1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

The pain! :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ReMiiX-, Nov 16, 2010.

1. ReMiiX-

ReMiiX- New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Well, im from Canada, Vancouver to be specific, and i was wondering if i could go down to the states, and purchase a Droid X (i want it so bad!) and be able to unlock it for use in Canada.

I've searched Google and have gotten mixed answers, so i decided to call verizon. The teller told me that her supervisor said that they are all made to work on any network, i.e. CDMA/GSM, and the current network i'm on is GSM (specifically FIDO, if anyone has heard/knows about it)

My question is, am i able to unlock a Droid X (not x2) for use in Canada?

:(

Advertisement

2. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    student
    Planet Earth
    lol the Droid X will not work with GSM.

3. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Sorry man, the Droid X will not work on GSM networks. The verizon rep lied to you, either that, the rep has mistaken the X with droid pro which is a world phone with both cdma and gsm radios.

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    While it would be nice for there to be a Droid X World phone, I don't think it's currently an option on Motorola's drawing board.

5. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Hmmm... I heard or read somewhere (It's in the cobwebs of my mind) that Motorola is coming out with the Motoroi X (DX for GSM) No? Someone feel free to correct me.

Found it, but it seems to be for Mexico. You can move south? ;)
    Motoroi X aka Droid X announced for Mexico

6. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    I work in an office. It has a window, but it isn't
    In a house, near some mountains.
    interesting. first i've heard of a GSM X. and, the fact that they call it a Motoroi doesn't lend much credibility to them. but, that doesnt mean it wont be happening.
    that would be good news for the OP.

as of now, the OP either needs to switch to a CDMA carrier in canada, or wait for a GSM X, which hasnt been announced by Moto.

7. hyperlite

hyperlite Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    So OP, sell your X, then drive out of canada, through the US, and into mexico to get an X that WILL work! :D

8. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    New York, NY
    I WOULD LOVE THAT! Upgrade in a heartbeat.

9. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Film/TV Attorney
    Whistler BC and Los Angeles
    Do what I did - got the X from VZW and got an account in the US. Sign up for the little-advertised plan that includes Canada for your calls with no roaming charges. It's a heck of lot cheaper than my Telus plan was. Downside is you have a US number and data has a roaming charge in Canada of $.002/MB (but you can buy a global data roaming package to eliminate that).