1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The trust we place in unofficial firmware

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hawker, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

I've been dabbling with KH3 lately and even contemplated giving the Lightening 6.1 rom a go and it got me thinking as to how trusting we are in doing so, particularly with these 3rd party roms. We hold so much personal information on our phones these days such as configuring our email accounts into them and even surf the web logging into our sensitive financial accounts and it doesn't take much knowledge to be able to log all this information and send it somewhere surreptitiously to be analysed. For the extremely technical developers of these roms, this would be a doddle.

Not knowing android at all, perhaps there's sub-measures in place to prevent something like this from happening.

I'm a software developer myself so I'm used to applying security methodologies etc. and implementing such measures into the software I develop, so perhaps its this that's bringing out my paranoia.

I'm not suggesting for 1 minute that this is occurring but it is worth thinking about with regard to what we keep on our phones and our surfing habits.

Food for thought.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Just like apps, it's wise to conduct due dilligence prior to installing ROMs by looking at how the devs' work has been received by others. The likes of Villain and MoDaCo (to name my current favourite builds) have been providing ROMs to the community for some time and are highly respected amongst their peers.

3. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Cheers slug. Its good to hear such reassurances from someone such as yourself.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews