• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews The S20 Ultra EMBARRASSES the iPhone

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
  • Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    The Verge review of the Galaxy S20 Ultra showcases the device's camera when pitted against rivals like the iPhone 11 Pro and Google Pixel 4XL. The result: the S20 Ultra embarrasses the iPhone.

(jump to 4:10 in the video)

Other interesting observations from the video:
    • Face detection on the S20 Ultra rear camera forces skin smoothing, it's overdone, and there's no way to turn it off (yet)
    • The selfie camera is amazing and doesn't suffer from these same smoothing problems
    • The Ultra Wide camera is not very good
    • Low light is good but not as good as the Pixel 4
    • Portrait mode is good but not as good as the iPhone
    On the one hand it embarrasses the iPhone but on the other there is room for improvement. Great video review as a whole!

I have both and it's the other way around. The Ultra embarrasses itself for its bragging rights of allegedly having the best camera ever. First, straight out of the box, it suffers from Autofocus making the camera unusable mostly. Second, it smoothens the skin when taking a picture of me facing a mirror. You can't see the detail on my skin. Third, the night mode is laughable. I took a picture of similar subject last night and the iPhone produced a sharper, cleaner and true to life capture while the Ultra took a messy noisy oil painting result. Ugh. So not worthy of my $1400

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones