1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

"The Security Certificate for this site is not trusted"

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by sleepwalking, Jan 5, 2013.

1. sleepwalking

sleepwalking Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2013
    I haven't used my tablet in about two weeks but today I charged it, turned it on and it wouldnt connect to facebook using the fb app. So I tried to go on fb using the browser and chrome and both give me the security certificate warning.

I bought the tablet in the US and am using it in australia if that makes a difference (although I'm pretty sure it doesnt).

Fix please? :)

Tablet is an Asus Transformer Infinity if that matters...

Advertisement

2. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    I got that same message today on my Asus nexus 7 using chrome. I was just going to straighttalk.com, which is a pretty big wireless provider here. I thought it a bit strange but just chose to go anyway, and ignored it. It didn't happen again after that. In fact I tried it again just now, and the message didn't pop up. Can't say it was the same problem, but I would just ignore it if it's a trusted site (like facebook) you're going to. If it persists, then it's obviously something to look into.

3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Have you tried different sites or different browsers (like Dolphin, Boat, Firefox) to see if you get the same warnings?
    I'm not a FB user so can't confirm the problem.

4. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Jul 4, 2012
    Semi-retired developer
    The Shire
    That message can mean many things including:
    * The organization issues their own certificates, and they're not a recognized CA (Certificate Authority)
    * It's a subsidiary company using the Parent Company's certificate -or vice-versa
    * The certificate has been revoked
    * or been corrupted

It depends on the company and what the certificate says as to whether you trust it.

SirSpace likes this.
  5. SirSpace

SirSpace Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Like davdi said u should be fine if u know the site is trusted your fine. I get the same with Google sometimes I think it has nothing to do with devices but on there end maybe server issues but I wouldn't worry. Yes it's annoying but mine just stopped so you might have to do the same and just wait

6. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    check the date/time settings. I do know that on a computer if the date/time is wrong the web browser will complain about site certificates. in addition, on some browsers these alerts can be turned off in settings.

7. Martincloud9

Martincloud9 Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    I have tried the time/date settings. All Ok.
    I have reset my browsers (all settings possible) and installed new browsers.
    Nothing has worked.
    How do I repair/re-install my certificates? The only website (so far) this causes a problem with is Hotmail. I cannot even enter the site. I don't even get the 'proceed anyway' option.
    I don't want to end up re-installing my OS to get this working properly again.

Help please!! :(

8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Hotmail? Hotmail became Outlook.com about 2 years ago. You shouldn't be seeing any site from Microsoft called "Hotmail" now AFAIK. You might still have a @hotmail.com email addess, but the site should be showing as "Outlook".

You could even be on a phishing site masquerading as "Hotmail", and if you have entered your login details on a site like that, change your password ASAP. Maybe why the browser is giving certificate errors and refusing to proceed, because it's a bogus website it's trying to access. Could be your ISP blocking a phishing site, and that's why there's no proceed anyway.

Can you view Facebook or Google OK, because those should be HTTPS secure websites with certificates. Does Google Play work on your device, because if the date and time are wrong or the certificates are messed up, that won't connect.

The "Trusted credentials" in Android are at the system level, and there's no way to mess around with them or compromise them, unless the devices is rooted. You can add new "user" certificates, and tell it to ignore various pre-installed ones, but that's all you can do at the user level.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  9. Martincloud9

Martincloud9 Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    Thanks for the advice.

After spending a lot of time trying to figure out what was going on, I noticed that my emails were 1 hour out if sync...?? I guess shouting at my mobile wasn't enough...

Turns out the 'automatic' time settings on my email account (Hotmail/Outlook) were incorrect. It was set a Universal GMT?? I set it to London GMT and that seems to have solved the issue. I didn't even know there was a Universal GMT.

Just to state, all other website were working fine. I hope this helps someone in the same predicament as me.

This all seemed to start when I was trying to find a programme on Google play to sync my Google calendar with my Outlook.

Any ideas on one that works? I was using Google Calendar Sync, but apparently this has now no technical support...

mikedt, John Bean and ocnbrze like this.
  10. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    They use terrible terminology. What they call "Universal GMT" is simply GMT; GMT is what it is, no need for extra descriptors.

What they call "London GMT" is just "London time", automatically set to either GMT or BST as appropriate to the time of year. Calling it "London GMT" is both wrong and confusing.

Can't help on Outlook sync, I haven't used Outlook for years... and hopefully never will again;-)

mikedt likes this.