• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The REAL and OFFICIAL "OMG I got Cupcake!!" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK folks here it is. THE US CUPCAKE MANUAL UPDATE LINK. got this off the Tmo forums, and it is 100% legit and it works, I just updated my phone to cupcake. Non rooted, non dev US version phone. I am so excited.

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/partner/signed-kila-ota-148830.de6a94ca.zip

For those who need help, to update manually its super easy. You plug your phone into your computer and mount it as a drive. Then you download the link above and save it as "UPDATE" on your computer (i save it in the desktop so you can find it easier). Copy the UPDATE file and paste it into your phones SD card in the main area that shows all of your folders (the root of the SD card). Make sure you disconnect your phone properly from your computer. Then, power off your phone. To turn back on, hold the HOME and END keys to power the phone on. When the G1 screen comes on, press ALT+L, then wait for the little triangle with the ! inside. Then you press ALT+S. Then the phone will begin the update. Sit tight for about 5 mins, and the phone will update and turn itself off and on a few times.

This is the real deal and legit. Thanks to all those out there who did their research and made this possible for manual update!

Upvote 0
OK folks here it is. THE US CUPCAKE MANUAL UPDATE LINK. got this off the Tmo forums, and it is 100% legit and it works, I just updated my phone to cupcake. Non rooted, non dev US version phone. I am so excited.

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/partner/signed-kila-ota-148830.de6a94ca.zip

For those who need help, to update manually its super easy. You plug your phone into your computer and mount it as a drive. Then you download the link above and save it as "UPDATE" on your computer (i save it in the desktop so you can find it easier). Copy the UPDATE file and paste it into your phones SD card in the main area that shows all of your folders (the root of the SD card). Make sure you disconnect your phone properly from your computer. Then, power off your phone. To turn back on, hold the HOME and END keys to power the phone on. When the G1 screen comes on, press ALT+L, then wait for the little triangle with the ! inside. Then you press ALT+S. Then the phone will begin the update. Sit tight for about 5 mins, and the phone will update and turn itself off and on a few times.

This is the real deal and legit. Thanks to all those out there who did their research and made this possible for manual update!

after downloading the file and saving it are you supposed to unzip it or just strait copy and paste it to the phone then follow the steps...because i did the steps and when i got to the clt+s for it to start to download it just stayed with the TRIANGLE WITH !...and thing i did wrong...thanks..:thinking:

Upvote 0
after downloading the file and saving it are you supposed to unzip it or just strait copy and paste it to the phone then follow the steps...because i did the steps and when i got to the clt+s for it to start to download it just stayed with the TRIANGLE WITH !...and thing i did wrong...thanks..:thinking:

No, you do not unpack it. You leave it as a zip file, and you must rename it UPDATE. Then you copy that update file and paste it into your SD card. Power your phone off. When you power your phone back on you must hold the home key as you turn the power on. When it gets to the G1 you press ALT+L, then you wait a second for the triangle with the ! to pop up. AFTER you get to the triangle screen is when you THEN press ALT+S. The screen will show an icon of a box with the lid open with a yellow arrow coming out down to a picture of a G1 phone. Then a progress bar will be at the bottom showing how much has been loaded into the phone. This will take a few mins, and you may think the phone is frozen or stuck, but it is not. DO NOT TURN THE PHONE OFF OR REMOVE THE BATTERY DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS! IMPORTANT! After the yellow bar goes to 100% then the screen changes to a picture of a microchip with a yellow arrow going to it, this is telling you it is installing and updating the Android OS. Your phone will turn itself on and off a few times during the process.

When everything is all said and done, the phone will power on (it will take a while for the first boot) and once you are past the black G1 screen, you will see the new ANDROID logo with its shiny silver letters and minus the little green dude. =) Hope this helped you, let me know.

Upvote 0
So I guess we're just ignoring all this now....?

Because the last "OMG I got cupcake" thread nosedived into chaos and madness due to misunderstandings...

I've decided to open up another thread...

This time...I'll lay out the rules PROPERLY for you all to understand...

This thread is ONLY for people who receive the OTA Android 1.5 Update. That means you get a notification on your phone saying "There is a system update available"

That means...

NO rooted updates! We don't care about you! Only the OTA updaters are welcome here...
If there's a big enough demand...I'll open a "OMG I just rooted" thread in the near future!

No Dev Phones either!!

Now that that's clear...let's lay out what the requirements are to post in this thread....

When you receive the OTA 1.5 Update, simply reply to this thread saying...

OMG I got Cupcake!!
Say whereabouts you live (Zip Code/Post Code/Town/Whatever you want to say.)
And give your opinion on what it is...

So an example post would be:

OMG I got Cupcake!
First Thoughts: Not bad...still getting used to the virtual keyboard...

This thread is for everyone who is eligible to receive the OTA 1.5 update! So the US, UK and anywhere else that receives this update!

Now....looking forward to hearing from all of you!

Moderators...can I ask that any messages that don't comply with my rules be removed please? =)

Upvote 0
So I guess we're just ignoring all this now....?

Who is ignoring it? The purpose of this thread was for people to post when they have cupcake....and to see if there is some sort of pattern to the rollout. Now that there is a link and you can manually update, you do not HAVE to wait for the OTA you can go and update yourself. Many people coming to this thread are looking to get cupcake without rooting or jailbreaking their phone. So your welcome.

Upvote 0
Ok,last Wednesday,I ordered my G1 phone online from T-Mobile.Thursday morning it showed up at my door.I only had the phone 3 days.So I start Googling around for info about the G1 and the Android OS.I quickly stubble upon the rumors about Cupcake.Well,today I find this thread and followed the easy,manual update info and.....I have Cupcake!And if I can do it,anyone can.

Thank you Eric!

Upvote 0
OK so I guess I should comment on what I think of it. So here goes.

I just updated (manually) to Cupcake.
Thoughts: the virtual keyboard rocks. It is the best feature included. I am typing on it right now. Camcorder is good but sound barely records and when you move the camera it gets blurry and trails a bit. The GPS has improved immensely. Before when I opened Google maps it would take forever to get my location if at all...now its almost immediate that I can get a correct My Location. I don't use bluetooth so I can't comment on that. A lot of the UI has been polished very nicely. App drawer and notification slider have a better look. I like that you can see the background when you go to unlock the screen. The contacts and activity section now tells you the times that people have called. All-in-all its a great update but its still really the same phone. I feel a little foolish to have been so anxious to have it.

BUT it was a delicious cupcake to have woke up this morning and found that link on another forum and been able to share it here. Happy Cupcake Day!

Upvote 0
Who is ignoring it? The purpose of this thread was for people to post when they have cupcake....and to see if there is some sort of pattern to the rollout. Now that there is a link and you can manually update, you do not HAVE to wait for the OTA you can go and update yourself. Many people coming to this thread are looking to get cupcake without rooting or jailbreaking their phone. So your welcome.

Uh, did you bother to read it? The OP set up specific guidelines and rules for this thread.

And no, we weren't trying to see if there was a pattern. You must be new because it's been established with previous updates that the update rollout is completely random.

I was just confirming that the whole point of the thread, the set-up if you will, is being ignored. Which appears to be the case. Usually the mods go crazy about thread drift. Guess their standards only apply selectively. And I didn't say thank you.

Upvote 0
Uh, did you bother to read it? The OP set up specific guidelines and rules for this thread.

And no, we weren't trying to see if there was a pattern. You must be new because it's been established with previous updates that the update rollout is completely random.

I was just confirming that the whole point of the thread, the set-up if you will, is being ignored. Which appears to be the case. Usually the mods go crazy about thread drift. Guess their standards only apply selectively. And I didn't say thank you.

Obviously you didn't say thank you, that's why I said you're welcome. Rude not to say thank you. I saw ur postings in another thread about this manual update so are you for it or against it? Last I checked u weren't a mod and its not ur place to comment on such things. I am sure everyone who has been visiting this site anxiously awaiting a way to manually update without rooting or jailbreaking their phone greatly appreciates the link being posted. And if you actually read the posts here, you will see that I gave my location and opinion of the update. So once again, nothing here is being ignored so please don't try to come up here being catty about nonsense things. Thanks.

Upvote 0

To be honest punkzanyj...I wasn't expecting anyone to follow those guidelines...

I kinda figured it would be a long shot to get everyone to follow a procedure....but I just thought I'd try anyway....

It's no big deal...the main thing is that everyone's happy now they have their cupcakes! =)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones