1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General The Samsung Hercules (SGSII US Edition for T-Mobile)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 8-Bit-Soldier, Aug 7, 2011.

1. 8-Bit-Soldier

8-Bit-Soldier Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta

Advertisement

2. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    It's curvy, but I don't like the back or the branding.

3. jds4000

jds4000 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    CRNA
    Sarasota, Florida
    Looks like CRAP to me. I want the ORIGINAL GS II that was released worldwide (EXCEPT IN THE USA) months ago. I refuse to purchase a Sprint variant (LOUSY SERVICE). I had hoped T Mobile would get the GS II in it's current form, but it appears that my hopes have been dashed. My last hope is Verizon. Well I will wait and see, just like the rest of USA consumers. If this phone does not materialize in its original form at Verizon, I will regrettably be purchasing the iPhone 5. I AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED IN THE GS II DEVELOPMENTS OR LACK THEREOF IN THE USA. BTW, the Hercules looks like a gigantic Nexus S. I love my Nexus S, but a 4.5 inch screen is ridiculous.

4. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Android Expert
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Jr. I.T. Support Tech @ Amazon
    Plainfield, Indiana
    I know what you mean, I think the original SG2 looks perfect. I like the entire look of it, the home buttom and all. It sucks that none of the US Variants will have that.

5. novemberwhiskey

novemberwhiskey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    any mention of LTE?

6. Wolfedude88

None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana

I don't remember tmobile having LTE, do they?

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

thats a nice looking phone, but yes.. the original S2 is beautiful as it is. this looks like, as someone just mentioned, a bigger nexus S :D and no home button

Trooper likes this.
  8. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    Agreed. Which is why I bought an unlocked SGSII and am still running it here in the US. It truly is a beautiful phone. :D

9. So-Low Da Don

So-Low Da Don Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Aspiring Rapper/Producer
    Houston, TX
    Imo this looks way better than the original GSII, I didn't like the box shape, I like phones curvy and I hated the home button in the middle! I hope the Sprint variant is something like this except smaller.

10. Wolfedude88

None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    Do not say that. I am praying that the Sprint Version resembles the original Galaxy S 2 as close as possible. We already know it is going to be a little wider and cant remember the other change. But besides that I would love for it to look like the Original.

I must be in the minority but I love the home button.

11. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i love the home button too :D

Wolfedude88 likes this.
  12. Wolfedude88

None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    If I could have imported the GS2 to Sprint I would have. It is as close to perfect as a phone is right now for me. I know eventually something out there will be better, but right now this is the phone to get and I love the look of the original out now and wish it would work with Sprint. Sadly it does not, and I am not leaving for Tmobile or ATT.

13. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    Why don't you consider AT&T version Attain? I think that will be the closest US one to international SGS2 as AT&T wireless standard is the same as global one. Since both AT&T and Verizon is getting iPhone5, Samsung will make sure that SGS2 on those carriers would be very competitive spec wise. But Sprint, T-mobile will get some modified ones though still very decent.

14. So-Low Da Don

So-Low Da Don Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Aspiring Rapper/Producer
    Houston, TX

And where did you hear this information?

15. Wolfedude88

None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    I haven't hear any of this, According to rumors Sprint is likely to get the iphone this year. Everything is just a rumor though.

What makes you think ATT stanard is the same as the Global one? Chances are, ATT, Sprint, and Verizon will all have similar phones released. While Tmoible is getting the bigger Hercules, with possibly a different processor.

16. crispy1

crispy1 Newbie
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    I like the shape of the original SGS II. T-Mobile should've kept it that way. This SGS II looks exactly like the Nexus S 4G, although I like the capacitive buttons more than the middle physical button. Too bad the processor isn't Exynos also. I wish there was a picture with a side profile so we could see how thin this is.

Hopefully this comes out soon.

17. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    He's right. AT&T uses 3GSM/HSPA+ that most of European, Asian countries are using. So you can import international GS2 and activate it on AT&T.
    Here in U.S all three carriers are using different wireless standard, Sprint is CDMA/WiMax, Verizon is CDMA/LTE and AT&T is 3GSM/HSPA+, so they should have different radio chips.

18. RoRo1990

RoRo1990 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Ahhhaaaahhaaaa finally the us gets the short end of the stick. Even here in Canada they kept it the same as the international version. Lol now they will have to make more cases cause of this

19. Wolfedude88

None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana

Yeah but to me his point seemed like he was saying the ATT version wasn't going to be the closest to the European one. I wasn't taking that as meaning the radio inside.

He says that the person should consider it, because Samsung will be competitive because of the iphone 5.

I was just asking why he thinks it will be the same? Last year the captivate was one of the ones that looked the most different.

20. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    OK. Let me clarify for you. There was leaked photo of Attain a few months ago that looked nearly identical to global one except bottom capacitive buttons. I don't have link to it at the moment. Given that AT&T uses the same 3GSM wireless standard that is commonly used oversea, that makes sense. So I don't know why that poster overlooked AT&T when complaining on Hercules different from international SGS2.

I know that Captivate looked quite different from GS1 but that doesn't mean they will repeat the same trend going forward. Also Sprint getting iPhone is just rumor at this point and I don't think it will happen this year. So why would Samsung put together, focus their resource for carrier without iPhone when they have bigger competitors in AT&T, Verizon right now?

21. Wolfedude88

None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    Here is how I look at it. What carrier could potentially sell more SG2? A carrier with a new iphone being released around the same time or a carrier not having a iphone released around the same time?

We all know Samsung is going to release a GS2 to all four major carriers. To me though, they could have a easier time selling more on Sprint if Sprint doesn't get a iphone 5. Whether we like it or not the iphone is going to sell like hot cakes when it arrives no matter if the GS2 is there or not.

I still think the GS2 is going to sell well on all carriers though, but for some reason I think the Verizon version is not going to be promoted as well though. If it is released at the same time as the Droid Bionic that is.

No matter what though, I think all carriers are going to get a powerful Samsung phone. Currently ATT and Sprint look to have a SG2 that look most like the original. Judging by the back of the Sprint Version, and by the front of the ATT version. Both appear to be more round though than the original but way less than the Hercules.

22. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Personally I prefer the look of the original. But I suppose I would say that as I have one. I kind of like my menu button were it is. Does anyone else think they have got rid of the menu button so you can't get into recovery mode? Therefore meaning you can't root.

23. Wolfedude88

None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    No definitely not the case, all four major US carriers dropped the physical menu button last year and all are rootable. There is still a menu botton on the phone that does the same thing, it just isn't physical.

Still not sure why they dropped it but they did last time and so far it appears they have this time.