• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The PGA and LIV debacle

Who do you side for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not a favorable article for LIV. I'm not a LIV hater. I think they have forced the PGA into a more player friendly game. LIV might survive. It might grow into something yet. But it will take a lifetime to be close to a PGA like environment for its players with a long honorable traditions and prestigious player history.

Upvote 0
I watched a bit of LIV golf yesterday. It was being broadcasted on the CW network. I flipped over between commercial breaks of the Honda Classic.
I didn't see any of the big stars that migrated to LIV but the players I saw displayed talent. What stood out immediately when viewing was the attire the golfers were wearing. I personally see nothing wrong with wearing shorts when the weather permits and certainly don't see it as disrespecting the game.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I, for one, think that the PGA is too strict with their dress code.
90 plus degrees outside and the golfers have to wear pants? That's insane!
And a collared shirt?
That's my biggest gripe.

I see no problems with that. As a teacher I've had to deal with with dress standards in hot temperatures.

For a collared shirt, I'm sure that just means a plain cotton polo shirt, rather than some whatever t-shirt. Pants is easy, just wear lightweight cotton khakis, and leave the cut-offs(Daisy Dukes) at home.

I've had 15 years of trying to look smart while working and living in hot places.

Even in the UK, from what I've seen many private golf clubs do impose minimal dress codes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rory McIlroy resigned as player director On the PGA Tour policy board Tuesday. He was outspoken against the LIV league and as he put it, he was stung by the decision of the PGA to partner with LIV.
He didn't even know about the decision until an hour before the announcement. He cited his resignation was due to personal and professional reasons.

Rory has a lot of irons in the fire including his professional career, family, and business interests. Perhaps his spot on the board was too time consuming and he felt it in his best interest to step down. Perhaps it was a disliking of the decision for the partnership of the two opposing golf leagues.
We may never know for sure but he was a great rep on the board and his voice will be missed by many golf purists.

Upvote 0
You might well be correct. I don't know his political feelings towards the Saudis but I know he loves the game of golf as we know it and has no desire to see that changed. I have no idea what will result from the merger. I'm betting there will be compromises by both leagues to form a union. That will definitely make major changes to the game we are accustomed to. Will the changes enhance the game of golf and its exposure to the public? Will there be new avenues for young golf pros to enter the elite arena?
Will there be better dispersal of winning funds so that new players have a chance to play without having deep pockets?

I think there is room for improvement for the game the PGA has in place. As it is, you might be very good but not make the cut to play for the big bucks. Players are forced to fund their expense to travel and play. Not making the cut for the bucks they go home after spending a lot of money for not. Though they have a great game, they simply can't afford to donate to the PGA in an effort to break into the big time.
Dress code is another issue but I can't see it being a big deal. I'm not even good enough to call myself an average golfer but I have golf clothes that meet the standards of all courses.
Game format might well be changed. LIV is playing a shotgun start where the PGA puts the elite players teeing off last on hole #1 so that they are the last to finish. I can't see changing to a shotgun start being a big factor for all of the golfers are well schooled on each hole. Starting on hole thirteen and ending your round on hole twelve can't be a huge deal. All of the tournaments I played in were shotgun start.
Purse is another factor of consideration. Most if not all PGA tournaments have prize monies and contributions to different organizations. Some goes into the PGA pocket. I don't think LIV is getting into the game for kicks. They expect some return for their money. The dispersal of funds will be real interesting.

I'm sure there will be major changes to the game as we know it. Players might even be paid a salary to play like most professional sports with a contract. The PGA is now in bed with LIV so I'm sure we are in for some major changes that did not sit well with Rory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones