I have Apple."

"With Windows, I couldn't find anything, I couldn't get anything to work!, I went and got an Apple and I couldn't be happier."

To this day I strongly believe that every Apple user is defined as "someone too stupid to use a PC".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones