• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The "Stupid Tax" Thread

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    We all hate paying stupid tax! In other words, foolish decisions that end up costing us a lot of money. To start, here's Chad. Chad was trying to ride his bike and use his Z Fold 3. Gravity happened, as it usually does... and his new $1800 foldable phone hit the road. Kudos to Samsung, though, because the phone worked well for another week!

https://www.sammobile.com/news/this...s-a-good-lesson-not-to-be-too-active-with-it/

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
    What?

I have to pay another tax for being stupid? :oops:

Why do clever people get to keep more money?

Also why are some of those letters in blue? :thinking:

I think you have a faulty keyboard.

Who thinks I'm stupid now? :(

Yes, a fool & his money are soon parted.
    And while I'm clever and don't pay (much) stupid tax, I don't necessarily get to keep the money. I just lose it differently: I got married 31 years ago and I'm still making payments.
    The blue letters are deliberate and I only did it to confuse you. I actually used white letters as well, but now I can't figure out where the letters are on the page.
    And you're on Android Forums, so you probably aren't stupid
    :)

Upvote 0
    Where did it say that samsung is blaming anybody about this? None of my Sammy's have blown up like that.
    It literally said reckless user, in the article body. Sammobile is affiliated, if not directly endorsed, by Samsung. Doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

Also, anecdotes aside, it proves Samsung hasn't learned a thing since the Note 7.

Upvote 0
    It literally said reckless user, in the article body. Sammobile is affiliated, if not directly endorsed, by Samsung. Doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

Also, anecdotes aside, it proves Samsung hasn't learned a thing since the Note 7.
    sorry it proves nothing. and i guess i'm not a genius. this is the only incident that has been reported. if this was more widespread you would have seen it by now. plus this guy broke the phone while on a bike and dropped it without a case.......if anything it proves that Chad is not a genius.....LOL

Last edited:
    Reactions: The_Chief
    Upvote 0
    I'm pretty sure that an Apple device would let the smoke out as well,if it did an equivalent plunge onto a hard road surface from a moving bicycle. And we just HAD to do a tech-blog-media jab by regurgitating the ancient Note 7, didn't we? If that's the best argument, there is no argument

:)
    Ancient? Samsung is still selling it; abroad, because it's already been banned by every major market.

The note 7 should have told Samsung to walk it back to a removable battery. That they continue to sell sealed phones at ever increasing prices, is them being rewarded for their failures.

Upvote 0
    Ancient? Samsung is still selling it; abroad, because it's already been banned by every major market.

Wrong!

Fact check: Samsung stopped selling and recalled the Note7 in every market in the world. However they did subsequently sell a Note7 FE(Fan Edition) in South Korea, China, and a few other Asian countries. The FE version had a different and reduced capacity battery. The Note7 FE was never banned anywhere, and did NOT "explode". But that was back in 2017, so yeh...ancient.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    ^- Not even dignifying that with a response. Let's get back on topic and stay there, shall we? Good
    If you won't consider the perspective, then why should I validate you, or your opinion?

Why should a phone battery just fizzle and pop from a single drop? Heck, I've seen many a news article over the years of a phone getting shot to (inadvertently) save their owners' life, and the battery didn't retort by seeping its acid everywhere like these new phones are wont to do. What I take issue with, with this article/episode, is how they were only too quick to blame the user for it exploding. That's all.

No phone maker on this world or any other, is worthy of defense.

Upvote 0
    You run on the assumption that the article gave 100% of the information required, for and against, to complete a fulll analysis of the device (and the manufacturer). No news article has EVER done that. And quite frankly, I didn't seek your validation.

Now: if we can't end this back & forth, which serves no constructive purpose, and go back to the topic, I will ask Mods to close the thread.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones