• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The PRS Complete Rooting Guide

Thanks for the info. Worked like a champ. I did have some issues at first though. Tried 2 different SD cards and nothing. Rebooted about 20 times. Not sure if it helped the root or not but as soon as I unplugged from the USB port on the front of my PC and plugged into one on the back coming off the actual motherboard, it kicked in the first try. No more CityID!! :D

Windows 7 64bit
2GB Kingston Card (No clue what class)

Upvote 0
Great job devs! Thanks so much and thanks for the guide!

I'm having issues though installling the superuser.apk. I can't install directly from phone and when I adb install, it says 'Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE]'

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

We have root access... doesnt mean that all things root will work. some stuff is confirmed, some stuff will still have to be figured out. The su.apk is one of them that is not working yet. There are a lot more permissions and such that all have to be sorted before everything will work.

Upvote 0
30+ times no luck.... anyway to test the SDK to the phone to make sure that is working? or adb?

yes... boot your phone normally ... make sure debug is turned on.. and then do adb shell... you should get the prompt.. you just wont be able to do anything

maybe having debug enabled is the key?

you did install HTC sync to get the driver installed correct?

Upvote 0
Still not having any success here, adb sees the device once its booted, but not from recovery mode. Verizon is already shipping me a new Incredible on the 11th, so bricking my phone is not a problem, :eek:

I've been trying the adb devices trick to see if it sees it, then during reboot I use adb reboot recovery and it will automatically reboot it back to the recovery screen, better than pulling battery IMHO

Upvote 0
Ok this method seems to be working... please if you have had no success try this and get back to me... this is just for the boot up part

- Turn off phone
- Unplug USB cable
- Hold Optical track/Button, Press Power
- When in menu, hit Power (to boot FASTBOOT)
- Wait 20 seconds (until it tries to load everything it needs)
- Plug USB cable in, wait another 10 seconds for OS to catch up and detect
- Press Volume DOWN, once
- Start your 'adb shell' loop (via batch file posted in the thread)
- Press Power

I have tested this 3 times in a row and it seems to work perfectly.

Upvote 0
No luck, and the only thing i am noticing based on these instructions which I did not notice before is a strange USB connect sound with this - "- Plug USB cable in, wait another 10 seconds for OS to catch up and detect"

But after that I get a normal disconnect and reconnect while it is on the "!" screen.

So far I have tried 4 times with the same results.

Upvote 0
Ok this method seems to be working... please if you have had no success try this and get back to me... this is just for the boot up part

- Turn off phone
- Unplug USB cable
- Hold Optical track/Button, Press Power
- When in menu, hit Power (to boot FASTBOOT)
- Wait 20 seconds (until it tries to load everything it needs)
- Plug USB cable in, wait another 10 seconds for OS to catch up and detect
- Press Volume DOWN, once
- Start your 'adb shell' loop (via batch file posted in the thread)
- Press Power

I have tested this 3 times in a row and it seems to work perfectly.

Does not work for me.

Upvote 0
No luck, and the only thing i am noticing based on these instructions which I did not notice before is a strange USB connect sound with this - "- Plug USB cable in, wait another 10 seconds for OS to catch up and detect"

But after that I get a normal disconnect and reconnect while it is on the "!" screen.

So far I have tried 4 times with the same results.

There must be some other issue then... i have replicated the results on my phone several times with the new method and it works every time no reboots.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones