• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Rise and Fall of the headphone jack

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    hey guys,
    so i found this very interesting youtube video about the history of the headphone jack.

check it out:

all of my headphones that i have save for a few wired ones (mostly ones that came with the various phones i have owned in the past) are wireless with bluetooth.

i get the uproar to some extent. they are just trying to make you buy things you do not necessarily need......but it works. people are buying wireless buds and airpods. it worked on me. i just bought the samsung buds and they are on the as we speak.

thoughts?

Last edited:
    Reactions: GameTheory
    My headphones are all wired. I won't buy something just because some company decides they want me to, and if I do (e.g. because I decide I've a use where noise cancellation trumps quality - since for a similar price you can always find higher quality wired) it will not be from one of the manufacturers who has pushed this - I'm certainly not rewarding Applefor starting it by buying Beats, nor Samsung for removing the last alternative by buying AKG ;).

(I should perhaps add that my ears don't tolerate buds anyway, so I'm entirely in the over-ear market).

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Ah this^^ 100%

With my wired head/earphones I don't have to think about keeping them charged and just use them when I please. Sound great too (iPhone 6 earphones & Sennheiser HD 650).

I've always hated the earbuds. I find them uncomfortable pushed in the ear canal. I do like earphones though, which just rest in the ear outside the ear canal.

Upvote 0
    Ah this^^ 100%

With my wired head/earphones I don't have to think about keeping them charged and just use them when I please. Sound great too (iPhone 6 earphones & Sennheiser HD 650).

I've always hated the earbuds. I find them uncomfortable pushed in the ear canal. I do like earphones though, which just rest in the ear outside the ear canal.

I can't use those pushed in the ear canal buds either, find them very uncomfortable. In fact I've got several pairs that came with various phones over the years, including some Samsung ones, all still sealed in their bags and never used. :D Can I sell them on Ebay?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I can't use those pushed in the ear canal buds either, find them very uncomfortable. In fact I've got several pairs that came with various phones over the years, including some Samsung ones, all still sealed in their bags and never used. :D Can I sell them on Ebay?
    Sure, I think you can sell them. Either in a bulk listing or individually. As long as your description, title, and pricing are good, you should have no problem.

Just get some bubble insulated envelopes(I purchased them on ebay) and print a usps label yourself through paypal and it shouldn't cost more than $2 usd with tracking to ship. Packages under 13oz are really cheap to ship.

edit:
    Just remembered you're in China. Not sure how it would be done out there. Though I've ordered from China and it seems they do the same.

Upvote 0
    Ah this^^ 100%

Actually I've always found them uncomfortable too. I used to find the in-ear ones more comfortable, but the skin of my ears was too sensitive and I kept getting ear infections. So now I don't use either, even for short periods.

It's a shame, because while I prefer over-ear anyway they are far less convenient to carry, so it would be nice to have the option. But I know what doesn't work for me, so there's no point worrying about it.

Upvote 0
    I used to love my Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones until one day I lost the charger. I had to use wired instead and honestly it sounded so much better. I later found out my ps4 controller lead charges them but never been wireless since. Some things just plateau. Like digital will never sound as good as cd and cd will never sound as good as lp.

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    I'm an earbud guy. Strictly wireless. Love the Bose Sound Sport pure wireless so that I bought a second pair just today. Buds take some time getting accustomed to but the sound, at least to me, is superior. Do keep in mind that I work in a noisy environment so the canceling and direct sound works great for me. I love the wireless option as well for convenience of not snagging the wires here and there on stuff. The trend to eliminate a phone jack has zero effect on me. I haven't plugged in my tunes in years.

Upvote 0
    With proper equipment:
    FLAC > CD > LP

No equipment:
    LP > FLAC >= CD

Oh, that's just my opinion.

OT

If you're buying any new LPs now, they'll have been pulled from a digital source anyway. The signal source for a modern record cutter is digital storage, and not reel-to-reel tapes these days AFAIK.

Also any studio recording made in the last 20-30+ years, is likely to have been done digitally anyway. CDs sometimes have "DDD" on the label, to indicate a completely digital process was used to produce it.

I always find the digital vs analogue debate interesting. :)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Sure, I think you can sell them. Either in a bulk listing or individually. As long as your description, title, and pricing are good, you should have no problem.

Just get some bubble insulated envelopes(I purchased them on ebay) and print a usps label yourself through paypal and it shouldn't cost more than $2 usd with tracking to ship. Packages under 13oz are really cheap to ship.

edit:
    Just remembered you're in China. Not sure how it would be done out there. Though I've ordered from China and it seems they do the same.

Only hypothetical really. For me as a private person, international portage and shipping would likely be prohibitive just for my collection of unused NOS Samsung, Oppo, and Huawei earbuds.

Reactions: GameTheory
    Upvote 0
    Only hypothetical really. For me as a private person, international portage and shipping would likely be prohibitive just for my collection of unused NOS Samsung, Oppo, and Huawei earbuds.
    Thought they were probably generic, but those brands would actually sell quickly on ebay.

Guess you can give them away to folks in need. My next door neighbor donates regularly to a local church, so I just give her all my junk to donate. She told me told me that what is junk to me is treasures to others.

Upvote 0
    OT

If you're buying any new LPs now, they'll have been pulled from a digital source anyway. The signal source for a modern record cutter is digital storage, and not reel-to-reel tapes these days AFAIK.

Also any studio recording made in the last 20-30+ years, is likely to have been done digitally anyway. CDs sometimes have "DDD" on the label, to indicate a completely digital process was used to produce it.

I always find the digital vs analogue debate interesting. :)
    Yes, we know CDs are digital. Hadron mentioned that above as well. The thing is you can get higher quality sound from a FLAC over a CD. Not that one can discern the difference, but the facts remain...
    https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-flac-the-high-def-mp3-explained/

LPs used to be considered better because they were already analogue therefore not needing to be converted to digital. Digital formats need a digital to analogue converter(DAC) which even our phones have.

Reactions: mikedt
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones