1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General The spped of life accelerates

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Midiman, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Midiman

Midiman Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Male
    Professional musician, photographer, computer prog
    Upstate, NY
    When shopping for a phone on December 20th it was a close toss-up between the HTC Titan and the Skyrocket, both very new phones. I have to confess I would have taken the Titan despite the lack of a card slot if the store had one in stock. They said they would have one the next day so I waited. That night I spent more time researching the OS instead of the hardware, which I found to be pretty impressive. The OS, on the other hand, seemed to be the biggest abomination I have ever seen, relying completely on cloud technology for all data and file transfers. I ended up with the Skyrocket having no experience with Android what-so-ever and I've been very happy with it for 3 weeks or so. Despite both these phones being just a few months old, I now find the Skyrocket HD and the Titan II are both just around the corner. Why lock us into two year hardware contracts and then release new phones every three months? I'm a little miffed.

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Meh...its always been this way (sort of)

For as long as I can remember there has been something new and exciting coming out about every three months ....just in the past it typically was not coming from the same manufacturer

3. NativeTxn

NativeTxn Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    Also, since the carriers are (at least to a certain extent) subsidizing the cost of the phone (i.e. why you can get an on-contract phone for say $150 or $200 that you have to buy off-contract for $550 or $600), isn't some of the reason for the 2-year contract to lock you in long enough to make back some/all of the difference?

Or is that a myth I've heard?

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder

Indeed...I wonder also if this slew of new phones is not only to attract new buyers but to entice those on contract to pay full price for the latest and greatest

5. johentie

johentie Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    heh... welcome to the a life a gadget hobbyist! the question is always "should i get what's out now or wait??"

you will ALWAYS be waiting!!

Since iphone 1 came out i bought that at full pop.. since then i have NEVER spent a penny on the phone!!

i keep selling and buying and getting Rogers to send me phones on early upgrades through retentions after a year or so..

i've had

iphone 1, Tmobile G1, blackberry 8700, blackberry 8900, blackberry 9700, iphone 4, blackberry 9800, blackberry 9900, Rogers S2 LTE.

and everytime i've asked myself... should i wait!?

6. Midiman

Midiman Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Male
    Professional musician, photographer, computer prog
    Upstate, NY
    Yeah, I said all that back in the original Skyrocket HD thread. But I'm used to at least a 6 month (if not a year) before being relegated to the land of dinosaurs. Three months is a little ridiculous. It's market gouging breaking the backs of consumers. Samsung could have put that display on the original Skyrocket instead of bending us over a fence.

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    <my list, which only covers the last 6 months :p

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

^ lol

Mr. Ed likes this.