1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The phone locked itself out of nowhere and added a password

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Em Es, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Em Es

Em Es Lurker

Hello

I'm writing to help a friend solve this issue: Allegedly, they were just browsing their phone when it suddenly locked itself out of nowhere. Now, the only thing appearing is this screen attached into pictures below.

The phone never had any security, the main screen was Swipe to Unlock and no password had been set up, making this situation even weirder. None of Google log-in options appear either and I can't access the settings.

The text of the notification in the 2nd screenshot mentions that "Moto Action gestures are active"
    Below it there's text that reads "Unlocking all data and functionality"

This is really weird. Anyone know what's going on and if I can bypass this?

IMG_20210827_184546344.jpg IMG_20210827_194720444.jpg

Mia Malkova likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

very odd indeed. most likely a hard reset is needed. I don't think there is any way around it

#2 ocnbrze, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Dannydet likes this.
  3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Will a hard reset require the imaginary PIN?
    Odd indeed

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

No, but it will trip FRP.......so the op needs to have the Google account info that was used to register the phone.

Clementine_3 and Dannydet like this.
  5. iBowToAndroid

iBowToAndroid Android Enthusiast

Phones cannot - and do not - lock themselves. Either a human added a screen lock, or a remote lock was initiated

svim, ocnbrze, Madd61 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Em Es

Em Es Lurker

Several hours later, turns out she guessed the password... But the lock is still there. I assume it must've been REALLY unlucky series of missclicks... well, thank you for your help all!

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Your friend obviously did set up a lockscreen password at one time (just randomly guessing the necessary password is mathematically not going to happen) so you should be the proactive one and get things settled now. Have her go into the Settings menu, open up the menu for Security, and intentionally set up a lock screen with a password or gesture or whatever that she won't forget.

ocnbrze likes this.

Moto G(7) Power Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews