1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The promise land cometh

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jcnyc, May 16, 2011.

1. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast

redraider1 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert

I wouldn't bet the farm on it happening on schedule, but it's a hopeful sign

3. dmunz

dmunz Well-Known Member

As an Android noob I've asked before and I'll ask again - what does Gingerbread do for me?

TIA
    DLM

4. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

It a better running OS that showed promise of better battery life than froyo. I know my droid I flashed a GB rom and the phone was fast and the battery lasted longer than it did with froyo. It more stable.

I am sure others will chime in on this better than I could.

5. tuanster1119

tuanster1119 Well-Known Member

6. dmunz

dmunz Well-Known Member

Yes, I get the Google thing, but what that page doesn't tell me is why is that stuff a big deal on the Thunderbolt. For example, just how much difference will the download manager make? Or will the new keyboard be better than some of the apps out there?

I guess a better question is will the updates to the OS and power management really make a difference on the Thunderbolt? And does the cosmetic stuff really matter?

TIA
    DLM

7. WildH

WildH Android Enthusiast

Yes. Are hot chicks hotter with makeup and push up bras? ;)

redraider1, grossie and chuck2530 like this.
  8. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

Gingerbread is more of a "behind the scenes update", meaning you won't notice many cosmetic updates. It does come with sense 2.1, which features the tabbed app drawer (all, downloaded, most used, verizon apps) and the HTC sense clock now has an option to display your social media updates rather than the weather. Also, not an improvement as far as I'm concerned, but when scrolling in the app drawer, you can no longer "flick" down and watch it continuously scroll until it reaches the bottom. It now goes "page by page", showing about 25-30 apps per "page" so you have to keep scrolling to get to the bottom. Huge fail, IMO, especially for people with hundreds of apps like myself

9. Well HTC did say it would come by the end of Q2 so now its up to verizon to work out the bugs and get it out in time. Knowing verizon they will dick around and wait like they always do. I wish they would just give this to the dev's and let them work out all the kinks and then allow it to be sent out ota rather than verizon testing it which we know only leads to more issues usually lol.

10. Make up doesn't cure ugly lol.

11. The keyboard is so much better. If you want to try it out go on the market and look for gingerbread keyboard and download the free version. I use that keyboard because to me it is much nicer and easier to type on compared to the stock keyboard.

12. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast

But the Thunderbolt comes with the Sense UI keyboard.

Or people could just spend a few bucks and buy a different keyboard app.

13. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Android Expert

SwiftKey is the best keyboard that I've ever tried. Buy it and thank me later. :D

14. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast

Better keyboard 8 with keyboard height adjusted lower FTW

15. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Android Expert

How is the word prediction though? SwiftKey has the best word prediction that I've ever found. I can't tell you how often it suggest exactly what I want to say to make things super quick.

16. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

Thats what beer is for.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews